UpRev Engine Management System Discussion Thread for 2011+ M37/M56/Q70

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
1GR8M56S
Car: 2013 M56S

Well me and a few of the other Nico members were speaking of the uprev system and would like any and all helpful information from the 1st step of installation to tuning and getting the best results from the program, I personally have purchased the uprev system but have not installed it because I want details on installing it and not try it on my own and risk the chance of screwing up the computer on the car, I know theres a utube video on the system but I think its not clear, on other forums they mention you can make a copy of your stock cpu and send it to uprev and they'll send it back tuned, how is that done stuff like that is what I need information on ect.
Thanks

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

So, what happens is that when you purchase UpRev, you get the Osiris software (as well as Cipher) and that is what is used to talk to your ECU.

Cipher allows to you talk to your car and clear check engine lights, remembered fuel savings, read real-time parameters like intake air temp, fuel pressure, etc. all from the ECU.

Once you get your license and the cable, you connect the computer you're using to the OBD-II port via the cable, launch Osiris and 'dump' (download) the stock ECU software onto your PC. You then send this .bin file to UpRev who performs and eTune on it (based on what parts you have on it, etc.) and sends the tune back to you. When you get it back, you simply connect your laptop again and 'push' the eTune to the ECU of the car (aka flash it) and you're done.

The eTune's aren't perfect and are more of a 'one size fits all' solution. If you want a tune specific to your car, you'll have to find an UpRev tuner (use their site).

My 2007 M35x was UpRev'ed and I recently sent my cable to my tuner in WA (I'm in NY) who has licensed it for use with my 2011 M56x. I should have the cable tomorrow and will start the process of dumping my ECU so he can take a look at it.

I like UpRev, even if it doesn't get me gobs of power, for one very cool feature: multiple maps.

On my M35x, I had 5 maps:

1) Stock
2) Performance
3) ECO
4) Valet (car wouldn't rev past 2,500 RPM and go faster than 25MPH)
5) Theft (car ran like **** lol, felt like every cylinder was misfiring)

BTW, I'm sticky'ing this thread in the FAQ for prosperity purposes.

1GR8M56S

It should get a lot of attention, there's a gentleman from infinitisceneq.com where he mentioned he did the following "the Rev limiter was bumped to 7200, and the speed limiter bumped up to 180, the throttle position is opened to a 100% within the Rev range" will I be able to do this type of adjustments myself or will I need to find a tuner, basically what I'm asking when I have my computer hooked up to the odb port and running uprev does it have a box or gauge where it says rev limiter or throttle position and I can just type what I want the change to be? Thanks.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

I never used Cipher so I'm not sure what that looks like...but yes, my speed limiter was removed on my 2007, my timing advance was changed slightly, etc. This is a very powerful piece of software. That being said, unless you know what you're doing (as in you've tuned other cars), I would beg you to NOT do ANYTHING yourself.

1GR8M56S

Ok thanks, heard loud and clear

iwk2much
Car: Infiniti 2007 M45
Infiniti 2013 M56S
Audi 2014 RS5
2015 GMC Denali
Lexus 2011 IS 250

Will this software allow you to fully override the traction control system - as in leave a burn out trail to be proud of in front of my least favorite neighbors driveway?

1GR8M56S

You mean something like this
https://youtu.be/qiNlKEqzQmg
LOL

Ilya

iwk2much wrote:Will this software allow you to fully override the traction control system - as in leave a burn out trail to be proud of in front of my least favorite neighbors driveway?
Doubt it...I'd love it too cause this Attessa AWD while amazing in the snow SUCKS in the dry...can't have ANY fun lol.

Update: I received my cable back from my tuner and the car is dumping the ECU as I type this. And I need to clarify my original post (which I have already edited), when you buy the basic UpRev package (Osiris Standard for $550) you get the following:

Osiris - Talks to ECU for the purpose of dumping it and flashing it
Cipher - Talks to the ECU for the purpose of reading real-time values, clearing check engine lights, etc.

