USDM vg30dett engine wiring harness same as JDM vg30dett?

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
JESSZ32-S13
Car: 300zx twin turbo

wanting to swap to a JDM vg30dett and was wanting to know if the engine harness and ecu were the same as the USDM? HELP PLEASE !

Jaykit
Car: 1990 JDM Fairlady Z32, Twin Turbo, 2+2, Silver

As I am learning more and more, the JDM vs the USDM do have alot of differences in them. Although the mechanics are the same there are many variations. With the harness I would presume that it would all be the same, but dont quote me on that. Your best bet is probably to call one of the NICO sponsors, Z1, or CZP that sells the wiring harness and they would be able to give you a better idea.

edgartheace
Car: 1993 240sx, 1992 300zx RIP, 1993 300zx 2+2, 1993 Infinti J30t

Every plug on the JDM engine and the USDM is in it's identical location with the exception of the Oil pressure sensor. On the JDM engine it is on the left side of the motor while on the USDM one it is on the right side. All you have to do is just swap the sensor and plug around on your JDM engine and it will connect right up with your USDM harness.

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

yup, and the pigtail going to the ecu is shorter on the JDM engine, due to theirs being RHD the ECU is placed ont he left so the harnes is shorter and will nto reach the US ecu postion

tg

probably easier to leave the usdm harness in the car and detatch everything from the engine, lift it and replace it with the jdm engine which you can connect back up -- easier than pulling hte harness out of the firewall etc, but you have to make sure the years are similar.

RevTech
Car: 1990 Nissan 300zx 2+2 TT MT

tg wrote:probably easier to leave the usdm harness in the car and detatch everything from the engine, lift it and replace it with the jdm engine which you can connect back up -- easier than pulling hte harness out of the firewall etc, but you have to make sure the years are similar.
2nd that.

DustinZ
Car: 1990 Z32, rb25 s13, 1980 S130 10th anniversary, 1978 5speed fact ac s30, s2 rb26 on deck!

Buy a new arness for a USDM TT. I could sell you one for $400 and for a new harness that is silly. Nissan made crappy harnesses and new that and made the harnesses cheap to purchase. The JDM harness is way to short an you would have to lengthen the whole harness main bundle to get it to work. That would be the worst thing in the world to do. If you need a harness email me at [email protected]

DustinZ

tg

you can pick up a new harness anywhere, there are lots of places that sell them, like conceptzperformance.com and z1motorsports.com

We made the mistake of pulling a TT with the harness on the engine (before watching the mws swap bible) and it took easily an extra 4 hours.

sampsonJ
Car: 85 300zx NA / 92 Fairlady Z TT.

thats simply not correct at all. I dont have time to find it but there is a manual online you can look at that shows the differences in RHD and LHD wiring.

If i can find it in the next few seconds ill post it.

EDIT--------------

And example of what i mean... this was the first page of wires in the manual

EDIT 2 ---------------

http://www.300zx-twinturbo.com/cgi-bin/manual.cgi

Shahee1
Car: 1993 240sx w RB20DET

I used the USDM harness ... The sensors are different - Coolant Temp/TPS/IACV ... I was going to swap the TPS sensors and noticed that the shafts are different on the throttle body. The JDM TPS sensor looks diffent and is shaped different also so I had to de-pin usdm harness swap pins to JDM connector.

hun t_x
Car: 1991 fairlady 300zx tt std rhd

hey TG you mention the mws swap bible and making the mistake of pulling a TT with the harness on the engine and it taking an extra 4 hours. can I get a hold of the bible? and what was your experience pulling the TT I'm doing my sons RHD jap spec here pretty soon got any wisdom tips to pass on ??thanx Bro

Hachibill

tg wrote:probably easier to leave the usdm harness in the car and detatch everything from the engine, lift it and replace it with the jdm engine which you can connect back up -- easier than pulling hte harness out of the firewall etc, but you have to make sure the years are similar.
wow, that is the dumbest thing i've ever heard any one say, you must have zero experience pulling motor's or working on cars in general.

the easier way to do it is to leave the harness on the motor and pull it. then with the motor out of the car you can get to everything easier and have less of a chance of destroying any plugs.

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

you do understand what you circled in those diagrams was where the main harness is different where it connects to the ignition switch and that the engine room harness is still the same aside from the ecu location?

tg

The oil pressure sender plug (which is actually part of the engine room harness and not the efi harness, will be on the wrong side of the engine after the swap, but its very easy to extend as its only 1 wire.

other than that, I can't think of anything else that needed extending. because you're going from usdm tt to jdm tt there's not alot of items that are in a different place. Its more of an issue if you're going from a usdm NA to a jdm TT engine that you will run into misfits and such.

Z32TT
Car: 90' 300ZX TT

just buy a new harness for wahtever rhd/lhd vehicle you have you will prob wanna replace it with new anyway since its out

615z32
Car: 1993 300zxtt

Is the oil sending unit a yellow plug on the bottom of the motor? I just got a jdm vg30dett its a 93 engine in my 93 body. The plug only had one yellow wire and a little boot around the plug. It was cut when i got it and i cant find its other half. I just ggot a brand new efi harness and its not on it so im assuming its on the transmissiom harness. Any help on the matter would be nice. Its the last plug i need to locate before installation.

nissanfreak12
Car: 92 300zx 2+2 TT

This thread is almost 5 years old, I'm sure most of these guys are rarely on here anymore.

The oil sending unit is on the transmission harness. You can always most the pressure sensor to the oil tree from the hard lines on the driver side of the engine. Its actually very simple, just make sure ou plug up the line with the screw you pulled out of the oil tree.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”