What do you KA guys use for Engine managment.

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
george
Car: autocross

also dealers make more on JWT then they do on haltech systems...just an interesting note.

BinaryVertigo

Turbo_Nismo_EC wrote:Ok..I've been having problems with posting on here lately so before I typed a long message I wanted to make sure it worked.

Anyway........

After reading what some of you are talking about I checked on getting one of those Haltechs instead of the JWT kit. I don't know if any of you are familiar with them, but I contacted Alamo Autosports in Arlington Texas becuase they are the closest Haltech dealer to me, and I know they frequently use JWT products. Now they said that for the money the Haltech is a very good tuning tool, HOWEVER, for a daily driven vehicle, like mine, the JWT system will be better. He said that if he were me he would go with the JWT kit and use an AFR or AFC to tune the fuel better to make up for any sort of problem with the JWT kit. Just like the HAltech it would take tuning, but it would be done right, with no problems. As a matter of fact he said he has done a number of daily driven cars that way over the years and has had no problems.

i think this would be efficient also...please no flames but it does save you some money...i dont see how you can go wrong with a properly tuned jwt ecu and a s-afc....i mean no matter how you're still controlling the output to the injectors...if you feel indifferent, please disagree away since i'm still new to the subject

thanks-demitri

APEXi240
Car: 08 Versa S hatch

I don't understand how a Haltech wouldn't be good for daily driving...(although I'm no pro). Can't you program and save two different maps/setups. Once you have one set I don't see how it'll be different than running any other type of management (except that it will be more precise).

The JWT isn't specifically tuned, thats the thing...they have "programs" or levels or whatever. If I'm running all kinds of boost I'd want something car-specific... Hell if your gonna spend 5-8k turboing your engine why go with some computer that you can't adjust...then have to buy an S-AFC on top of it? I dunno...thats just my opinion.

george

its not just injector pulse you have to control and even with the AFC its not that much control, also there are so many other variables, ignition retard, air density, air intake temp, timing adjustments. if the central ecu is not adapt at controlling these variables cuz its not designed for that it wont react quick enough if it senses detonation. the afc is just a band aid.

also lets say i wanna run nitrous, 15psi, but i also wanna run race gas, turn down the boost, and a host of other changes. how can a one size fits all ecu satify all customers? 240sx's run drag races, street racing, auto x, track racing...an kinda racing.

With a JWT ECU you pay $900 for the programming, 400 if you wanna run nitrous and if you wanna run more boost you pay $350 for the cobra mass airflow meter. $1600 for what? a system you cant adjust, have to rely on JWT to make changes, is slow to react and save your engine. i ran the stage two program and the car idled like total ****. for $1200 you can have the sds system that pros use and get insane amounts of power with it

also i got more power from the standalone than the jwt, and not just 10-20hp i gained 50hp to the wheels using a stand alone. believe it or not. now i am building up a ka24de to run over 30psi and i am so glad i have a stand alone.

george

yeah you can, you can have two different programs, one for daily and one for track check out the sds website. also try running your car with a stage to JWT program...talk about unstreetable, my 240sx never had problems till i ran JWT ECU. the car wouldnt idle it would die at the traffic lights, run EXTRA EXTRA RICH, black smoke every time i nailed it....sucked i am telling you it sucked. with the sds you can have two programs and tune your own engine and run any octane you want...check it out save yourself some cash

george

guys seriously if anyone is in the san diego area and wants to see my 240sx and how it idles and how quick it is running at only 16psi. i challednge any 240sx running the jwt **** at equal boost to a race. its ridiculous how much more power i gained.

does anyone remember that 240sx that was published in turbo magazine article called pressure cooker? well he is running the JWT and the AFC, at 25psi he got 365 to the wheels..respectable but i can get that much power running only 13psi and i have a dyno sheet.

BinaryVertigo

i am in huntington beach...some what close to sd...do you wanna meet up some times?

