VDC, Slip and ABS lights?!?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
philipa_240sx

CJD91 wrote:All my lights went on when I was doing donuts in a snow filled parking lot. I think I confused the s*** out of the VDC system.
Yes, this can happen. If it does occur, you must stop, turn off the engine, and restart to reset the system.

See pg 5-29 of your owners manual:
When driving on unstable surfaces such as a turntable, ferry, elevatoror ramp, the “VDC OFF” indicator or “SLIP” indicator or both indicatorlights may illuminate. This is not a malfunction. Restart the engineafter driving onto a stable surface.
The problems mentioned above seem to indicate an issue with the ABS system. It could be a malfunctioning wheel speed sensor.

CJD91
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue S AWD

i
philipa_240sx wrote:
Yes, this can happen. If it does occur, you must stop, turn off the engine, and restart to reset the system.

See pg 5-29 of your owners manual:

The problems mentioned above seem to indicate an issue with the ABS system. It could be a malfunctioning wheel speed sensor.
Good info, thanks! :

Instinctually, that's exactly what I did.

beloman
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL

Mine was only the VDC and SLIP lights...turned out to be an intermittent BRAKE (Stop) light switch! :cry: Couldn't connect the condition to the switch until another driver pointed out to me my brake lights weren't working ....and yet by the time I got home, they got working again but the VDC/SLIP light signal apparently had been already registered. Shut it down, and they disappear until the next time the brake light intermittency condition reoccurred. :poke: Check out those brake lights when you can.....glad to have those brake lights working and the VDC back in operation.

joebloggs123
Car: 2008 Nissan Rouge

Related issue and statement how it was resolved with my 2008 Nissan Rouge SL.

Experienced Slip and VDC light coming on for an extened period without any evidence of wheel spin followed by lack of power and acceleration during move off and travel. Local Nissan dealer unable to find fault code or replicate problem during 100 miles of driving.
Eventually managed to get the car to the dealer whilst experiencing the problem and they established to following fault code and resolution - below text is taken from the dealers job card

"Found C1116 in ABS. P0703 in trans and error message in ECU. Test brake lamp switch hanging up at times causing the problem. Was very intermitten and would not store code. PF26AA 0.3 replacement brake lamp switch"

They changed out part "25320-AX00C Switch Assy Sto" under warranty in 30 mins and stated that the problem was fixed. Apparantely they would not do anything without finding this code as Nissan would not cover under warranty. Be warned as I understand that this fault could result in the brake lights not working whilst the Slip and VDC light is on.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Thanks a lot everybody for sharing this information. Although it seems that it's a minor part and easy repair, the impact is dramatic when this little part fails.

I don't even have a real big problem with a cheap sensor failing causing the vehicle to become basically inoperable, but I do have a problem with the fact that the computer doesn't store the fault code. It seems if they catch it in the act of failing and pull codes it registers, but if you restart the car and things are running ok, the code is cleared until it happens again next time so it's very difficult for the tech to diagnose.

I don't understand why the fault code gets erased/cleared when the vehicle is restarted (in most cases it seems anyway). If a code is registered it should only be cleared by a service tech.

I'm not looking forward to this thing failing on me one day, whethter it's tomorrow or 8 years from now, but at least I'll have a good idea of the culprit if and when it does happen, thanks to you guys sharing your info..

vabelleintn
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue S FWD
2015 Nissan Rogue SV FWD

This is really important.... I had this same issue and ignored it, thinking that having some lights come on every once in a while was no big deal. This is HUGE deal. The other day, the lights were on, and I put my foot on the gas pedal to turn left at a light and NOTHING happened. The car did not move, the engine did not rev, NOTHING. I had to turn off my car in traffic to reset the computer to get it to move. Turns out this same sensor/switch can also cause your gas pedal to fail. I took it to the dealer they ran the code (the lights had come back on) and they said they have actually seen this in a couple of Rogues (08's only). So if you get the VCD and Slip lights coming on, don't delay. Get to the dealer. The fix was less then 100 bucks and well worth it. My lights have been on since the repair and they had been coming on everyday.

schumatt
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL-AWD

jmbones wrote:Does your Rogue also show just the "slip detected" light and induce traction control/throttle adjustments? My wifes Rogue did this yesterday. The dash light for slip detection would go on and engage the traction control and the car would buck because of the throttle cutoff and the ABS. Problem is, the road was dry and straight, the wheels were not slipping.
My Rogue did this driving home tonight. The road was perfectly dry, headed down a straightaway at about 35-40 MPH, and the slip slight started flashing and I could feel the power shifting between wheels as if it was slipping. I slowed down -- no change -- shifted into manual -- no change. It continued to act up until I pulled into a parking lot and stopped completely. After I started back up, I drove the rest of the way home (20 minutes) with no more problems.

