VE, VG. whats the difference?

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
AAPman23
Car: 1992 Maxima SE VE30DE

Hey everyone,What's the difference between a VG30DE and a VE30DE? I'm just wondering if the inner workings are the same. Like the pistons, rods, cams, valves, things like that. What makes the two different?

nj1sh
Car: maxima 96

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_VE_engine

The VE engine is a 3.0 L V6 piston engine from Nissan. It is based on the Nissan VG engine and was only used for the '92, '93, and '94 model years. This engine has an iron block, aluminum cylinder heads with 4 valves per cylinder and dual overhead camshafts, variable valve timing on the intake camshafts, coil on plug ignition, and an available variable intake manifold. (5spd only)

A major difference between the VE30DE and the VG30DE engine are the heads. The low underhood clearance on the 1992–1994 Maxima demanded a special head to be developed with 30°, rather than 46°, between the valves. Lack of space also demanded a redesigned camshaft drive system, so a special chain drive was developed. The engine is otherwise similar to the VG30DE.

sweet3rdgen
Car: 1990 maxima se

On the 3rd gen Maxima there were two engines the VG30E and the VE30DE.The VG is a single overhead cam (sohc) engine, 2 valves per cylinder. The VE is double overhead cam (dohc and hence the "D" in the designation), 4 valves per cylender. The VG was rated at 160 bhp from the factory and the VE was rated at 190bhp. Both have about the same torque numbers. The VG is considered a slightly stronger engine, while the VE is a higher revving engine. There are fans of each. The VG was in all Maxima's (SE and GXE) in 89-91, and GXE Maxima's until 94. The VE was only available in the SE form 92-94. The VG was also used in many truck applications into the late 90's and grew to a 3.3 liter. Neither really compare to the VQ, which is in the 4th gen and later Maxima's

mtcookson
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX
1992 Iinfiniti Q45
and much much more

Like previously mentioned, the VE30DE is basically a narrow version of the VG30DE. The VE30DE has a forged crank like the VG and uses the same rods. The pistons are slightly different giving it a 10:1 compression ratio so you can actually use the VG30DE pistons to up the compression a bit to the 10.5:1... or... you could use the VG30DETT pistons for 8.5:1 and boost it.

If maintained they should last quite a while as they're basically a VG. The main problem with them is the VTC's, they have a habit of going out which seems to be due to poor oil changing habits and/or oil filter choice (filters without the drain back valve can cause issues). If they aren't making any noise just be sure to give it regular oil changes and use quality filters that are known to have the valve.

AAPman23
Car: 1992 Maxima SE VE30DE

THANKS FOR THE INFO!! Yall really answered all my questions.thank you

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”