BinaryVertigo

also...could you post your dyno sheet? 350+ with 13 psi is just awesome

george

hell yeah i will show you my 240sx

george

i could fax it to you if you want

BinaryVertigo

wow that was fast haha...anyways...with the haltech you would have the have a laptop in your car all the time...dont you think that's some what inconvienient?thanks

george

no i dont have a lab top in the car, i tuned it to run 11psi low boost and 17 high boost. i am getting some more work done to it next week so if you are in the area this weekend you could check it out

BinaryVertigo

so you have an independent switch that you use to switch from low to high boost?also why only 17? shouldnt do be running at a much higher psi?what is your setup?

george

yeah the engines fully built low comp pistons, pauter rods, JWT cams, nitrous oxide. i love to auto x the car, i ran 25psi at the auto x track sponsored by the porsche car club and the car was so powerfull i could barely keep it on the track its was i dare to say too powerful. a twin turbo porsche owner drove it and was shocked to realize it was more powerful than his car

so to be more competetive at the scca i turned down the boost but next week i am taking it to f-max and i plan on running 30psi of boost at the silver state

george

as i said come check it out..do you have a 240?

BinaryVertigo

i have a KA motor set (along with some turbo parts) in the garage from a friend who did the sr swap and i'm lookin for a decent shell to put it in still...keep us posted on your projectthanks

insane_240

I have a ka24e built bottom end 8.3:1 Je pistons 10 over. Shot peened rods, total seal rings, arp head studs, port and polish head. t04 turbo running haltech f9. Long story short. I've heard bad things from people using JWT reprogramed ecu. Just to name a few. Kenji the blue greddy sponsored s14 on cover of a few import mags had problems and disliked the JWT setup. Another guy named David in san antonio had problems with the setup also. They give JWT the right specs and what goals they wanted to achieve. Not trashing JWT they do some good work, but fact of the matter is, the ka24e or DE ecu was not meant to register boost. Even with reprogram its not going to handle it that well and can't hold multi fuel maps/programs. Plus with JWT setup you can't tune the ignitions timings/firing per rpm nor per boost. All you can do is adjust how much fuel it dumps into the motor. You lose a lot of hp there alone. There isn't any one "best fuel management system out there". As long as it can program different fuel maps and ignition timing it is good. Mainly depends on the tuner. Which system he is most comfortable and experienced with.

Get a JWT reprogramed ecu if you tight on money or not wanting to run high boost. Running high boost on JWT ecu even on a built motor is a accident waiting to happen. email me if you need more info.

Turbo_Nismo_EC
Car: My truck...of course

insane_240.....You disabled your e-mail so I couldn't e-mail you. I am curious as to what you're doing with your KA24E. You have pretty much the same built motor I do. How does it do? I don't know if you went through and read all the replies, but I am planning on running a JWT kit with the cobra maf, with an afc to fine tune it on my 95 Nissan Hard Body.......or that is what the shop close to me wants to do, as they say it will be better for daily driving. Plus I'm not planning on running any more than 10-12 psi anyway, so I figure this would be great for me. I just wanted to hear your 2 cents on it.

Night
Car: working on my car

i was planing on running the nsport kit with froged pistons and rods and i was plaing to up the boost so i was going to go with the JWT ecu stage 2 now reading all this i not sure if i want to i was thinking about the SA but i dont know what one to look at i havent really looked at them becuse i was set on the JWT. i wnat to be able to run like 7psi just to drive around then when some guy wants to mess with me up the boost to like 13psi and when i go to the track i want to be able to run high boost on racing fuel. so after reading all the post i see JWT isnt the way to go. i have a laptop so there is no prob there but i wouldnt even know where to look for a SA that is user frenely and can you have like 3 set ups to switch between?

BinaryVertigo

i'm assuming there has to be an accessory to the haltech e6k that lets you toggle between a couple of different settings. The system has been out for a good while now and i'm sure through r&d they should have programmed the toggle capability since it's not all that difficult compared to the rest of the things they are able to do and because it's sensible. i'm studying the system right now. you might want to go to haltech.com to check them out and download the sample software. IMO stand alones are far "cleanner" than upgraded ecu with a couple of piggy backs because your cockpit will be less cluttered and fuel delivery/ignition map will be more direct/accurate.-demitri

doctorj240
Car: Black s14 w/ redtop

i'm thinking you can save fuel/ignition maps to your laptop. when you want to change settings for increased boost you download it to the sa. you'll have to have your laptop when you want to go race.

