VG30DETT into 1989 240SX

V8 240sx? Sure! If either the chassis OR the engine is non-Nissan (i.e. SR20 in an RX-7 or LS1 in a 240sx), we've done it.
D2180SX
Car: 180SX and 200SX

Hi! I just wanted to show you that the VG30DETT can be put into the S13 chassis without sacrificing or canceling factory essentials or options. This is one of my cars. Yes, it runs, and it's a torque machine. We kept everything down to the a/c (haven't hooked it up yet nor did we hook up the heater hoses; using blockers for now) and the twin turbo factory configuration. Yes, it needs a bath, but dust is one thing we deal with here in the Kingdom of Bahrain. I don't know of anybody else who has been able to do this swap without cancelling or relocating things. Of course, we had to make new mounts, customized the subframe and swapped over to a J30 oil pan. The tranny was not jury rigged either. We made a custom bracket to allow full use with no cutting into the car's sheet metal. We did not use a front mount. Instead, we retained the twin SMICs. Enjoy!

dickie
Car: Killer Turtle

cool! care to document the (lengthy) process for a possible writeup?

TheOne
Car: 93 240sx FB

why does.......for some reason the 240sx engine bay looks easier to work in a vg30 than workin a vg30 in a 300zx?(for those who have seen the 300zx engine bay....and worked on them, i've seen'em, also worked a couple of things and damn is it cramped)

j-z
Car: 95 240sx

awesome! fits like it was meant to be there. very nice job, but what did you do for an exhaust? i also like how you stuck with the dual smic. what did you do for the driveshaft? how does it handle now? good job

vutony

nice.......i like the toyota oil filter best

nvrplzd240
Car: 04 G35, 02 CBR600 f4i, 90 Sentra

sweet

pancho y onions
Car: 1992 240sx se

Thts pretty cool. It still looks cramped to work in though. Reall cool swap no doubt. Post a video of it running;)

Felipe
Car: abcdefghijklm nopqrstuvwxyz `1234567890-= ~!@#$%^&*()_+

two is better then 1 and that 1 sweet ride... i can feel the power from over here

D2180SX

I used the Y and we fabricated some piping to flow into one. I use a catback meant for SR. I'll be doing an article about it on my business site, as well as for one of the automotive publications here in the Middle East. This swap was done to show that it could be done, as well as for an R&D platform. We do have an electrical gremlin that we are sorting out right now. The driveshaft was made locally, but I'm going to have one of the reputable shaft makers in the USA to do one based on my design. Perhaps we can see this swap done as a complete kit for those who would want to go with a V6 from Nissan. This car is a torque machine! From dead stop, it will get sideways with just a drop of the clutch! Once we have all the bugs worked out and some other things done, I'll get some video of it going through the paces. Just think, you'll have more power and torque in the stock form than doing an SR swap, and I would think that VG30DETT complete swap is plentiful in the USA and Canada. Just something to think of to give more hybrid options other than RB. A VQ swap shouldn't be that difficult, as well. I can make the kit for a VQ configuration, and I know Maximas are a dime a dozen

You like the Toyota oil filter? Hahaha! We love Toyota/Lexus, too! Well, at least my partner does. I switched to Nissan a long time ago after the AE86 got whored out thanks to Initial Dud and the prices for AE86 were surpassing RPS13 in Japan.

Florida240sx
Car: 93 Hatch 5spd
2012 altima coupe 2.5s

Nice swap. I plan to do this in the fall. Why did you need to swap to the j30 oil pan? What's the difference in the stock and j30?

D2180SX

We swapped over to the J30 oil pan due to some clearance issues. We notched and reinforced the subframe to a very extreme degree. To try to utilize the VG30DETT oil pan, we had issues of the stabilizer bar to contend with in the front of the oil pan, and you don't want to notch the subframe too far or you will destroy the integrity of the subframe. Take the stock VG30DETT oil pan and set it next to a stock J30 model. There is a definite difference.

