Vibration/shaking on highway

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
MadMoTuck
Car: 2006 Nissan Murano

I have a 2006 Murano SL with about 10,000 miles. I have only had it about 9 months and just love it. The problem has only happened about 4 times. I have had it in the dealership and they've just told me "they can't duplicate the problem" (which I believe since its only happened 4 x) and that the different road and driving conditions caused it (which I DON'T believe).

I'll be driving down the freeway going 65-70 and all of a sudden the steering wheel will start to slightly vibrate. Not enough to jump out at you, but enough to notice and make your hands start to tingle. Then I feel a slight shaking in the seat and I can feel it on the center console. As I slow down, it gets much WORSE. The car actually starts shaking and the vibration is TERRIBLE, right before you stop, it feels like you're going over a cattle guard. Then I turn the vehicle off, wait a couple minutes, turn it on and its gone. It then drives like nothing had ever happened. I know this can't be good for it.

Has this happened to anyone else, or does anyone know what is causing it? Many thanks!!

Rosies_Mom
Car: PT Cruiser DreamCruiser #3674

I had the same problem with an older (92 vehicle). It turned out to be an idler arm. I am not sure if the new vehicles even have them. Take your car to a tire place and have them do a front end alignment on it. AND while they are at it have them check out the idler arms.

IMHO

vpotnis
Car: Nissan Murano 2003

It seems your wheel might be out of balance. I would rebalance the wheels, check if you have unsual wear on your tires, you might want to do front wheel alignment.

[email protected]
Car: 2005 Nissan Murano

Happened to me once. I had the emergency brake on. Duh.

blazer75

I have the same issue with my 2006 Altima. Intermittent shaking on the highway which starts out feeling like an unbalanced tire/wheel which then leads to violent shaking. I slow down to a stop when occuring and start out again and it's gone. I have replaced all tires, replaced rotors and pads (thinking maybe warped rotor), inspected all front end components and still it occurs. It occurs at highway speeds only and seems more likely to occur the hotter it is outside or the more weight I have in the car. It has progressively become worse in that it occurs more frequently now and shakes to the point in which you feel as if the car is going to come apart, but still cannot be duplicated at will. MadMoTuck have you ever uncovered the cause of your vibration?

MadMoTuck

I had my Murano in a couple times and was told they "can't duplicate" the problem. They checked the brakes/rotors, wheel alignment, tires, shocks and balanced the tires.

Finally they discovered the brake sensor was bad. Apparently it was trying to use the ABS while I was driving and that was causing the vibration/shaking.

They replaced it and I haven't had a problem with it since and that's been over a year ago. Hope this information helps!

blazer75

Thanks for the info MadMoTuck. I am reluctantly bringing it to the dealer today. I am waiting to here that they cannot duplicate or there may be an issue with the 4 new tires or rotors and/or pads I had installed to correct the issue, but I guess I should have a more positive outlook.

MadMoTuck

Make sure and ask them to check the brake sensors. I don't know if your Altima has ABS or not, but they can still check the regular brake sensors. You're the only other Nissan owner I've talked to that had the same symptoms and the problem sounds identical to mine. Let me know the results and good luck!

madmiker13

I've had this problem with my 09 Murano LE on a few occasions. It was due to winter weather conditions. Snow, slush and ice were accumulating in the rims and throwing the wheels out of balance. Once I cleaned out my rims, the car drove fine.

om_sai_ram

Hello MadMoTuck,Recently I encountered similar vibrating/shaking/jerking issue while accerelating my Murano with my friends sitting besides me. Like everyones nightmare, it is not able to duplicate infront of the mechanic. Your answer on the brake sensor provide some clues here. I have look up the Brake control service manual, there are so many sensors there. Wonder if you can specifically provide which sensor your mechanic have replaced. Really appreciate.

MadMoTuck

Hello om_sai_ram ~

I am downsizing and no longer have the Murano. I checked for my old records, but unfortunately they were left in the manual for the new owner when I traded it in.

I called the local dealership and talked with my original service advisor where I've had all the work done on it and they were no help (no surprise, there). They had all the records for everything I had done to it and even the times I took it in and they couldn't duplicate the problem, but not this one.

If I remember correctly, it was the ABS brake sensor. I'm pretty sure it was one of the sensors in the front. I don't know if this helps or not, but the VIN number on the vehicle was JN8AZ08T96W423050. I don't know if there is anywhere you can look up the VIN number and see all the work that was done to that vehicle or not.

