weird noise from engine bay...

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
Speedy13
Car: 1999 Pebble Beige Nissan Maxima

Whats up... My car is a 1999 Maxima SE, 5-Speed, just over 93k miles... Earlier this week its started making this kind of a clicking noise... It doesn't do it when the clutch is pressed down and its louder in lower gears. Its also more noticable at lower RPM's... it doesn't do it if I hold the clutch in and give it a lil gas... It sounds like it may be coming from the rear bank but its hard to tell... Also, I noticed the same time that on start up it idles high, like 12-1500 RPM's... Once I drive it a couple blocks though the idle settles down to the normal 600 or so RPM's(at idle). This guy told me to add some injector cleaner for the idle, so I used Lucas brand... No help though... I think the noise got worse after I added it... Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Edit... The car doesn't have any problems driving or anything yet, and I don't have any issues shifting into or out of any gears...
Modified by Speedy13 at 9:13 AM 9/19/2007

Sentientbydesign
Car: 03 Evo VIII - 330 AWHP
05 Subaru Legacy GT Stg 2 - Sold
05 G35 6MT Coupe - 278 WHP - Sold
04 WW Evo VIII - 302 AWHP - Ex's
96 I30 - Sold

I've gotten lots of suggestions to use Lucas, and I don't see their injector cleaner helping much. The oil additive does despite the test results that someone did saying it made the oil frothy.

I'd open up the throttle body and see if it's dirty. Use a bottle of gumout injector cleaner. You could also clean your IAC valve. Mine was FULL of little black pellets. Really weird.

xerexabante
Car: 02 q45, 02 max se

it cloud be your pilot bearing, and or clutch plate, clutch disc.

Speedy13

xerexabante wrote:it cloud be your pilot bearing, and or clutch plate, clutch disc.
would that mess with my drivability? The car still drives like a champ... pulls hard in all gears... Could having a bit too much oil do this? I wouldn't think so, but I just had it changed the last week in august... drove from nashville, TN to myrtle beach and back... and my normal driving for the past two weeks... thanks for the help guys...

xerexabante
Car: 02 q45, 02 max se

it would not mess w/ your dirveability even shifting. if you are really concerned please take it to your trusted mechanic

Speedy13

xerexabante wrote:it would not mess w/ your dirveability even shifting. if you are really concerned please take it to your trusted mechanic
Thanks a lot man... I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to shred anything... I know a lil about cars, but not enough... Thanks again for your help...

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”