weird noises in my head

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
bmxruler4130
Car: a 91 se

i noticed a wierd noise comming from my head, its kinda sounds like theres somthing lose. my friend said it might be the cams, and somebody else said to try running thicker oil...??? i dunno its wierd... also i notice my car runs a little rough. i dunno if its because of the head or if it just needs a new rotor??

Aries
Car: LT1 240SS

timing chain.Car is old, may not have ever had a timing chain replaced.Fairly simple, buy and install.

91nis240

need more info, does it only make the noise at idle, all the time or at certain rpm's. One obvious thing is that it could be your timing chain, if it has been replaced before (at anytime) that is not the problem. It could be your valves tapping, and if it only happens when the car is at an idle, check your oil level and if full you could have low oil pressure. You may also need a valve adjustment (if the valve tap is the problem)

bmxruler4130
Car: a 91 se

is the timing chain hard to insall? ive never done it before. the car does it all the time i think... even tho its hard to hear over the fan, and reving...how do you increase the oil pressure? just put more in?

1991240xs

You shouldn't listen to the voices in your head...usually it means you forgot your medication..but it could just be you threw out the 'guide'..and forgot when to take your medication..ok..i'm not funny..i get it-

R240NA

Pull out the chain guides. Guaranteed fix. Check the chain for tension while you're in it, then decide on replacing it. You're looking at 4-6 hours labor with someone quailified, 16 hours through the dealer, and $200-500 in parts depending on your buying skills and whether they're OE or aftermarket. The timing chain isn't technically a "wear" item, not anymore than rod bearings, but Nissan recommends it as a precautionary measure, most older cars running dino oil require it since the oil pump and tensioners get clogged over time. It's not a fun job to do either way.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”