Has this happened to anyone else? I'm supposed to leave on a 3 day trip with my Rogue tomorrow morning... hoping this was just a fluke!

philipa_240sx

schmatt,

I recommend you bring your vehicle in to be looked at. There have been a few instances of strange VDC/ABS behaviour. The most likely cause is a faulty brake pedal switch (senses when the brake is fully released) but the dealer would be the best to diagnose it.

SenorPayne7
Car: 2008 Black SL AWD Nissan Rogue

oddly enough my 08' just started having this problem 3 days ago, defiantly going to the dealer soon :wtf2:

Dougfms
Car: Nissan Rogue 2008 FWD

My 2008 Rogue did this driving in the morning. I could not accelerate when pushing the gas pedal, it was almost stalling. The road was perfectly dry. The VDC light came on and I couldn't turn it off. It continued to act up until I pulled into a parking lot and stopped completely. I turned off the Rogue and turned it back on and it went away. However, as previous posts note - the car has no power when trying to accelerate and has stalled many times. So, we did what other posts recommend and took it to the dealership. It is the same thing everyone else has mentioned. The brakes are connected to this and the stalling is related to it too. After reading this forum I think something has to be done by Nissan. This is a safety issue with the 2008 Rogues. If I remember correctly, Toyota had a class action lawsuit filed against them for not issuing a recall on a safety issue.

I contacted the dealership and got Nissan Canada's number. I would suggest everyone contact the Head Office and get this noticed. There cannot be a recall unless everyone complains. You will be issued a refund if there is a recall based on this issue.

I am going to be talking with a lawyer friend (who works at Mercedes) about options and a class action lawsuit filed on behalf of Nissan 2008 Rogue owners.

Dougfms

Can we start a thread and get people to sign it as a petition? We need to petition Nissan to put this as a recall for safety and to recoup money spent on the fixes. The cost here in Canada is $300 to fix it at a dealership.
kerrton wrote:Thanks a lot everybody for sharing this information. Although it seems that it's a minor part and easy repair, the impact is dramatic when this little part fails.

I don't even have a real big problem with a cheap sensor failing causing the vehicle to become basically inoperable, but I do have a problem with the fact that the computer doesn't store the fault code. It seems if they catch it in the act of failing and pull codes it registers, but if you restart the car and things are running ok, the code is cleared until it happens again next time so it's very difficult for the tech to diagnose.

I don't understand why the fault code gets erased/cleared when the vehicle is restarted (in most cases it seems anyway). If a code is registered it should only be cleared by a service tech.

I'm not looking forward to this thing failing on me one day, whethter it's tomorrow or 8 years from now, but at least I'll have a good idea of the culprit if and when it does happen, thanks to you guys sharing your info..

philipa_240sx

Welcome to the NICOClub Rogue Forums Dougfms!

Nissan issued a TSB recently regarding acceleration issues. The culprit in some cases has been the valve body within the transmission. It's a warranty repair.

I am not suggesting your vehicle has this particular issue. However, any dealer worth it's salt should be able to diagnose these problems and fix them.
NTB10150 - SB 2010 Altima, Sentra, and Rogue; MIL ON and/or Slow Accleration From a Stop

IF YOU CONFIRM The vehicle has slower than normal acceleration from a stop at times, and/or the customer describes the vehicle has slower than normal acceleration from a stop at times, and/or The MIL is ON with DTC P1778 (STEP MOTOR) stored in Engine and/or Transmission. and/or Only for Sentra without ABS; MIL is ON with DTC P0720 (OUTPUT SPEED SENSOR) stored in Engine and/or Transmission. ACTIONS 1. Replace the transmission control valve assembly (valve body). 2. Reprogram the TCM (which includes TCM initialization). See this bulletin for further detail.

philipa_240sx

Dougfms wrote:Can we start a thread and get people to sign it as a petition? We need to petition Nissan to put this as a recall for safety and to recoup money spent on the fixes.
You are more than welcome to start one yourself Dougfms. However, there is no way for our forum software to automatically create 'petitions'. About all you can do is collect these posts and print them out... not sure if that will be enough to give it some credibility though.