There is no editing function available in that package. You would need to buy the $775 Osiris Tuner package to get the ROM Editor. So again, take it to a tuner or have them eTune (you get 3 eTunes with the purchase of Osiris Standard).

austin713
Car: 2011 M37

If you already bought the license, i would just take it to a Uprev tuner in your area and have them dyno the car and make changes there. the biggest expense is the License which i think is $400. add an hour or so of dyno time and you will most likely get better results than just sending it into uprev.

Ilya

austin713 wrote:If you already bought the license, i would just take it to a Uprev tuner in your area and have them dyno the car and make changes there. the biggest expense is the License which i think is $400. add an hour or so of dyno time and you will most likely get better results than just sending it into uprev.
This is exactly correct. I don't have any tuners near me, unfortunately, but perhaps OP has better luck.

1GR8M56S

I have the orsis Tuner it's been on my dining room table for over 3 months I might give it a try this weekend now that I have more information on how it works and I'm still debating whether to cut the Y pipes, I also want to do a cold air intake theres a company that will do it custom down here in Florida there called Treadstone, so I want to do a dyno before any changes then another dyno with the uprev installed and then another dyno with all the other modifications those are my plans how long will it take before it happens I don't know

Ilya

Ahh okay, so then you have the editor. I've never seen it, so not sure how crazy or complex it is, but I know for the average person...it's better off to give to someone to tune.

iwk2much
Car: Infiniti 2007 M45
Infiniti 2013 M56S
Audi 2014 RS5
2015 GMC Denali
Lexus 2011 IS 250

1GR8M56S wrote:You mean something like this
LOL
whoa....that would work perfectly.

Ilya

iwk2much wrote:
1GR8M56S wrote:You mean something like this
LOL
whoa....that would work perfectly.
HOLY crap. I hate my AWD so much now.

adeedpb
Car: 2012 M56
2005 BMW X5 4.4i
2005 G35 Sedan - SOLD
1995 Ford Taurus SHO (Supercharged) - SOLD

Be very careful with UpRev, I had it for my G35, you can do some serious damage.

Tuning mostly consists of making 0-60 runs or dyno runs, recording the data, and then adjusting fuel maps so that the proper air/fuel ratio is maintained throughout the powerband.

I bet the M56 would get the most use out of the throttle adjustments; I have heard there is an issue with adjusting timing values with the M56, unless that has been fixed.

AlphaSnacks
Car: 2013 M56S Aero

Yeah, best not to mess with timing on the M56.

parkstr8r
Car: 2018 Infiniti Q70S
2016 Gt-R
2018 Audi Q7
2016 Audi S6 (gone)

I did this for my new Q70S, and honestly I can't tell much of a difference in the tunes. I did notice when in tune #1 - it seems to occasionally "hiccup" a little, which I found disconcerting. Didn't like that so I just usually keep it in stock tune mode.

AlphaSnacks

What exactly did you do? Sounds like a s*** tune and possibly even on a stock car. VQ37s respond very well to UpRev's tunes.

Ilya

FWIW, I just finished getting my car eTuned by one of our NICO members on here. Car definitely woke up after he was done with it. If you are interested in UpRev for a 2003+ Nissan/Infiniti, please reach out to him and support one of our own as opposed to UpRev themselves (unless you have a tuner local to you of course lol). UpRev has terrible customer service and this guy took care of me and was working with me via email sometimes at 10 or 11PM EST (he's on the west cost), but still way after most people go home.

He set me up with 5 different 'maps':

1) Stock - no adjustments
2) Performance - adjusted A/F to combat the running rich issue, etc.
3) Eco - I'm assuming also adjust A/F
4) Valet - car won't do more than 25mph or 3000 rpm no matter how hard you push the accelerator
5) Anti-Theft - car won't start. If it manages to, it sputters and then dies.

