weird won't start issue

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
Master_Tao
Car: 93 skyline gts-4

I've been working on my sisters, boyfriends 1996 maxima. The starter had went out so I changed it. At first it wouldn't crank at all. After I changed the starter it cranks fine now but won't start. I checked for spark. It seemed a little weak so I changed the sparkplugs. It's getting great spark now. The plugs smell like fuel, so I assume it's getting fuel. Does anyone have any idea of what else to check? I'm kind of at a loss.

MaximA32

Have you checked all the coils invidually? The 4th generation is known to chew through coils. Have you checked that the MAF sensor?

loystock
Car: 10 Pilot, 97&03 Q45s, 97 I30 and 06 M35 Sports (04 G35 & 99 I30-RIP)

You have to verify that you have sufficient fuel pressure - 34PSI with engine running and 43PSI with engine OFF (Ignition ON). You need to connect a fuel pressure gauge (T-fitting) between fuel filter and fuel rail.

Just a basic check - turn Ignition Switch to ON for at least 5 seconds to allow the pump to run at full pressure ( @ 43PSI) then START the car. If the car starts, you have low fuel pressure due to failing pump or dirty fuel filter.

Check the Crankshaft Position (POS) sensor and related harness going into the ECM. You may also have a loose/dirty connection on the ECM. You can wiggle the main engine harness while somebody else tries to start the car to see if you have a loose connection there. You might as well check the Camshaft position sensor. It's possible that you have a bad ECM.

Here's the link to the FSM:

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/1995/ec.pdf

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”