I find that the dealer makes all the difference in cases like these. Some are very accommodating and willing to extend a 'good will' warranty for stuff like this... Others are not.

You may want to try another dealer, preferably in another city.

Dougfms

NissanCanada wrote:okay, so my dealership figured out what it was, the wire that connected to the ABS sensor was corroded. I asked how that was possible when the car isn't a year old. I was told that the wire wasn't long enough, so it stretched far enough that it pulled the wire protection. Then with all the salt and cold weather it finally corroded. They put in a longer wire. Problem solved.
If you had the VDC light come on or the gas pedal not responding because of this then please contact Nissan Canada. This really is a safety issue and they need to be aware of it. Nissan Canada 1-800-387-0122

Dougfms

philipa_240sx wrote:
Dougfms wrote:Can we start a thread and get people to sign it as a petition? We need to petition Nissan to put this as a recall for safety and to recoup money spent on the fixes.
You are more than welcome to start one yourself Dougfms. However, there is no way for our forum software to automatically create 'petitions'. About all you can do is collect these posts and print them out... not sure if that will be enough to give it some credibility though.

I find that the dealer makes all the difference in cases like these. Some are very accommodating and willing to extend a 'good will' warranty for stuff like this... Others are not.

You may want to try another dealer, preferably in another city.
Thanks - no - mine was not and out of warranty. I have put a notice into Nissan Canada. Anyone in Canada having this problem should let Nissan Canada know about it because it is a safety issue. You can phone Nissan Canada 1-800-387-0122 to report this issue. This really should be a recall.

kerrton

The difficulty here is that I see about 3 completely seperate issues that are being discussed and lumped together:
1) faulty/corroded ABS sensor wire, 2) transmission valve body 3) brake pedal sensor

These 3 issuess also appear to be very rare with only a handful of owners reporting problems, so I hate to say it but a recall is most likely a long shot however it's always good to give feedback to the manufacturer when a significant safety issue occurs with your vehicle. You never know how many others may be experiencing the problem and how serious the issue may be.

rrs26ja
Car: 2008 Rouge, 1998 Maxima

Just returned from 2,000 mile vacation 2,000. Right before we left the VDC, slip lights were coming on intermittently. I noticed on the way home it seemed like the transmission might be slipping. When I got home (thank god) I could not back up the driveway, the car would go to 4000 rpm but hardly move. It also does this in drive when starting out. Could this be the same issue people are talking about here?

philipa_240sx

rrs26ja wrote:Just returned from 2,000 mile vacation 2,000. Right before we left the VDC, slip lights were coming on intermittently. I noticed on the way home it seemed like the transmission might be slipping. When I got home (thank god) I could not back up the driveway, the car would go to 4000 rpm but hardly move. It also does this in drive when starting out. Could this be the same issue people are talking about here?
rrs26ja, it's quite possible that it's the same issue.

The CVT has an extended warranty of 10 years/120,000 miles. I would promptly bring it to the dealer for diagnoses.

TaiLuu
Car: 2009 Nissan Murano LE AWD
2011 Nissan Rogue SV AWD
2014 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum

Seems like the problem only go towards 08' models.
My light only came on once, when I tried to wake my friend up by turning the wheel fast.
I think its a brake master cylinder problem. Or the sensor by the wheels.
Does vdc use braking to slow down one wheel or more to help you control the car more in situation?

kerrton

That is exactly what the VDC does, it senses loss of traction and individually adjusts throttle and braking for each wheel to bring the vehicle back under control. Even in FWD vehicles the VDC operates each brake independantly if it senses a problem.

rrs26ja

Update, I have no brake lights

TaiLuu
Car: 2009 Nissan Murano LE AWD
2011 Nissan Rogue SV AWD
2014 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum

rrs26ja wrote:Update, I have no brake lights
Ok that could be a fuse or the brake light switch is bad. I'm starting to think its a master cylinder problem. Or the hydraulic rod that is in the pedal. And speed sensors.

