Update on my Max. The new rolling gear is finally on.

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
IanS
Car: 2002 Subaru WRX, 2010 Subaru Forester XT, 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe.

Finally got the wheels wrapped with rubber, and on the car.

Some of you may remember I picked these wheels up in rough shape, but did a cheapo refurb to make them useable again, AKA The $40 solution

I left off there, waiting for tires.

I did a lot of searching when it came to tires. Since I work for a company that just happens to sell tires, I decided to get something nice. Since my wife primarily drives this car, my first priorities were quietness, wet/dry traction, and tread life. After looking at my options, I realized that the only logical choice for me was the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity. They are supposed to rival high end Michililns in road noise, comfort, and treadwear. While surpassing them in handling, and bead durability. I have read many reviews of theses tires lasting up to 80,000 miles.

I ordered them up, and they came in on our usual Thursday tire truck.

I chose to go with the factory SE size of 245, 45, 18. The tread design is unique, and rather aggressive looking for a touring tire.

They sat around in the shop all day until I had a chance to mount them up. I brought the wheels in first since the shop was full. With a little muscle and some new chrome valve stems, they were all ready to go.

I am actually very impressed with the durability of the rattle can finish. Generally tire mounting puts a lot of stress on the rim of the wheel. Between the machine, the tire, and the bead bar, its very easy to scratch even nice wheels. I was able to mount up all 4 without any new damage. The paint stood up perfectly. I think it really helped that I allowed them to cure for almost a month.

Then I pulled my car in, and put the car up on a lift and pulled all the snow tires/wheels off. The brakes checked out good, all the suspension seemed to be in good shape. Not surprising for 47,000 miles. One thing I have been keeping my eye on, is the front hub bearings, as they have been known to fail before 100K.

As I started hanging wheels on the car, I realized there was a small problem. The rears fit perfectly, but the front center caps could not be installed. But I will get back to that later.

After getting the wheels on, I took the car around the block to settle the suspension, then I pulled it onto the alignment rack.

Upon checking the alignment, I discovered that the rear camber and toe were out of spec, as well as the front toe.

Gratefully, Nissan used factory cam bolts on the camber arms, so i was able to bring every angle back into spec. With the car back off the rack, I took if for a spin. Everything felt good, so I packed up and headed home for the day.

When I got home, I decided to tackle the only fitment issue. Because these wheels were designed to fit on the RWD G35, the center hub is very thin to achieve the concave face of the wheel. On the G it is fine, but the Maxima has long front axle shaft stubs.

They stick out so far, they make running center caps impossible.

I had only 3 options. Run without them, run spacers, or trim the axles. In the end, I chose the latter, because in the reality, all that extra threaded shaft is useless anyway.

I pulled the wheel off, and scoped out my prey.

I attached with a cutting wheel, and followed through. The kill was good.

Im not super happy about removing the cotter pin hole, but in reality, It will be fine without. Many FWD cars on the marked dont have cotter pinned axles. Im not saying anyone else should do this, so if you do, do it at your own risk.

To be extra safe, I added a little blue locktite to the end of the nut. I highly doubt its going to go anywhere. Its been on there for 47K, Im sure its good and rusted by now. We will see how things go when I have to change my first wheel bearing. I may decided to invest in a GM style locking axle nut.

The next day, I decided to give the car her first good wash/wax of the year, then I snapped a picture or two.

All in all I thing the fitment is very good. They sit close to the fenders then the SE wheels, and they have a more aggressive face. Plus Nissan was smart enough to use the same size center caps for Nissan and Infiniti wheels, so I was able to pick up a set, and put them on. Only I will know these are not factory wheels.

Today I decided to take the car for a spin down some state park roads, to get a feel for the new tires. I am extremely pleased with them. They are quiet and responsive. The grip level is very good, and they seem to have a very linear traction breakaway point. They are comfortable, yet precise. I finally got a chance to get a feeling for how well the Max handles. Im truly impressed with the suspension on the car, Nissan did a very good job hiding all the weight this car totes around. It doesn't feel nearly as big as it is, and it really instilled confidence in me. 6 months from the time I got her, and Im still very happy.

Stupid rain got the car all dirty.

Next update, LBC taillight overlays. I just got them in the mail on Friday, hopefully I can get them on some time this week.

bundy26
Car: 2011 Buick Regal turbo

Really sharp looking tread design.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Weird. The G35 18's fit my 2k2 Maxima with no issue at all....

lino
Car: 1991 Q45a Fed-Spec, IQP/White, Texasoil 9 Accumulator Recharge, '93 TCU 1st Gear Start, JWFSB, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, BBS Forged Wheels, DRLs, Silverstars, Tint, Very Well Serviced.

Looking good

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Nice! They actually suit the car really well.

NutriaforBreakfast
Car: Nissan Maxima 1995 VQDE engine

Watch out for the inspection people who might pull your wheelsto check brakes

IanS

NutriaforBreakfast wrote:Watch out for the inspection people who might pull your wheelsto check brakes
No inspections here in MN, and even if there was, I would be the one doing them.
MinisterofDOOM wrote:Nice! They actually suit the car really well.
I agree. They look really good in person, and with the Nissan caps on them, they might as well be a factory option.

MaximA32

Looks good. Where do you work?

newmaxx
Car: 01 Maxima 20th Ann. Edition

what kind of rims are those? i might have to buy it myself

IanS

MaximA32 wrote:Looks good. Where do you work?
Im a mechanic for a Bridgestone/Firestone affiliate. Which one shall remain nameless.
newmaxx wrote:what kind of rims are those? i might have to buy it myself
They are 18 x 8 Infiniti G35 Coupe sport wheels.

MaximA32

FlatBlackIan wrote:
Im a mechanic for a Bridgestone/Firestone affiliate. Which one shall remain nameless.
I used to work for a Bridgestone/Firestone affiliate as well. Notice the past tense.
FlatBlackIan wrote:They are 18 x 8 Infiniti G35 Coupe sport wheels.
Fixed.

IanS

MaximA32 wrote:
I used to work for a Bridgestone/Firestone affiliate as well. Notice the past tense.

Fixed.
Hahahah.

I do that almost every time, but I usually catch it before I post. I guess Im tired.

troskinatior
Car: A Two Tone Piggy Coupe

What grit sand paper did you use to sand down your wheel?how many cans of paint did you use?And what was the purpose of putting on the clear?

Sorry for all the questions, when I bought my car the guy only sanded down one wheel because he's lazy.

IanS

troskinatior wrote:What grit sand paper did you use to sand down your wheel?how many cans of paint did you use?And what was the purpose of putting on the clear?

Sorry for all the questions, when I bought my car the guy only sanded down one wheel because he's lazy.
IIRC, I used 320 grit.

I used 1.5 cans of primer, 1.5 cans of paint, and a full can of clear.

The paint I used has glitter in it, and it will wipe off if not covered with a clear. Also, the clear helps increase the shine and depth of the paint.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”