What is fair Mechanic Charge for Replacing Catalytic Converter?

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
bradesp
Car: 2001' Infiniti Qx4

I recently had an engine code indicate my catalytic converter is in need of replacement. My mechanic reset the code to see if it comes back.

I've googled and learned that a new replacement catalytic convert runs about $140 bucks.. What should I expect a mechanic to charge to replace this item?

Thanks!

Holidazed
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE

when i first bought my truck I was having problems with the codes saying my catalytic converter was bad. Since this was supposed to be fixed before I bought the truck from the dealer I took it back and they replaced it for free.

however, they tried 2 times using aftermarket replacement cat's and the codes and service engine soon light still came on. So finally to fix the problem the dealer (I didn't buy from a nissan dealership) had to use a new cat from nissan. $900 canadian part and the bill came to $1700 including labor and taxes. Luckily I didnt have to pay for any of it, but it can be an expensive job.

also keep in mind that there are 3 catalytic converters on the pathfinder (mine is a 2001) so make sure you figure out which one needs to be replaced. But i'd reccomend you get the parts from nissan so everything fits correctly.

fueler
Car: 2 Nissans, 2 BMW's

yup catalytic converter prices vary greatly. Dealer can be upwards of $1000 just for the part and another $1000 for install, like Holidzed mentioned.

Aftermarket catalytic converter prices are much lower (like bradsp mentioned) maybe $300-$600 total job. Personally, i've always gone the cheapest route. I go to my local junkyard, pick up a cat for $75 and install another $75 so $150 total. (honda/toyota prices, ive never bought nissan cats) Although I believe buying a used cat is against federal law so you have to be slick with the junkyard owner if you aren't previously acquainted with them.

razzlerdazzle08
Car: 01 Pathfinder LE

At my job (a nissan dealership) I have seen many 3.5 vq engines burn a cat up because it is burning oil. You need to watch your oil consumption so that you do not spend any more money than you have to and stop up the new cats also. The 5.6 dose it to

rhd itr
Car: 97 nissan pathfinder

i would suggest looking into doing it yourself. Its pretty simple to do

screwinitupagain
Car: 1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE

Holidazed wrote: $900 canadian part and the bill came to $1700 including labor and taxes. Luckily I didnt have to pay for any of it, but it can be an expensive job.
Holy f*ckin hell! I only paid $300 & got a new cat. converter, exhaust pipes & a new Magnaflo exhaust from a local muffler shop (love them boys)

Malachi II
Car: 2001 QX 4

Hello first post.

Just recently purchased a 2001 QX4 and had the cats (2) go out. I have been told to go to the dealer and pay $800/cat, yet I see aftermarket parts for much less.

So what is the story? Is it fight the check engine life and save losts of money or take it to the dealership and not have the light go on as soon as it gets off the local muffler shop lift?

Thanks!

Modified by Malachi II at 8:47 PM 9/26/2009
Modified by Malachi II at 6:04 PM 9/27/2009

korbeano89
Car: 1997 infiniti QX4

id do it your self, i had to replace my exhaust manifold but i also had to take my cat out and honestly it wasnt that bad, all you need is like a two foot extension with a swivel and a deep socket and take the bolts off the manifold there should be 6.

first; take off the pipe that connects to the cat and the muffler(iv only got the pic closest to the cat but you'll find the other three bolts) oh dont forget to take off your sensor.

second; take the heat shields of the cat, third; then get your extension,swiver,and i think it was a 10mm deep socket and take the bolts off, its going to take some time but id rather wast time than money.

and then just throw the other one in and reassemble and your good to go.

just thought id show you what happend to me

my manifold broke right after the cat (while i was driving) now i paranoid that i bent a rod because i just drove the rest of the way home, but all sounds good.

this is what it looked like when i got it all out

Modified by korbeano89 at 1:41 AM 9/27/2009

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”