Very Important Nissan Update Re: Replacing Bose Stereo Systems

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
MrMax03
Car: 2003 Gle Maxima

My 6 Cd changer went out on my 2003 GLE Maxima the stereo itself still worked but I knew that it needed to be replaced, ( tried the FM I pod) so I called the dealer just out of curiosity to find out how many of thousands of dollars it would cost to replace it. This Is what I found out and I am still in shock:

They have changed their policy regarding the pricing to replace the unit with a re manufactured one rebuilt to specifications . My Quote without labor for is $365.70, that does not include labor which is only $90 per hour for a 2 hr job. This is Pohanka Nissan Salisbury MD

I just got back from the dealer and it will be installed in a couple days once it arrives. Now regarding playing burnt CDS, I was told that has no factor on the Bose system because everyone is burning CDS, My player just died. It happens.

I just wanted to spread the word that you should call your local Nissan dealer and find out what they will charge instead of having it replaced with something that would not look right.

Modified by MrMax03 at 7:51 AM 1/18/2010

MrMax03

Side Note: Warranty is 12 Months or 12,000 miles

tigersharkdude
Car: 1999 Nissan Maxima

thats good and all, but still to high for me. Why would you pay $180 to change the radio on a 2003 maxima. There is no way that is a 2 hour job, MAYBE an hour and to a tech that knows what hes doing shorter than that. Its not like they are going to be splicing wires, its all P&P

MrMax03

It was only an estimate, probably will be much shorter, there are more than wires involved, the whole thing will be taken out by the dealer and the other one put in , I rather have Nissan do it anyway. You're dealing with the dealership so you have to expect to pay more, bottom line, I won't have a 6CD changer that doesn't match the interior of the car, it won't cost, the price I thought it would. I'm happy, that's what matters

Markc
Car: 2008 m35x
2005 infiniti G35

This price is for a complete unit? If so, it's a lot more reasonable than the astonomical price for a new Bose, (piece of $hit in my opinion), head unit.

MrMax03

Yes, a complete 6 cd bose syestem! I was going to go to just an ordinary place like Best Buy and get a new System, but I decided, what the heck, call Nissan and find out what they want. I heard that it could be around 2K, I just wanted to hear it for myself, but when they told me $365.00, I said you don't understand , my stereo works, but the 6CD changer gives an error code and won't play any CDS, they said, they understand and the cost would be $365 plus labor.

I hung up and called twice, just to hear it again. I asked, why aren't they 2K?, the reply was, they have changed due to the low demand of replacing them it is rebuilt to standard specifications and the warranty of 12 months or 12,000 is unbeatable.

MrMax03

I took the car into Nissan because they needed to see the exact Bose system, they again quoted the same price. I said go ahead order it. I have already Pre-paid for the unit because it was not in stock, it should arrive in 2-3 days my service receipt totals $365.70 and I will then pay for the labor when it is installed

I will post again once it is installed

Markc
2005 infiniti G35

So I guess that they have repaired one that has failed and given a one year warranty on it. Not bad I suppose. I'd definitely go that route rather than 2K for a new one or putz about trying to get a Best Buy special to fit in there.

MrMax03

The way the dash board and head unit is in the 03's, it just made since to replace it with the same unit. I looked on Ebay before I called Nissan and the ones on Ebay are one disc players that aren't compatible with the steering wheel controls. I asked Nissan about just having a 1 disc instead of 6, but they claim I have to have what's in there now due to the speakers and wiring.

I hope they get this in soon, this FM I Pod thing is just not my bag.

MrMax03

All Done, looks brand new , labor was $78. took less than an hour

Markc
2005 infiniti G35

That's a very fair price for labour imo. So, they didn't even charge you the full hour?

MrMax03

Nope! Appointment was 10:30, completion was about 11:15, everything is back to normal until the next problem

Markc
2005 infiniti G35

Thanks for the info. I'll keep that tucked away in the old grey matter in case I ever run into the problem.

MrMax03

Glad I was able to help you in the future should you have that problem. I hope you don't . You don't appreciate having something till it's gone

infinitidude123
Car: 2003 Infiniti I35

If the bose units are the same as used in infiniti, then the head unit is matched to the speakers, and is made by clarion. There is a company in Longwood florida that repairs and refurbishes bose stereos. This is all that they do, nothing else. their number is 1-800-428-1909, or email at [email protected]. I sent my wife's bose unit in and they will totally refurbish it for $200. these units are made by clarion and are high end units. I was told that if I used an afrermarket radio, it would not work correctly because the amplifiers are matched to the speakers and we would lose control over the volume, etc. Call them and ask.

The Siath
Car: 99 Nissan Maxima, Arctic Pearl White, VQ30de, 5MT.

MrMax03 wrote:It was only an estimate, probably will be much shorter, there are more than wires involved, the whole thing will be taken out by the dealer and the other one put in , I rather have Nissan do it anyway. You're dealing with the dealership so you have to expect to pay more, bottom line, I won't have a 6CD changer that doesn't match the interior of the car, it won't cost, the price I thought it would. I'm happy, that's what matters
Seriously it's a couple of screws, two wire harness plugs, and an antenna plug out, and reverse to install - 20 minutes if they take a coffee break while doing it.

(probably take longer to un-package the rebuilt unit than to install it)

Markc
2005 infiniti G35

Still, you've got to admit that $78 from a dealer is pretty resonable. Plus you don't run the risk of damaging the trim surround. If they damage it, they're on the hook to fix it.

bighamp
Car: 2003 Maxima SE Titanium Pkg.

I used FCSR to repair the Bose in my '96 when the cd player died. Very good people to work with. The price was a hundred something dollars back around 2002 when I had it done. Got it back in like a week. Worked flawlessly till I sold it in 2007. I also added the USA Spec 6-CD changer while I had it out.

supersoaker20
Car: 03 maxima 6speed

I replaced my stero with a flip up dvd system in about 1 hr. of course i had to splice some wires, and get an antenna adapter. i spent all of $295 and have a beautiful system that sounds great! the install kit that made it look factory was only 15 bucks.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”