VQ33 build

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
DaveVQ
Car: 2000 Nissan Maxima

Since my creation my account over here on Nicoclub, I have definetly noticed the abundant amount of knowledge here on this forum, which I find really impressive. So I decided to start my build thread over here on this forum. Which I have pushed back till January now due to I need the car to drive to NY/PA to visit family (reliability with this new engine is not determined since I will be the first to attempt it). This will the thread of the complete work.

Exterior:-Carbon Fiber hood*-Carbon fiber trunk-Paint rims black (I know alot of people are saying don't do it, but these rims are only going to stay on the car till feb. when I get a set of bronze 18" nismo's)*

Interior:-Permanent Laptop with Verizon access card (I have a server at home where I can stream my music to my car from anywhere with full play lists)*-Double din 6-7" screen DVD player with either S-video or RCA video input and aux input (need suggestions for one that can interface for the touch screen for a computer)-Corbeau solid black cloth seats (A4s probably)-350z Steering wheel with no controls and airbag

Suspension:-Agility coilovers (once they are made)-New LCAs with balljoints (mine are shot)*-ES bushings*-Heavy Custom chasis bracing (cause I have every suspension mod available including SFCs)*(I have materials for it)-Raxles

Braking:-13" two piece carbon ceramic rotors (stoptech)-4 piston wilwood calipers*-Hawk HP+ pads all around*-New Brembo rotors rear with custom paint*

Now the good stuff....Engine:Bottom half:VQ30 block*VQ35 crankVH45 rodsVH45 pistons or Custom CP pistons**VH45 piston rings*VQ35 oil pump*Crank deburred and rebalanced for the new rods/pistonsVQ30 OEM gaskets*ARP rod bolts

Top halfVQ30 heads*Ported and ruffed for the intake with matching LIMPorted and polished for exhaust350z J1 spec cams or nismo knockoff camsVQ35HR valve springs double shimmed*VQ35 valves (heads will be fitted by 1mm oversizing work)HR Head bolts*Ported 3.5 pathfinder IM*VH45 Throttle body*Custom 90mm intake/Maf setup*Custom 3" exhaust from y-pipe joint back w/ electronic exhaust cutoutE-manage Ultimate

That's about it, I believe

*denotes I already have the part/materials or its on order

**Well I have been looking into the VH45 pistons and some of the veterans say they fit but they are only 10.5:1 compression but I would like to have 11.5:1 or 12:1 compression, but I haven't been able to find a definite answer.

I will take more then plenty of pictures through out the process. I hope to make this car an ultimate driving machine and very well rounded in handling and performance. I plan to just take a weekend and tear the car down to just a frame basically and weld in alot of my bracing and roll cage and fit the interior pieces back into the car. Most of the dash will be tore apart as I will be doing all the wiring for numerous things such as little addon LEDs here and there. After this project is complete the car will be complete except for a few small things like a full repaint (same color) and some other things like rims and track tires (on the soon to be painted black zigens).

Now onto to some questions I know I will get. The first and foremost WHY? well this is a very very unique project and is going to require alot of money which my current job I have pays very well, even though I am flat broke the day after I get paid all the time Again as to why is because it is IMO the only way for the Maxima engines to ever see more then 300whp, yes that is my goal and I believe strongly that it is possible for two reasons. First, because of my custom intake setup and some of the other parts I have choosen to help push me over my goal. Second, because this is a stroker engine and the idea of a stroker is a balanced engine that is well rounded symetrically when considering the stroke vs bore ratio.

I accept any all criticism, including the you should just do a vq35 swap and I'll be honest about why I am not doing it. I just don't like the VQ35 or the VQ37, they are not as strong of an engine as the VH45 or the VQ30. I know I am using parts out the VQ35 alot but the reason being is that these are the stronger parts IMO.

So anyone have any comments or suggestions.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

AWESOME. I'm very much looking forward to following your build!

allensteiner
Car: 1995 Nissan Maxima GLE, 2005 Pontiac Bonneville SE

that sounds like an awesome project. pics will be included of course? btw you can raise the compression by having the heads shaved/machined.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Why do you believe the VQ35/37 is not as strong as the VQ30?

DaveVQ

audtatious wrote:Why do you believe the VQ35/37 is not as strong as the VQ30?
Its nothing against you guys, but I grew up with the 300zs and I just have the etched in my mind. the 3.5s burning oil also. And not many people here about it, but the 3.5s aren't as reliable as the old 3.0s, its really all matter of opinion I guess.

