Weird Electrical Issues 95 Q

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
LoserBabyQ45
Car: 95 Q45

My 95 Base is experiencing some weird electrical issues. Sometime when I start it up the first time in the morning I get no dash cluster. No speedo no tach no temp. Also no accessories like no HVAC or windows however the stereo works. Occasionally I can coax to work by starting it and putting in N and then turning the key off and then on and the cluster and all comes back. Sometimes this is only temporary and it goes out the minute I use my turn signals or some other electrical device. I am leaning towards either some bad grounds or the ignition switch system or something in the steering column. Any advice from the Q experts would be greatly appreciated.

Skibane
Car: 2000 Q45 AE 110K

Although the Y33 wiring shown below isn't exactly the same as your G50, the Ignition Relay (highlighted n pink) is one possible culprit.

Everything shown below and to the right of the relay contacts is switched through it, everything below and to the left of it is connected directly to the battery.

Sometimes, when the relay contacts are pitted and/or dirty, they only pass current when a substantial load is turned on. Essentially, the extra current cleans the contacts little bit, temporarily making them more conductive.

As soon as the car is turned off, the contacts open, and this better path for current flow is lost.
Last edited by Skibane on Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoserBabyQ45

WOW thats most likely the culprit. Everything on that circuit doesn't work when this thing is having issues. Now to find that little relay and replace it!

LoserBabyQ45

Skibane wrote:Although the Y33 wiring shown below isn't exactly the same as your G50, the Ignition Relay (highlighted n pink) is one possible culprit.

Everything shown below and to the right of the relay contacts is switched through it, everything below and to the left of it is connected directly to the battery.

Sometimes, when the relay contacts are pitted and/or dirty, they only pass current when a substantial load is turned on. Essentially, the extra current cleans the contacts little bit, temporarily making them more conductive.

As soon as the car is turned off, the contacts open, and this better path for current flow is lost.
Thanks for the help. That relay was it. Whipped out the G50 FSM and traced things out. Replaced and all works now.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”