Upgrading 93 240sx

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
mlese216

I recently bought a 93 240sx and I was wondering what upgrades I should install to make the car really haul *** when I have my foot to the floor. I was looking at an Injen intake for about $200 and was wondering what else I could do to boost performance. Oh yea, im a beginner so try not to get too technical.

240SXy
Car: 1993 240SX coupe

LSD, header, exhaust. Welcome to you, I just bought a 93 coupe in July. It is the greatest car ever! ( Well, it's a lot better than all the other cars I've had, even my first, an 88 Taurus.)

Zebrahead
Car: cars, basketball, girls, fishing

Ok, I'll be patient.

First, welcome to the boards. Please feel free to use the search button in the upper corner before you post.

Second, about the car. Is it a coupe? Because that's what I have, a 93 coupe. My suggestion, if you don't plan to spend too much money, would be to first complete your exhaust system. A good exhaust system and a header would run around $800, and would give you around 10 horsepower (about 4-5 to the wheels). Get an intake next, because the car can now push out more exhaust without backpressure from the old, small exhaust.

Once you have those three, its all up to you. I'd get a good, strong clutch, like a Clutchmaster Stage 2, or a ACT stage 2. Stock clutches start to slip after a while of hard driving. Find out if your car has a LSD (Limited Slip Differential), and if it doesn't, get one. An LSD makes the power equalize between the two wheels when traction is lost (aka a slide, burnout, etc) so you don't just spin one tire. It greatly increases traction, and is great if you plan to do a lot of straight line races.

After you have the I/H/E + clutch/LSD, you'd have a pretty quick car. You could expect a 15 or so in the quarter mile.

After this point, it gets expensive. Camgears are a very worthwhile investment, because they increase the exhaust and intake duration in your cylinder, so they allow more gas/air into the cylinder, aka bigger explosion, more power. Cams are typically around $300-400, and if you can't install them yourself, expect another 200-250. These will give you around 20 horsepower (around 8-10 to the wheels).

Then you could increase the compression ratio in your cylinders. Now, for the motor you have (a KA24DE), its easy. Just buy the cheap pistons from the single cam variation (KA24E) and viola, 10.5 compression. The pistons would be a little over $200, but the install would be around 300-400. This would also get you around 20HP (8-10 to the wheels).

Once you have all this, you'll have over 200HP (around 170 to the rear wheels) and you'd run mid-low 14s in the quarter mile. A very quick car for around $3000-3500.

Dattebayo
Car: 2004 Frontier Desert Runner

i have a 93 as well, but on the idea of saving bucks anywhere i can, can you use used SOHC pistons and have as much luck? Of course i would change the rings, but i figure used with low mileage would be about $100 cheaper right off...

mlese216

I have already spun out once when I was in a turn in first gear when the road was wet. Also, There is a hill that I have to climb when I come home and if I am in second gear and the road is wet my wheels will start to spin if I have my foot too far on the gas and I will get that feeling like im about to spin out. Will an LSD fix this? And how much would one cost.

Dattebayo
Car: 2004 Frontier Desert Runner

dude try getting some better tires first. just get the kind with a rain traction rating on them.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”