Good luck!

om_sai_ram

Hello MadMoTuck,I really appreciate ALL your effort to "look" for an answer to my questions even though you do not own the Murano anymore. I think I could have the same problem as yours previously because when I stepped on the accelerator and ramping up to 80-90 km/khr, the "jerking/vibrating" is very similar to an ABS brake in action where the vehicle "vibrate" a few times continuosly BUT I did not step on any brake at all. Anyway, you have provided some clue where I can further discussed with my mechanics during the next service.

Thanks again

freedomm60
Car: 95 240sx rb25det

I had a similar problem on my 240sx and it ended up being a bad wheel bearing.The vibration was more pronounced when I would turn the steering wheel to change lanes on the highway.

shagggy1333
Car: 2006 murano

i have an 06 murano and had it in the dealer many, many times for vibrations in town and on the highway. i also took it to discount. the dealer finally came to the conclusion it was the rear differential. after i made a fuss with the dealer they said the nissan rep authorized the warranty replacement. i don't have the vibrations any more but i am worried about cvt issues. on a seperate issue, i have always had vibrations when i brake. the brakes have been replaced many times and i am beginning to loose faith in the dealer.

Desert Rat
Car: 2014 370Z M6 Base Coupe
2017 Frontier 4.0
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Quad Cab 4x4
1977 F150 4x4 Shorty BUILT
2008 Boulevard C90T
Previous owner of a bunch of Nissans

Rosies_Mom wrote:I had the same problem with an older (92 vehicle). It turned out to be an idler arm. I am not sure if the new vehicles even have them. Take your car to a tire place and have them do a front end alignment on it. AND while they are at it have them check out the idler arms.

IMHO
The Murano has rack and pinion steering, thus, no idler arm.

om_sai_ram

The "jerking/vibration" that I encountered somehow was totally gone after I replaced with a new sets of sparkplug.

mikey1951
Car: 2008 EX 35

Vibration started at 60mph x 1 week and now occurs at 45mph. Car is on stands now and I checked cv joint/axles - ok, grabbed wheels and no play on any wheel,wheel bearings ok.

Front pads are low and will be replaced now.

How do you check wheel sensors?

I'm thinking rotors at the moment.

Any ideas?

Mike

goodness
Car: Nissan Murano 05'

MadMoTuck wrote:I had my Murano in a couple times and was told they "can't duplicate" the problem. They checked the brakes/rotors, wheel alignment, tires, shocks and balanced the tires.

Finally they discovered the brake sensor was bad. Apparently it was trying to use the ABS while I was driving and that was causing the vibration/shaking.

They replaced it and I haven't had a problem with it since and that's been over a year ago. Hope this information helps!
Hi Madmotuck,

Your inormation is very helpful. :dblthumb:

I have a Murano 05' and it is experiencing exactly what you experienced on your murano in 2007.

Before replacement of the Brake sensor that solved the poblem, was there any display (ABS or brake) on the instrument board? cos' mine is not having having any. Also, where was the location of the brake sensor.

Answer to this questions will be very helpful to me. Thanks.

Anyone can also help. Waiting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cryssen
Car: 2006 Murano SL AWD

I just purchased an '06 MO, I have a similar but oddly behaving issue. Whenever I start out, it will always ride extremely rough about 60 MPH. Then after about 5-10 minutes the ride completely smooths out. No issues for the rest of the trip.

akropaul
Car: 2007 murano

I just started getting the same problem,accelerating to 100KM/hr I get
a vibration that shakes the MO,not real bad but I notice it.After 10 mins it stops
and smooth again.I noticed too that my left rear brake was smoking hot when I stopped.I am thinking its a seized caliper or warped rotor.
Any thoughts

akropaul
Car: 2007 murano

was a seized caliper all better now

wlrogalski
Car: '06 Murano

So, I think i have the same issue...I have an 06...already had a new CVT put in...don't think that is my issue. But started randomly and getting worse....car starts to shake...not a wheel shake like out of balance, but feels like an engine shake. Tach is fine, power seems fine...if I stop at a light...start again, smooth...for a bit, then shake returns...sometime pretty bad...

If a caliper, how did you fix and how did you know which one?

Return to “Murano Forum”