What are the little things that bug you about the Versa

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
cerveza_fiesta
Car: 1993 Pathfinder SE 4x4

Was looking at buying one of these things for tooting around town and short trips. Manual shift, base-mid option package. Nothing too fancy

I'm the type of person that gets very irritated by little things and they often make all the difference for me in a purchase/no purchase decision. As owners of Versas, what could you tell me are the little things that irritate you about your Versa?

Also add things that make the car great.

-CF

frankoV
Car: 2008 SL Sedan, Magnetic Grey, CVT

Seems quality control is an issue.

You either get an awful one (EV) or a great one (me).

Mileage bugged me to begin with but has improved immensely as the time has gone on.

The other issue: dealer support. You either get an awful one (any number of people) or a good one (again, me . . . no complaints, once I found the one I'm at).

DejaWiz
Car: See sig for details.

The car has been great so far for my wife and I.

There are a few little design nuances, but nothing that bugs me to the extend to make me regret my purchase whatsoever:

1. Front console cupholders - the staggered design is poor when trying to fit 2 larger cups up front. Wish they were side by side and spread out a bit more than they are.

2. Rear seats (hatchback model) - fold flat would have been super nice.

3. Non Rockford audio system - a more aggressive lower frequency output from the speakers would have been nice since it lacks a lot of depth.

4. A/C comes on whenever the HVAC selector is moved to or if the vehicle is started when the Defrost or Desfrost/Floor mode is selected, regardless of temperature dial setting.

5. Wish BOTH front windows had auto down/up feature.

6. Front seats lack lower back/lumbar support... not good on longer trips for a back pain sufferer like myself.

Added some things that others have brought up which I agree with.
Modified by DejaWiz at 7:44 AM 9/9/2008

rwanttaja

cerveza_fiesta wrote:As owners of Versas, what could you tell me are the little things that irritate you about your Versa?

Also add things that make the car great.
No automatic headlights (heard this might have been added for the 2009s).

Steering wheel too far forward (can't get a position with both sufficient legroom and comfortable arm extension).

Poor visibility (thick A-pillar, thick frames around rear window (hatchback).

Power sockets turning off with the ignition (would like to put a cell phone on overnight charge in the garage). This isn't unique to Versas, of course.

What I like? The MP3 disk capability on the 6-CD changer, the manueverability, the ride (good for a small car), the CVT, and its general suitability as a short-commute car.

Ron

greggie195
Car: 09 Versa SL

I just got my 09 SL HB less than a week ago put 600 miles on it and as it is breaking in I like it more and more. Things I dont like so much:

-position of power outlet. I am using a sirius standalone and I have a wire running from the radio to it. I like that the power truns off when the car is off so that I wont kill the battery and do not have to unplug my sirius

-No factory available Sirius (as of now, Im sure it will be available)

-Ride is unrefined and a bit of a bone shaker. I drive through the Bronx every week and to Brooklyn at least twice a month so I am driving on very unsmooth roads. On a smooth highway it is a nice ride.

-Intelligent key seems to be hit or miss. Works 90% of the time first shot for me. Not so for my fiance, the thing doesnt like her.

-@ 2800 RPMs I get slight buzz through the gas pedal

-Engine is buzzy, like a bumble bee.

-The one thing that really annoys me is that the dash lights are always on, and the 09's do NOT have auto lights, and that would be a major plus. If the dash lighst are always on the car should have auto on lights

To me these are all very minor issues and on the whole I am beginning to love this car. I love that at 70mph I am holding 2400 RPMs (with a 1.8L engine, you cant beat that) . Love the bluetooth, 6cd changer is nice. Big comfy seats and ultra roomy. To me it seems like they really put some thought into the design of this car.

kc5f
Car: Versa SL HB CVTs - 2008 (daughter), 2007's (both RIP). I'm now in a silver 2012, my son a silver 2015 Note, my wife a bright yellow 2016 Juke.

I had to wait to see what others didn't like, as I had a hard time thinking of any! But I guess I'd have to agree with the thick A-pillar, as I don't see as well at certain turn angles as I did with my previous cars.

What I do like: Comfort and quality of the SL; smooth, quiet ride; interior space; smooth CVT with rock-solid cruise control...