Does abs in the rogue use p/s, since the p/s is electric?
Cause I remember abs uses p/s.

-mobile

philipa_240sx

TaiLuu wrote:
rrs26ja wrote:Update, I have no brake lights
Ok that could be a fuse or the brake light switch is bad.
Agreed. Either of these could cause the taillight issue.
Does abs in the rogue use p/s, since the p/s is electric?
Cause I remember abs uses p/s.
No, the power steering has nothing to do with the ABS.

The Rogue does have a steering angle sensor (completely separate from the PS) that is used by the VDC system. But I have not heard of issues with these.

These can be very complex issues to diagnose. I strongly recommend taking it to the dealer and having them look at it.

SenorPayne7
Car: 2008 Black SL AWD Nissan Rogue

I had this ABS and Slip light problem a few weeks ago, while driving around with these lights on my tail lights were NOT working... take the car into the dealer for the fix

kerrton

SenorPayne, we're short on details about the fix for this problem. Did you have your problem corrected by the dealer? If so, what was the fix?

geoblek
Car: NISSAN ROGUE

kerrton wrote:SenorPayne, we're short on details about the fix for this problem. Did you have your problem corrected by the dealer? If so, what was the fix?
Ironically, I want my VDC, Slip and ABS lights back!
While doing a test drive before I took over my 2008 SL AWD from previous owner the VDC, Slip, AWD and ABS warning lights came on. Otherwise the vehicle drove smoothly and everything was just perfect. We agreed with the guy that I would take the vehicle if he's able to get rid of the warning lights. He sent it to a local dealer who got rid of the warning lights but I never bothered to check what he actually diagnosed. Very stupid of me, when I saw the warning lights were no more I paid off the guy and drove my Rogue to my station, close to 500km away, without doing any further checks, only to realize that when the ingition key is turned in ACC mode all these lights do not appear at all! So I have no means of telling if all these are functioning. However, I hear the click sound when I engage the AWD manually. I sent the vehicle to a local Nissan dealer who says everything is functioning properly but can't tell what the other mechanic did. Strangely No Error codes - at least that's what he claims

Is it possible the smart guy made the first mechanic remove the LED on the dash board or there are fuses that could have been removed just to take my money? When I took a closer look I saw that one of the tyres is of different brand. Is it possible this was what confused the VDC, ABS to give the warning lights? The low tire pressure indicator appears faintly. (mileage - 31K Km). Any ideas? I'm not very bright with automobils

rrs26ja

Problem Solved: It was the break light switch. Took the dealer about an 1 hour to diagnose the issues and change out the part.

The symptoms were:

1. VDC, Slip lights came on intermittent
2. No brake lights
3. Gas pedal non responsive from stand still

rfarrah
Car: 2009 Murano

I have been able to confirm that the brake switch is at the heart of my problem. When lack of acceleration starts, I can put the car in park, and go down to the brake pedal switch, snap it a couple times, and the problem is fixed, temporarily.

I bought a replacement switch at the Dealership, but when I install it, it is like the brakes are on ALL the time. The switch looks identical to the previous one and appears to work the same as well. I'm thinking it may be a bad switch, but I'm open to any input.....

tonyr
Car: rouge 2008

rrs26ja wrote:Problem Solved: It was the break light switch. Took the dealer about an 1 hour to diagnose the issues and change out the part.

The symptoms were:

1. VDC, Slip lights came on intermittent
2. No brake lights
3. Gas pedal non responsive from stand still
i have the same symptoms have you had any problems after the fix at all

SherryinJville
Car: Rogue 2011

I have a 2011 Rogue. Was pulling out of a parking lot when the anti skid light came on! I heard a horrific sound and found out the break was applied to the left rear tire. Scary as heck. Anyway, went to Nissan and they said it was something related to the front strut, a switch, etc. To make a long story short, after $2400 repair work, I picked it up, drove out of the dealership and within 10 minutes skid light came on again while making a left turn, except it was now from the front of the car. With Hazard lights on, drove back into the dealership at 25mph. The service technician couldn't believe it so we went out. After accelerating to 60 miles with nothing happening, the technician turned around and shortly afterward it happened again!! This is sunny Jacksonville, temperature in the upper 80's, roads dry. Needless to say it is in the shop again. :help:

Return to “Rogue Forum”