I also think the 3.0 engines still have great possibilities that have not been discovered

on a side note I want a vanity plate that says WTF VQ33

Presscott707
Car: 1999 Maxima 5spd

that sounds great man. i cant wait to see pics. and dyno sheets, and also slips at the track. i have heard of a 3.3 befor but i have never heard anyone do it befor. so more power to you bro:bigthumb

maxhopper
Car: 02 Maxima SE 6spd

Sounds like an ambitious project. I look forward to following your progress.

NutriaforBreakfast
Car: Nissan Maxima 1995 VQDE engine

Any drilling on the block to increase oil or water flow?

AcMav
Car: 99' Infiniti I30t

Is this going to be a daily driver? or a track car?

Are you removing the rear seats to reduce weight? If so are you going to weld solid the rear doors and strip the rear window mechanics and epoxy the window in place?

I Hope you're upgrading the fuel system as well (Bigger Injectors, Bigger Fuel Pump, Larger Gauge Fuel Lines). I know Kzoosho had to replace the stock fuel pump when he turboed his, I'm not sure how many Gph the stock pump can put out.

I'd just like to say I've also always heard good things about the Emanage Ultimate. Are you going to be doing the tuning or sending it off to an Import shop to tune?

Last but not least, What octane are you planning on hitting 300 hp with, 93 Octane Pump fuel? or 110 Octane race fuel? (Its fun to have two settings on your ECU tuned for both, something you should considering doing while tuning)

Goodluck Bro, I've always wanted to build my I30 but being a student I just cant finance it, and like you, I like doing things right the first time
Modified by AcMav at 9:18 PM 7/21/2008

DaveVQ

NutriaforBreakfast wrote:Any drilling on the block to increase oil or water flow?

No need to drill, I am upgrading the oil pump to a stock VQ35 which is more then enough to push the oil. No need to go HR oil pump which is really over kill. As for engine cooling I am upgrading the radiator to an OEM replica but offers more flow and better cooling. Its a koyo radiator.

everything else is adaquet enough.

DaveVQ

AcMav wrote:Is this going to be a daily driver? or a track car?

Are you removing the rear seats to reduce weight? If so are you going to weld solid the rear doors and strip the rear window mechanics and epoxy the window in place?

I Hope you're upgrading the fuel system as well (Bigger Injectors, Bigger Fuel Pump, Larger Gauge Fuel Lines). I know Kzoosho had to replace the stock fuel pump when he turboed his, I'm not sure how many Gph the stock pump can put out.

I'd just like to say I've also always heard good things about the Emanage Ultimate. Are you going to be doing the tuning or sending it off to an Import shop to tune?

Last but not least, What octane are you planning on hitting 300 hp with, 93 Octane Pump fuel? or 110 Octane race fuel? (Its fun to have two settings on your ECU tuned for both, something you should considering doing while tuning)

Goodluck Bro, I've always wanted to build my I30 but being a student I just cant finance it, and like you, I like doing things right the first time
This car will remain a daily driver for now.....maybe someday down the road a full heavy weight reduction will be in order if I find a nice daily driver (Mercedes C43 is on my mind alot these days), but when the time comes, the only things left inside the car will be 2 seats, steering wheel, shifter, gauge cluster, and other essentials and the four side windows would be replaced with a light weight plexi and AC condensor gone (but thats not happening for a while.

As for the fuel system there is no need to upgrade the fuel injectors, I forget A33 injector size (300-310cc I can't remember I think its less). but the fuel rails are good for 500+hp, injectors are good for 325-350hp, and I may mess with the FPR but thats about it. Everything else can handle the extra push. I do plan to continue using 93, hopefully I don't ping with the high compression, if I do then I should be able retard the timing a degree or two with the EU, if that doesn't work I'm SOL.

As a final note, this engine is very much up in the air, I want to really push for it but it is not cheap (not complaining it will be worth it if it works), but there is no who has gotten it to work, but in theory on PAPER it will work.....I'll say it again IN THEORY ON PAPER THIS SHOULD WORK. but if not, then I will pull the engine, drop the bottom have and throw the 3.0 internals back in and run a thicker gasket to drop compression and dropped compression means you know what...

johnnyd6404
Car: 2004 G35 Coupe 6MT 2k2 Maxima SE(sold) 2005 Altima 2.5S

Sounds intense looks like you've done your research, great enthuisam wish you luck

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”