Vibration after Balancing

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
MartinJansen
Car: 2015 Nissan Pathfiner Platinum
2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2006 Infiniti G35x

Hello again ... Posted this in a different section but didn't get any replies so hoping somebody in the general forum may have some ideas...

Have a 2006 G35x w/102K miles. Recently I'd been feeling a steering wheel vibration and a "rumble" feeling from the seat, both at highway speeds Figured it was a balancing issue so when I went into my shop for new front brakes (rear brakes only 15K miles) I also had them balance all 4 tires. They also refurbished a worn front-right axle boot (just the the boot not the whole drive axle).

However the vibration and rumble feeling persist at 65-70 mph. I went back for a re-balancing and they said it was all in check, but the problem is still there. This is a trusted local professional shop which has done great work for me years so I believe them when they say the "tires" are "balanced" properly.

Before I go back, I am wondering what other factors may be causing these issues? And if refurbishing of the axle-boot could have anything to do with it); for instance: Could a bad boot or improperly repaired boot be causing the vibration and rumble feeling despite 4 properly balanced tires?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

ezb57e

I would have rotated them front to back to see if that changed anything.
I'm assuming they took a look at the wheel bearing.
Had the axle boot been open for a long time?
Grease goes out, dirt and water go in.
Your axle may be the problem.
You can buy a new Chinese one so cheap these days its rarely worth fixing them anymore.
Just a thought.

MartinJansen
2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2006 Infiniti G35x

The boot has been worn for a while... Took my car to the dealership for the state inspection and they identified the issue - They wanted $1,100 + tax for a new drive axle kit. Criminals. So I waited about two months before I needed to get some other work done... My local shop actually couldn't find the part anywhere but from Infinity (which they were quoted $700+ for the part) so they suggested refurbishing just the boot... Cost $275 total...

I didn't ask specifically about the wheel bearing, but I would trust they did as well. Although I will inquire. Also, good idea about rotating to see if that helps... thanks.

RealMenDIY
Car: 2011 G25X

Bad wheel bearing - vibration unlikely, noise likely
Bad axle/CV joint
Bad tire - flat spotting, worn

I have also had mud or snow packed into the wheel cause vibration.

I am guessing that the same shop that did the balance would have found a flat spotted tire so you can likely rule that out. Sounds like you already know what your problem is given you had a bad axle boot at one time. As ezb57e noted a worn boot lets dirt and water in which will cause the CV joint to fail. Unfortunately I am new to these cars so I don't have any good suggestions for replacement parts.

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

MartinJansen wrote:The boot has been worn for a while... Took my car to the dealership for the state inspection and they identified the issue - They wanted $1,100 + tax for a new drive axle kit. Criminals. So I waited about two months before I needed to get some other work done... My local shop actually couldn't find the part anywhere but from Infinity (which they were quoted $700+ for the part) so they suggested refurbishing just the boot... Cost $275 total...

I didn't ask specifically about the wheel bearing, but I would trust they did as well. Although I will inquire. Also, good idea about rotating to see if that helps... thanks.
Trust a local shop?
I don't!
Factory training is very expensive as are obtaining the proper tools and equipment.
MartinJansen wrote:The boot has been worn for a while... Took my car to the dealership for the state inspection and they identified the issue - They wanted $1,100 + tax for a new drive axle kit. .
The dealer indentified the problem for you
MartinJansen wrote: Criminals.
I don't think so.

Who does work for free?

$700 for the parts, a few hours of labor can easily reach $1100 plus tax. My dealer labor rate is $130/hr

Perhaps you should trade it in your almost 9 year old vehicle for a Honda Civic?
Much cheaper to repair.

When my previous 06 G35 6 speed manual needed a few thousand dollars worth of work I traded it it for my present 2012 G37S. I'm very happy that I did.
It came with all new parts and a warranty

Telcoman

Starter
Car: 13 G37X sedan
11 G37S sedan

telcoman wrote:
I don't think so.

Who does work for free?

$700 for the parts, a few hours of labor can easily reach $1100 plus tax. My dealer labor rate is $130/hr.

Telcoman
$130 an hour is criminal when you consider that the tech, assuming that he has all his certs, is being paid maybe $30 per hour. Add 30% to that for his benefits. There is obviously something in there for the building, maintenance, insurance, utilities, other salaries, etc. like perhaps another 30 bucks and all of the rest is dealership profit. So the dealership is making about a 40% profit on every labor hour. The shop also charges at the book rate for labor for each task and any tech worth anything can do the job in half to three quarters of the book time - you don't get a credit for the shorter time. Wouldn't you love to own a business where you make 40%? And that doesn't even count the markup on parts.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Do you have aftermarket wheels? If they are not hub centric you will get vibrations as well.

MartinJansen
2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2006 Infiniti G35x

Hey Telcoman. Thank you for adding nothing to the conversation. Also, I am sorry I offended you by purporting the seemingly novel concept that dealerships are the most expensive places to get things done. I admit, perhaps, the use of the term "criminal" may be a bit of an exaggeration. As such, I apologize to your for that blasphemous misstep. Lastly, as you are obviously a skilled negotiator - having gotten "new parts" and a "warranty" on your new car - perhaps you would be willing to share some of your techniques with the forum for the greater good.

Audtatious - No man, OEM wheels... From the the input here, and subsequent research I'm thinking my CV joint may be warped since the boot was torn for a while before it was refurbished...

Tnx man

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”