MacGnG
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback SL

only one cig lighter plug (would like 2), glove box doesnt lockno DTE/timer/MPG on the dash board (only trip A and B)

not real big deals but i love the car and the CVT is great

Visaversa
Car: 2008 Versa S Sedan

Very few complaints but:-Auto headlights would have been nice-Auto door lock with separate trunk release-Paint seems thin and scratches easily-Vulnerable to windy days on the freeway-Trunk on sedan has noisy tension springsand lastly, center dash comes down to two points and the one on the driver's side comes into contact with my right knee at times, I'm 6'2".

sooner4x4
Car: 2007 Versa S sedan

A couple of things have already been mentioned:

1. Cupholders are not real useful.2. Since dash lights are always on, it would be a great improvement if there were a small indicator light that came on when the headlights were on (like on my Toyota Sienna).

My daughter's (new driver) complaints:

1. markings on the speedometer2. up/down buttons to tune radio

Vice

My .02:Can't fit your hand into the door pockets with the door closed. Narrow hatch openingNo beige interior with red or sapphire exteriorNo visor extensions

These I can live with. The worst thing is getting into another vehicle and having to use a *@&!! key to start it! The humanity!!

srellim234
Car: 2007 silver Versa SL
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

Pretty much the same types of complaints.

Front cupholders too tight under the dash.Bottleholders in the door a hair too narrow; 1 liter bottles either have to be wedged in or they don't fit.Rear seat cupholders are built into fold down armrest in the seat; if you have three people in the back they have no cupholders at all.Dash lights always on; in well lit areas you can't tell if the headlights are on or off.Fold flat rear seats would be nice but they would destroy the rear seat legroom. Nice having a back seat that accommodates 6 foot people comfortably.No autolocking doors on ignition.Simple things like the in-cabin filter filter should be a lot easier to change than they are. The car overall is not as easy to work on as it should be.Car is not geared for city driving; it sucks gas around town.

For the price point, the car has a tremendous number of positives. Unless you have very narrow needs or expectations out of the car, for every nitpick it seems to have a redeeming feature to offset it.

Driving Instructor
Car: 2007 nissan versa SL CVT Red

Crappy gas mileage IN TOWN is my biggest concern!

msb0b

80mph @ 4000rpm in 6th gear.Seat lacks lumbar support.
greggie195 wrote:-No factory available Sirius (as of now, Im sure it will be available)
My 2007 has factory Sirius. It was also available as DIO for $300 plus labor.

Skim302
Car: Nissan Versa S

The haters

boxcarbill
Car: '07 Versa SL hatch 6 speed white/beige int.

If you're getting a manual shift pay close attention to the computer controlled throttle delay while shifting on your test drive. It still bugs me, also all the interior rattles and creaks are another bummer.My 07 6 speed is now getting 34 mpg (semi rural area) as long as I don't go over 60, very nice in that department. You don't get any additional overdrive with the 6 sp, just another gear to go through.

boxcarbill
Car: '07 Versa SL hatch 6 speed white/beige int.

msb0b wrote:Seat lacks lumbar support.
I had my seamstress make a cloth covered foam lumbar support pad from 2 pieces of stacked 1/2 inch foam which hangs from the 2 head rest supports. Clips on the ends of the 1&1/4 inch wide nylon straps can be disconnected from the head rest supports to remove the thing.

1 piece of 1/2 inch foam 11x11 with another piece of 1/2x11x(about 5, I believe) sewn inside the upholstery cloth. It works great and my back is a real problem without good lumbar support.

blockmachining
Car: 08 Versa, 02 Quest, 1997 Ford F250 Supercab 4x4 Powerstroke Diesel, 1948 Dodge Pickup, 1987 Honda Su

I believe the biggest issue is with how crosswinds really affect the car. It can get bad enough that steering inputs are required to keep it in your lane. I'd say anything over a 12-15 mph crosswind affects the car.

City mileage is a little less than desired. Highway mileage a little less than desired when you go over 60 mph.

The look of the car is European and has yet to really grow on me.

On the positive side, and there are many.....The CVT is unbelieveably smooth and quite. No shift shocks whatsoever! Interior space for an economy car is outstanding. Very low wind noise and great ride for a small car. The car has lots of features for the money.

greggie195
Car: 09 Versa SL

msb0b wrote:80mph @ 4000rpm in 6th gear.Seat lacks lumbar support.

