Using a Sentra lock on your S13

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
DanThaMan
Car: 1993 240sx

I know some of you already know about this, but I never saw a write up on it, so I'm going to attempt one.
First you need a Door lock cylinder kit from Autozone, O'reilly's, Advance, etc. for a 1990-'94 Sentra, they run about $20, a lot less than what the dealer wants :naughty:
note: this write up is for people who's locks have broken the inner cylinder that holds the arm.
Also, I will not cover changing out the tumblers.
Tools needed:
10mm socket(to remove door handle)
dikes
needle nose
small screwdriver
wire brush
Dremel/hacksaw (not needed but makes it a little easier)
hammer
small center punch

The S13 lock is on the left, and the Sentra is on the right, as you can see they are mostly different.

First thing we want to do is remove the C-clip and arms from the 2 cylinders. Save the arm from the 240sx

Now take the return spring off of the outer cylinder

Now we need to remove the Stainless cover from the front of the Sentra lock. I used a Dremel to slot it, then I pried it off with a pair of dikes. Below you can see the one removed on the left, and a new one on the right

Now slide the inner cylinder out

You can pitch the the Sentra outer cylinder, arm, and front cover, all we need to use is the inner cylinder, return spring and c-clip

Now for the S13 cylinder. Remove the stainless cover by prying the two pinched tabs out. Be careful not to mangle it up too bad as we will need it later.

Slide the cover off, and the broken inner cylinder, out of the outer cylinder. Set the cover and outer cylinder aside.

As you can see, the inner cylinders of the S13 and Sentra are Identical

Now take your handy Dremel with a wire wheel and clean the crap out of your S13 outer cylinder. A .50 cal muzzleloader or 12ga. barrel brush works too.

Now slide your Sentra inner cylinder into your 240sx Outer and pop the stainless cover on. Use a punch or something similar to re-crimp the Stainless cover.

Put the return spring back, put the arm on the inner cyl. and finally the C-clip, Now you have a functional lock cylinder and you don't have to spend 90 bucks for a new one at the dealer!

I appreciate feedback, let me know if anything was confusing or if I need to ad pictures, and I hope this was helpful.
thanks!
Last edited by DanThaMan on Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

Nice. You should clean the arm up more while its out.

zerepdivad
Car: '90 240sx . '02 Lexus IS300

I'm pretty sure i bought some at autozone for like 20-30 bucks with keys brand new for my old 90 240sx.

DanThaMan
Car: 1993 240sx

I actually used a different arm from another broken one i got at the junkyard.
We could get the locks about 6 months ago, but Borg Warner, locksmart, Dorman etc. all discontinued that product for some reason, I had called all of them for one of my customers at work

supersayianjim
Car: 89 240sx(s13)

excellent write up.

supersayianjim

excellent write up.

supersayianjim

excellent write up.

sr20-thoj
Car: 89 nissan 240sx coupe

This is a great write up.. Perfect timing as well.. I am in need of some new locks cause mine were starting to go bad.. thanks.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”