Also, the turbo outlet pipe on the drivers side will impact the steering column. To get around that, we designed a flange to "wrap" further towards the inside of the column. Because of the custom flange, we had to ensure the right side flange was equal in volume and flow. Uneven back pressure is no fun. I mentioned on my site that we will release a kit for this swap this fall to include all the necessary pieces to do the job correctly Custom subframe, oil pan, turbo exhaust flanges (outlets), engine mounts, exhaust piece, oil filter relocator and SMICs. The only thing I can't do is supply an engine and tranny. That would make it too expensive for our community, I think. But, as they all say, if someone wants it bad enough, it can be done.

One_Love
Car: 1995 nissan 240sx

thats all

9240sx
Car: What i believe to be the cleanest s13 in the world.

SR20DET + RS*R-Apexi-Nismo-Trust-HKS= 100% pure love

You the man!!!

And is it just me or is there alot more space up front over the z32??Looks like it to me..Looks like you could run the stock s13 fan shroud..

Again

Any 1/4mile times??..Kills...Hows it feel...Stuff like that..more info!

Florida240sx
Car: 93 Hatch 5spd
2012 altima coupe 2.5s

When can you make the mount kits? No need for smic piping. And would probably do cusotme exhaust piping. Just need the subframe, motor mounts and tranny mount...Plan to get my engine in october where it will be sent to the machine shop to be built. If you need someone in the states to show off your kit I can do that for you....

PantherRacer
Car: 1992 Nissan Skyline R32 RB20DET Sedan

looks like a 300zx went on a diet and freed up some muscle.bet it performs like it had a can of red ballz. IT'S COCAINE IN A CAN BABY!

tjmhillz
Car: 2001 Turbo Lexus IS300

that is sick..... man i cant wait to see vids of this monsters. wat kinda numbers r u looking to put down. dats one clean swap. it looks like it came wit the car lol....

pallnet

Does the VG30E and VG30ET oilpans fit on the VG30DE and VG30DETT?

If so then there are other oilpan options out there if you're willing to comb the yards. One might possibly result in not having to section the X-member.This could bring the costs of your kits down.

This is an idea. Anyways I like the way it sits in there.

QuickerThanU
Car: 98,95,94,89 Nissan 240sx

Make a vid of the 240 racing that sexy beast in the back on the first picture . Do u have an approximate price range for this kit?

lord_hypnos

D2180SX wrote:I mentioned on my site that we will release a kit for this swap this fall to include all the necessary pieces to do the job correctly.
Where do I sign up?

Reno
Car: 89 S13, boosted.. RAWR..

i second that XD

D2180SX

Yes, the stock fan shroud will fit, if you wanted to go that direction. I made sure that the engine sat as close to the center as possible, and one rule we stuck with was to not exceed the length of the KA or SR or CA that would normally sit in this chassis. We kept the stock fan shroud in mind in the event that we would have to resort to that. But, the twin electrics work just fine.

D2180SX

Yes, the S13 chassis was easier to work the VG30DETT than the Z32 chassis was. I was told that the Z32 was built around the VG30DETT. Personally, I hated the 300ZX due to the cramped working area. I found it easier to drop the engine out of the bottom of the Z32 to do any sort of maintenance. I guess the only person that would not have any problem working the VG in the 300ZX is ET. His fingers alone could probably access the plugs.

continental_drift
Car: 1991 240sx coupe - in progress - zeal function V6, ssr formula reverse, trust SP. more to come.

now that's a manly swap. where as, on the other hand, you put an sr or a KAin a z32 and all you'll feel is suck.

lord_hypnos

D2180SX wrote:Yes, the stock fan shroud will fit, if you wanted to go that direction. I made sure that the engine sat as close to the center as possible, and one rule we stuck with was to not exceed the length of the KA or SR or CA that would normally sit in this chassis. We kept the stock fan shroud in mind in the event that we would have to resort to that. But, the twin electrics work just fine.
I am so jealous. Props to you for doing it. Even more if you make a kit for the swap. I know I've been looking at eventually doing something like this. You make it look so clean and so easy. How long did it take you to do it anyway?