My 2007 has factory Sirius. It was also available as DIO for $300 plus labor.
2007 was the only year Sirius was offered, now it is XM, but with the merge that should change.CVT=80mph@~2700RPM

Woody64
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL 6-Speed

My two biggest problems are...

1. It doesn't have wings and therefore cannot fly

2. It cannot bridge the space-time continium

..but seriously...

1. I am 6ft, so I have the seat all the way back and have to lean forward to use the cupholders.

2. I have the ipod interface and it is extremely tedious to navigate through artists, almost dangerous when driving on the highway.

3. Other luxuries like power seats, heated seats, daytime running-lights (automatic), automatic hatch, etc...would be nice but are suggested accessories not problems....

good luck

rwanttaja

Woody64 wrote:My two biggest problems are...

1. It doesn't have wings and therefore cannot fly
Hay-el, my wings AND my Versa together cost me less than a well-equipped Accord...

Ron

VersaMG08
Car: '10 Mazda 3 s hatchback
'14 Nissan 370z

My concerns about the Versa:

- Needs DRL (Daytime Running Lights)

-Offer more color choices like Jade Green (Sentra), Orange (Honda Fit), Brown.

-Back seats should fold flat like the magic seats on the Fit

-ABS should be standard on all Versa models

-Side skirts should match body paint regardless if it's the sport package

-Wheels are small, they look like toy cars

The Versa is still an awesome car, and I like it much more compared to my old '98 Civic I once drove.

I can't think of anything else. If there are some more, please bring them up.

APEXi240
Car: 08 Versa S hatch

Dislikes

-Size of the pillars, changing lanes leaves you with an annoying blind spot.-The speedometer should be numbered at the "5" increments and not only at 40, 50, 60, etc.

Likes-For some it would be the dislikes, but I like the simplicity of the car. No useless options, no fancy gadgetry, basic no-frills car (I own the S, not the SL).-Highway mileage-Smooth, solid feel whether you are on the highway, hitting curvy roads, or getting around town.-Looks, best looking hatchback out of the subcompact group, to me.-Tons of room. I'm 6ft and fit in the back seat comfortably.

Overall I am extremely happy that we made the purchase. I just hope the reliability is as good as I've come to expect from my past experiences with my Nissans.

#1Tango

dislikes:the dramatic drop on the gas gauge when you reach half tank80mps @ 4,000rpmswhen revving the car or shifting, the rpms don't drop instantly but kind of float.the pillar is thick and acts as a nasty blind spot for me.

thats all for me

frankoV

while I agree that many things are "missing (auto headlights for one), its still an entry level car, and you get what you pay for.

ABS standard? Sure . . . and the entry level price goes up. [etc]

Ginsu
Car: White 2009 Versa SL Hatchback

Mine has Daytime Running Lights

longo
Car: 2007 Versa SL, CVT

After looking through all the things that us Versa owners have discovered about our cars...it's interesting to note that Nissan dosn't seem to be listening but Hyundai IS!

If you check off all the problem items you will find them all corrected on this new Versa=Like 2009 'Touring'

Tilt-telescopic steering, standard 4 wheel disk ABS brakes, electronic stability control (ESC) fold flat rear seat, Daytime running lights, front and rear independent suspension, i-pod out of the way in the center arm rest and controlled through the steering wheel audio controls, bigger wheels, heated seats, same mpg's as the Versa, or better, even with bigger engine...to solve a few of the Versa owner concerns here, and then there's that Damn 5 year bumper to bumper factory warranty!

Modified by longo at 5:48 PM 9/10/2008

sargis
Car: 2009 versa s

its still a hyundai

frankoV

Ginsu wrote:Mine has Daytime Running Lights
That's because it is the law in Canada

frankoV

sargis wrote:its still a hyundai
They used to say that about Datsun err . . . Nissan

longo
Car: 2007 Versa SL, CVT

You are right, it's a 2009 Hyundai Touring, not a Nissan Versa. I have suffered though too many cars over the years that were not the 'most recomended', or ranked best in owners satisfaction.

I have learned the hard way to keep an open mind about a lot of things, especially vehicles. Older and wiser now, so things like all these Versa forum owner complaints (many of them valid) worry me, and news stories like this don't help.

"Feb. 28, 2008; Consumer Reports has named two new models to its Top Picks list for 2008 -- the Hyundai Elantra SE and Hyundai Santa Fe as top choices for small sedans and midsized SUVs, respectively."

Return to “Versa General Chat”