weight reduction????

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z general community discussion forum
rgnissan240sx
Car: 1991 NISSAN 240SX

hi i have an 05 z and i was wondering i anybody here had a rough estimate on how much weight i could shave off the car if get carbon doors hatch and hood i would really appreciate the info thank you very much

Ace2cool
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1966 Datsun Fairlady 1600
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1974 Honda CB550 Four
2009 Ford F150 Lariat

Moving this to 350Z General.

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

Not nearly as much as you think.

If this is being done to a street car you're going to need put a cage in your car as the CF doors do not have the interior structure that the stock doors have (one of the reasons that they're so heavy). You'll need to learn to do without windows or make some of your own out of lexan/plexiglass. I guess that's just more bonus weight savings but you're not going to be able to roll them down.

Along with fabrication of a cage and windows there's the adjustments you'll need to make to the doors. Apparently all of the lower end pieces fit like crap and have to be massaged into place. And like all cf body parts the doors will be easy to damage, door dings suddenly got a lot more expensive than just buffing out a scrape.

CF hoods don't seem much lighter to me than the stock hood (remember it's aluminium to begin with), I'm guessing you'd save five pounds or so depending on the hood. The hatch however is a bundle of weight savings (by comparison) I remember reading on some vendor site (Enjuku maybe?) that it saved close to 40 pounds over the stock hatch. But they're going to cost you. I'd be putting my money someplace more meaningful like wheels...saving weight (unsprung, rotating mass at that!) in a place that's going to require far less work to get it looking right on your car.

rgnissan240sx
Car: 1991 NISSAN 240SX

o thank you for advise and you make sense will do what you say ill prob just get the hatch then i dont want to deal with the hassle of a cage just yet thanks again

Retired Chief

Also depends on the type of Carbon Fiber. Most of the inexpensive CF you see on tuner cars is CF reinforced fiberglass pieces which is simply a fiberglass part being covered in a veneer of carbon fiber cloth and then a resin applied to harden the laminate. A true "dry" CF hood for the 350Z is pretty light but it also cost close to $2,000. Those hoods you see that cost around $500 new are not true dry CF. Is your Z garage kept of do you use a car cover? The sun can ruin your CF parts in a single summer.

kuhan
Car: 2008 350Z Enthusiast 6-speed

Quoted from another site, created by "Archaismic"
Ok. So there's this never ending battle between people's guessing how much something weighs and how much it really weighs. We'd all like to think that when we take something off the car for weight loss it weighs 200lbs. That's just not the case. But it adds up fast.

fron brace
front brace weight
steering wheel
steering wheel weight
console
console weight
glove box and speaker cover w/ glove box door
glove box and speaker cover w/ glove box door weight
rear hatch
rear hatch weight
stock sub plate
plate weight
hatch interior trim panel
hatch panel weight

I hope this clears a few things up.

NOTE!!!!... this is all from an '03 track... weights may vary from year to year

If anyone has anything else they want me to weigh let me know. I'll be weighing the bulk of the interior trim panels here some day. I'll also gather up my spare and the truck crap for weighing later.

!!UPDATE!!

hood
hood weight
front bumper crush brackets (both)
front bumper crush brackets weight
undercarriage panels. one front one rear
undercarriage panels. one front one rear weight
unorthodox lightweight flywheel (gear plate and clutch surface)
unorthodox lightweight flywheel (gear plate and clutch surface) weight
basket of various trim panels and sound deadening
basket of interior trim panels and sound deadening weight

I'll make a more detailed list of all the trim plastic after i pull the rest and weigh them, but i can only weigh them in bulk. The ones above are as follows:
passenger side under-dash panel with cup holder
center console flip up holder thingy (the one that's lined with felty stuff that sits in front of the hazard light button)
driver and passenger side step in lip cover (the little curved plastic pieces that snap from the rear of the door sill up to the dash
rear strut tower rear side panels (the little ones that hang out over the Styrofoam pieces in the trunk that are aligned athwart ships)
rear strut tower underside panel (the one with the little hole so you can pull the emergency hatch release)
drivers and passenger side rear factory side skirt add-ons
air diversion panels from lower engine compartment forward of the radiator support
hatch trim panels minus the large main panel and the tail light cover (both side pieces and top straight piece)
bose sub cover (the one without the hole for the sub cause i dont have the bose package)

rear carpet, mat, and plastic cover for tools/spare
rear carpet,mat, and plastic cover for tools/spare weight
styrofoam spacers for tools/spare
styrofoam spacers for tools/spare weight
full (as in has air in it) spare
full (as in has air in it) spare weight
"the box" w/ fuel door, antenna, hood release, and most of the random nuts bolts and spacers and stuff from removing stuff (ohh and the front airbag sensor)
weight of "the box"

i MIGHT do doors, MG hatch w/ glass, engine compartment dress plastic panels, and track edition underframe support braces tomorrow (2/11/09)

NEW!!!
SEIBON carbon fiber door
SEIBON carbon fiber door weight
stock cat
stock cat weight

Retired Chief

^^^ Excellent post!! +1

Return to “350z / 370z Discussion”