D2180SX

Right now, we're just looking to extract the stock VG30DETT performance aspects in the S13 chassis. I do know that it has more balls than a stock SR, and it definitely handles way better than with an RB stuffed in it. I firmly believe it is because of the center of gravity. The car seems more in control. We do need to put the car on the scales and measure the front and rear weights. The rear end was not tampered with from what it was before. Before we had a stock SR (before that KA24E), and we retained the CUSCO 2-way. The rear subframe was rebushed and strengthened in some areas. The half axles are stock OEM and the stock camber was retained. Of course, I love tuning suspension, so before we get too far ahead, we'll be upgrading the arms and some other stuff. Numbers and what we hope to pull down, your guess is as good as mine, but we do want to put this car through the paces and see what breaks and what needs built up before we go advertising what it can truly do. I'm just happy to be the the first, from what I know, that has been able to do this without resorting to extreme fabrication and cancelling of accessories and adapting other things to make it work (dollar cost).

In summary, this car is gonna get worked and I will keep our community updated via the forum and on the business site on what is happening to give our community more viable, safe, non-jury-rigged hybrid swap options without busting big bank to do it.

D2180SX

pallnet wrote:Does the VG30E and VG30ET oilpans fit on the VG30DE and VG30DETT?

If so then there are other oilpan options out there if you're willing to comb the yards. One might possibly result in not having to section the X-member.This could bring the costs of your kits down.

This is an idea. Anyways I like the way it sits in there.
We looked at all possible options. We have working examples of VG30ET, VG20ET, VG30E, VG33E oil pans and subframes. With the subframe, there was no getting around it. We could have designed a completely one-off subframe, but the cost to the end-user would put the concept out of the reach of most. I didn't want to do that. I'm blue-collar and I want to always keep the average guy and girl in mind when I do things like this. For me to take an S13 subframe, notch it correctly and beef it up with fabricated engine mount hard point locations is easier and a cheaper proposition AND we were able to keep the stock steering rack location intact.

D2180SX

Approximate price range- my target is to keep it reasonable. My overhead costs are way cheaper here in the Middle East, and I can do everything in house. The drive shaft would probably be the most expensive part of the kit, but I know that there are many machine shops in North America that can make one and balance it correctly. I have all of my drive shafts made by The Drive Shaft Shop in North Carolina.

The core of the kit would consist of the subframe, oil pan, oil filter relocator kit, engine mounts and transmission mount. I know some people would just rather have the subframe and mounts. I can make things in packages depending on what the customer wants. As we get close to the end, I will advertise the price on the site. I will say that the kit will be within the price range of 75% of the people here and that you won't have to go out and take a loan to get the kit. I want everybody to be able to do this swap, if they wish to.
QuickerThanU wrote: Make a vid of the 240 racing that sexy beast in the back on the first picture . Do u have an approximate price range for this kit?

D2180SX

Just stay plugged in, bookmark the business site, and write to me at [email protected]. I really wanna see S13s running around with the VG30DETT. It's just a mean sounding machine and intimidating in the right hands.
lord_hypnos wrote:
Where do I sign up?

D2180SX

It took about a month to do the designs, a week to do the test fit and fabrication in house. We did not work everyday on this car to get it to this stage. I've got other projects going concurrently with the UK version 200SX shop car and other customer work.

Believe it, this kit will be made available.
lord_hypnos wrote:
I am so jealous. Props to you for doing it. Even more if you make a kit for the swap. I know I've been looking at eventually doing something like this. You make it look so clean and so easy. How long did it take you to do it anyway?

lord_hypnos

D2180SX wrote:It took about a month to do the designs, a week to do the test fit and fabrication in house. We did not work everyday on this car to get it to this stage. I've got other projects going concurrently with the UK version 200SX shop car and other customer work.

Believe it, this kit will be made available.
I'll start savin now.

Return to “Hybrids”