insane_240

When I first got the car back, I took it to the tracks and did [email protected] on 12 psi on street tires. Sucky time but keep in mind the haltech was crudely tuned running rich as hell to prevent detonation and I have no lsd rear-end. Waiting to break in the motor before I fine tune the haltech and to crank up the boost. Taking longer than usual since I have a crx with a b16a been built I'm messing around with at the moment :) My suggestion is not to go with the JWT setup. I was recommended that route when I was getting my motor rebuilt. I decided to go with the haltech cause it came out to like only 500 bucks more for the unit and installed compared to the JWT setup. Turbo_nismo if you need some more info you can message me at [email protected]

Jason
Turbo_Nismo_EC wrote:insane_240.....You disabled your e-mail so I couldn't e-mail you. I am curious as to what you're doing with your KA24E. You have pretty much the same built motor I do. How does it do? I don't know if you went through and read all the replies, but I am planning on running a JWT kit with the cobra maf, with an afc to fine tune it on my 95 Nissan Hard Body.......or that is what the shop close to me wants to do, as they say it will be better for daily driving. Plus I'm not planning on running any more than 10-12 psi anyway, so I figure this would be great for me. I just wanted to hear your 2 cents on it.

cnichols
Car: 96 Nissan 240SX, 99 Infiniti Q45, 93 Ford Fastiva

doctorj240 wrote:i'm thinking you can save fuel/ignition maps to your laptop. when you want to change settings for increased boost you download it to the sa. you'll have to have your laptop when you want to go race.

You could always install a computer in your car like I'm doing, use a TV as your monitor, get a cordless optical mouse and a mini keyboard mounted in the glove box :ylsuper

TruboostPerformance

well I am running the APEXi SAFC and a VOrtech FMU @ 8psi and she runs great, no jerking and no leaning out, I have had her on the dyno and she has plenty of fuel, running about 13:1 straight across teh board on the dyno sheet...

george

no offence but 8psi is not that much. i am sure the afc could handle that much but wait till you wanna run 15psi or 20psi see how it runs then

TruboostPerformance

Well this guy is running about the same equipment I am and he seems to be doing well, I think it jus depends on what your setup is and if you know how to run it correctly,http://www.back-yard-productions.com/CONROY.htm

TruboostPerformance

The gold 240 is what I am refering too, with 400whp...

ADAMHU

you wanna see rich.... here is a dyno run at 11-12psi done last week....on my sohc kat...can't wait for my JWT set up to lean this out....

http://www.geocities.com/clown-man.geo/dynorun.jpg
insane_240 wrote:When I first got the car back, I took it to the tracks and did [email protected] on 12 psi on street tires. Sucky time but keep in mind the haltech was crudely tuned running rich as hell to prevent detonation and I have no lsd rear-end. Waiting to break in the motor before I fine tune the haltech and to crank up the boost. Taking longer than usual since I have a crx with a b16a been built I'm messing around with at the moment :) My suggestion is not to go with the JWT setup. I was recommended that route when I was getting my motor rebuilt. I decided to go with the haltech cause it came out to like only 500 bucks more for the unit and installed compared to the JWT setup. Turbo_nismo if you need some more info you can message me at [email protected]

Jason

cnichols
Car: 96 Nissan 240SX, 99 Infiniti Q45, 93 Ford Fastiva

Please do NOT go with the JWT...are you not listening to the other people on the board?

What happens if doesn' lean it out...or leans it out too much? Why bother spending all that money for something with NO adjustability?

GET A HALTECH OR ELECTROMOTIVE!!!!!!

Night
Car: working on my car

the haltec are sounding nice but what happens to the guy that has no clue where to even start with messing with the fuel and adjusting it i have been looking around every where and i cant seem to find out where to learn how to do this. So for me the JWT upgread sounds good. and what if i want to still have my AC can the haltec still have that on? i want my car to be some what of a daly driver. i have been looking at the haltec's and the motec's and i downloaded both there programs and i dont know where to start with half the stuff.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”