His NICO username is 'seymore4' but his email is '[email protected]'. I believe he doesn't log in here as much, so it might be best to email him. His name is Joe, tell him Ilya with the M56x from NY sent ya.

adeedpb
2005 BMW X5 4.4i
2005 G35 Sedan - SOLD

Nice, Thanks for the report, I was wondering how well it worked.

Joe is a great guy! He helped me with my G35. He did an amazing job of e-tuning it and was very prompt. I vouch for him as well.

adeedpb
2005 BMW X5 4.4i
2005 G35 Sedan - SOLD

Great now I got the mod bug again, and I was doing so good. Thanks IlyaKol

SwissCheeseHead
Car: 11 M37x, 94 BMW 530i

IlyaKol wrote:So, what happens is that when you purchase UpRev, you get the Osiris software (as well as Cipher) and that is what is used to talk to your ECU.

Cipher allows to you talk to your car and clear check engine lights, remembered fuel savings, read real-time parameters like intake air temp, fuel pressure, etc. all from the ECU.

Once you get your license and the cable, you connect the computer you're using to the OBD-II port via the cable, launch Osiris and 'dump' (download) the stock ECU software onto your PC. You then send this .bin file to UpRev who performs and eTune on it (based on what parts you have on it, etc.) and sends the tune back to you. When you get it back, you simply connect your laptop again and 'push' the eTune to the ECU of the car (aka flash it) and you're done.

The eTune's aren't perfect and are more of a 'one size fits all' solution. If you want a tune specific to your car, you'll have to find an UpRev tuner (use their site).

My 2007 M35x was UpRev'ed and I recently sent my cable to my tuner in WA (I'm in NY) who has licensed it for use with my 2011 M56x. I should have the cable tomorrow and will start the process of dumping my ECU so he can take a look at it.

I like UpRev, even if it doesn't get me gobs of power, for one very cool feature: multiple maps.

1) Stock
2) Performance
3) ECO

Thanks for the detailed description of this process. I was always curious about getting uprev installed but never knew how or the costs involved. Sounds like at the end of the day, it'll cost around $500-600 bones. Is it worth it for the minimal HP gains from bolt-ons?

Ilya

adeedpb wrote:Great now I got the mod bug again, and I was doing so good. Thanks IlyaKol
Hahahah. GOT EM!
SwissCheeseHead wrote:
IlyaKol wrote:So, what happens is that when you purchase UpRev, you get the Osiris software (as well as Cipher) and that is what is used to talk to your ECU.

1) Stock
2) Performance
3) ECO

Thanks for the detailed description of this process. I was always curious about getting uprev installed but never knew how or the costs involved. Sounds like at the end of the day, it'll cost around $500-600 bones. Is it worth it for the minimal HP gains from bolt-ons?
Yeah, that's the ballpark. I already had a cable so it was a smidge cheaper for me (since I had the cable from my 07).

It's definitely worth it. Car became fun again after that whole reset-ECU thing a few weeks ago...now it's even more fun. Everything feels more precise, the shifts, etc. and I don't even have any parts yet...if you had a proper exhaust and a proper intake to this, you can easily get a very nice thing going. Wish someone would make a thermal spacer as well for this engine...would be amazing.

seymore4
Professional UPREV tuner

Thanks for the write up I'm glad I was able to help you out!

AlphaSnacks

Wow, I need to hit up Seymore. There could always be room for improvement.

How much do you charge?

1GR8M56S

Im curious as well I have the uprev system not installed yet, what's Seymore's cost on that?

seymore4
Professional UPREV tuner

Shoot me an email, there are many different variables for the M's

AlphaSnacks

Thanks, man. You're extremely prompt with your emails. I love that.

seymore4
Professional UPREV tuner

There are WAY too many guys in the industry who think its ok to ignore emails and leave people hanging for weeks.. even if its not the answer you want to hear I believe prompt communication is very important.

Ilya

UpRev being one of those. They suck at getting back to customers. When I first that the M56, I was waiting like a week between replies only to find out they didn't have the ECU in their plans or whatever.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”