Water Leak - right front passenger dash - 00 max - any suggestions? (pics)

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
bpomps

im having a leak somewhere in front of the dash behind the glove compartment. i cannot see where it is actually coming from but as you can see in the pics it is dripping down and soaking into the carpet. its enough that the carpet is soaked after it rains - and its been raining almost everyday. there is also another slight leak on the bottom corner where i circled in the red underneath the car.

we ran water down the middle / passenger side of the car and the water leaks down to the front where its leaking in.

any ideas?

lightsout
Car: 00 Nismo Maxima SE

my guess is your window seal/glue somewhere just got worn out. but it's a guess

allensteiner
Car: 1995 Nissan Maxima GLE, 2005 Pontiac Bonneville SE

remove the glove box and i bet it's coming in through the cowel and leaking through the blower or somewhere around there.

bpomps

allensteiner wrote:remove the glove box and i bet it's coming in through the cowel and leaking through the blower or somewhere around there.
is there a thread with steps on removing the dash?

allensteiner

i doubt it. just remove the glove box, not the dash.

D_roc
Car: 2001 Maxima 20th aniv edition

yea i'd say its some where from the blower toob/c the water leak is kinda toward the middle

bpomps

Found the leaks. i removed the blower motor /fan housing - once that was out i was able to see water coming in from these two spots. i dont know what these two items do but they seem to be located inside the well area below the wipers and the plastic housing where the wipers are.

Any suggestions on what these are ? replaceable?

allensteiner

no clue what these are but you can put liquid gasket or silicone them up to keep the water out.

bpomps

finally located the leak from the topside. looks like these tabs that are underneath the plastic housing where the wipers are located have gaskets that are basically worn out. the area below is where the water runs down and out the car but the two in the center that are circled are located directly above the air intake for the a/c. so its basically dripping water straight down into the a/c intake blower motor - looks like its been leaking for awhile. also - there was no in-cabin filter when i took the blower motor out ! there was a ton of dead leaves, twigs, dirt and grime all in the evaporator housing.

allensteiner

i wonder what those tabs are for? - my 95 doesn't have them. look for the cabin filter on ebay because they run about $70 from a dealership.

bpomps

allensteiner wrote:i wonder what those tabs are for? - my 95 doesn't have them. look for the cabin filter on ebay because they run about $70 from a dealership.
im guessing they have something to do with the plastic housing that covers that area with the wipers. nothing seems to snap into them on the housing. in the circle with two tabs - the one tab pushes against the windshield but i dont see anywhere where all the other tabs come into play - maybe they are for some other option (wiring,access) that the car doesnt have? thanks for the tip on the cabin filter - hopefully this leak is sealed and i can do some engine mods!

Cal Learner
Car: 1990 Maxima GXE

Resurrecting an old thread that seems on-point for a leak in my good wife's 1990 GXE. Just started, and it's a slow drip, but right in the middle of the right front footwell, just like bpomps had. Thanks for all the photos. Couple of questions. (1) The two leaking spots inside the cabin were accessed by removing the glove box and then also the blower assembly, is that right? But what, if anything, was done to seal those two spots inside the cabin? (2) What was the fix on the topside to stop the water intruding through the firewall into the cabin? New gaskets on those two drain inlets under the wipers? Or something else? Thanks.

bpomps

Cal Learner wrote:Resurrecting an old thread that seems on-point for a leak in my good wife's 1990 GXE. Just started, and it's a slow drip, but right in the middle of the right front footwell, just like bpomps had. Thanks for all the photos. Couple of questions. (1) The two leaking spots inside the cabin were accessed by removing the glove box and then also the blower assembly, is that right? But what, if anything, was done to seal those two spots inside the cabin? (2) What was the fix on the topside to stop the water intruding through the firewall into the cabin? New gaskets on those two drain inlets under the wipers? Or something else? Thanks.
you dont need to remove anything inside. on the outside - take off the plastic housing that goes along the bottom of the windshield and wipers, if you have those little tabs there then thats where your leak should be. i used regular ol silicone gasket maker and its been fine since. its a quick fix. good luck :inoutgay:

Cal Learner

Many thanks. You refer to them as 'tabs', but they look like inlets for drains. Did you simply fill up the tab slots with silicone or put the sealer underneath/around those black plastic 'tabs'? It will probably become apparent when I pull the plastic housing and expose that area, but it would be helpful to know what to expect when I get there. Thanks bpomps.

bpomps

Cal Learner wrote:Many thanks. You refer to them as 'tabs', but they look like inlets for drains. Did you simply fill up the tab slots with silicone or put the sealer underneath/around those black plastic 'tabs'? It will probably become apparent when I pull the plastic housing and expose that area, but it would be helpful to know what to expect when I get there. Thanks bpomps.
yea they are inlets, i just say tabs cuz they remind me of plastic tabs. anyway, when you take off the housing youll see them and youll see some crappy worn out black seal - if there is anything left of it. use a small flathead screwdriver, pliers and take out the inlet tab thingy, clean off the old seal put on your new gasket maker, silicone whatever you use and push the inlet tab back in.

Cal Learner

OK, I'm with you now. If that's indeed where my wife's GXE is leaking, should be an easy fix. Thanks for the quick replies.

Cal Learner

Another successful outcome. Based on the info bpomps posted, I had an identical problem fixed by replacing these plastic plugs, just as bpomps had suggested. At first, I thought these things were drain inlet grommets, but they're actually closed plastic plugs that are supplosed to seal up the holes in the firewall. Anyway, simple DIY job and the leak is history! Thanks again, you guys.

ucscore

your leak is from the condensate drain (for the a/c ), in the engine compartment.
you can find the drain tube just below the heater hoses. I had look for from the bottom up.look just behind he passager side wheel,up along the firewall.you'll see the drain there sticking thur the firewall about 1/2" long.the dealer here in cincinnati,has told me there no real fix for this leak. they suggested to put RTV around the opening to stop the condensation from going back into the passager compartment.

Ericnissan
Car: 2003 Nissan Maxima

I believe the "plastic tabs" in the pics are actually where the anchors for the plastic housing snap in. By siliconing around them water will correctly drain to the corner and down the drain tube to the ground rather then leaking through any holes around the "plastic tabs" into the well below. Otherwise water could end up leaking onto the passenger floor. If wet carpet occurs when hot and dry out versus raining it's more likely the condensate drain tray has leaves and drain tube is plugged. If blowing compressed air into the drain tube (you can access from behind passenger front tire) works but problem comes back, you can remove the glove box, remove the cabin filters and clean part of the tray through the empty cabin filter compartment using a small vacuum hose spliced to larger shopvac hose. Good luck!

NutriaforBreakfast
Car: Nissan Maxima 1995 VQDE engine

I would run the AC for 10-15 minutes to see if water was coming from the evaporator
The condensate/water drain hose might be stopped up if the AC is cold.
If the AC is not cold, the evaporator might have a hole in it

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”