Unidentifide Whine (alternator whine?)

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
E7-S14
Car: ess 14 foo!

i have a whine coming from my car that sounds sorta like a supercharger whine

a friend suggested alternator.if so does that mean my alternators going bad?

when i depress the clutch it stops.. and as i raise rpms it increases in sound and intensity

jeff420
Car: too many to fathom

is it a squealing sound? have you tried popping your hood and revving the engine using the throttle body and listening? thats where i would start.......you say it goes away when you push the clutch in so im gonna say it probably has something to do with the clutch. maybe a throwout bearing? dunno. just throwin around some ideas.

xC4RNAG3x
Car: 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS 1993 Nissan 240sx Hatchback

does it sound sort of like an R1 car? My eclipse has been doing that whenever I drive it. I hit 2 Rpm and im doing about 40 or so It sounds like an R1 car get like a sound clip of it because I been having the same problem

blacksrjdm
Car: 89 240sx, 99 CBR900RR.

E7-S14 wrote:i have a whine coming from my car that sounds sorta like a supercharger whine

a friend suggested alternator.if so does that mean my alternators going bad?

when i depress the clutch it stops.. and as i raise rpms it increases in sound and intensity
If it goes away when you depress the clutch then it is with out a doubt the throw out bearing, no doubt. Definately not the alternator, the sound wouldnt go away when you push in the clutch.

zoneoneoni
Car: Nissan 240SX SR20DET

Look... It doesn't mean it's your alternator or any of that stuff... Check the quality of your SR20DE belts first. Second, if they're still in good condition and it doesn't seem to be the problem, it could be your power steering pump. Does your car make that "ERRRRRR" sound when you turn the steering wheel far to the left or right? Try flushing out your power steering fluid if it does and your belts are in good condition or using a vaccum pump to get all the air bubbles out of the p/s system. I don't even know if it's the powersteering but hell, that's the best I could really suggest.

blacksrjdm

zoneoneoni wrote:Look... It doesn't mean it's your alternator or any of that stuff... Check the quality of your SR20DE belts first. Second, if they're still in good condition and it doesn't seem to be the problem, it could be your power steering pump. Does your car make that "ERRRRRR" sound when you turn the steering wheel far to the left or right? Try flushing out your power steering fluid if it does and your belts are in good condition or using a vaccum pump to get all the air bubbles out of the p/s system. I don't even know if it's the powersteering but hell, that's the best I could really suggest.
Sorry, but no, the sound is going away when he pushes the clutch down. Not the belts, not the accessories (ps pump, alternator, a/c comp) Definately is the throwout bearing. And doesnt ness. need to be changed, it wont blow to peices or anything, but, if it gets worse, then replace.

I see your a drifter OP, that gives me even more reason to think its the TO bearing, the excessive heat at the clutch from drifting. I also drift and have replaced many TO bearings and clutches.

Space Monkey
Car: 1990 Nissan 240sx

Your not necessarily correct. If it is due to RPM range then it would make sense to be belts. When you put your clutch in it goes into idle, hence less RPM's (under 1000). When you engage your clutch your RPM's rapidly increase making more noise. It could be anything. You need to define where under the hood it is coming from. Hot side? Cold side? front? back? You have to think out side the box some times.

blacksrjdm

Space Monkey wrote:Your not necessarily correct. If it is due to RPM range then it would make sense to be belts. When you put your clutch in it goes into idle, hence less RPM's (under 1000). When you engage your clutch your RPM's rapidly increase making more noise. It could be anything. You need to define where under the hood it is coming from. Hot side? Cold side? front? back? You have to think out side the box some times.
When you push the clutch in what goes to idle??? not the drive belts if your foot is on the gas.When you engage the clutch the RPMs rapidly increase???? What does all this mean. Since when does the clutch determine RPM's????

THE DRIVE BELTS WOULD CONTINUE TO WHINE NO MATTER WHERE THE CLUTCH PEDAL IS. IT HAS TO DO WITH THE TRANSMISSION. WHETHER IT BE THE TO BEARING OR THE INPUT SHAFT BEARING, IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ACCESSORIES. COME ON PEOPLE... AND YES AS YOU INCREASE RPMS IT WILL GET LOUDER, BECAUSE THEY ARE BEARINGS. IT DOESNT EVEN MAKE SENSE THAT WHEN YOU PUSH THE CLUTCH IN THAT THE DRIVE BELTS WOULD STOP WHINING. THEY WILL BE CONTINUALLY SPINNING FASTER WITH THE CLUTCH IN OR OUT. I DONT THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX I SPEAK FROM EXPERIENCE.

But, if you would like to check the drive belts and accessories and waste you time...feel free. I am a technician, and if you ask any other technicians...they will tell you the same thing. Check the throwout bearing and the trans.'

The noise is from something that stops spinning or has pressure on it when you push in the clutch...mmmmm what could that be???

The input shaft stops spinning when you push in the clutch, and the TO bearing has pressure on it when you push in the clutch. Basic car mechanics here fellas.

Space Monkey

Dude you have to chill. I never said the belts would ever stop. I said they would slow down as they are controlled by the crankshaft. (RPM's). If you drive, then you would understand that if you engage the clutch and have no gas then you will stall....right? so, i was assuming he was not the master of stalling and was moving, hence increasing RPM's. When you disengage the clutch your CAR goes into idle. for a technician you sure ask funny questions.

blacksrjdm

Couldnt be sitting still without being in gear...right???

Heres my last comment...

He never said while he was driving he was hearing a noise, #1The drive belts slow down but thats a squeel not a whine, #2

To the OP,

I would ask you and only you. To go out to the car, leave the door open, start it.

After starting it, and you hear the noise, push in the clutch, if it goes away completely, then the problem is your throwout bearing, or internal trans.

Please dont listen to the belt problems this guy thinks you have. his logic doesnt make sense and I have more experience behind the wheel, and more experience and sense than space monkey. I am not here to argue, but, when I hear a complaint I deal with, with my drift car, and all of the drift cars I work on, and people are way way off on their diagnosis...I have to say something. This is why I continue to make money, and other shops and techs continue to have comebacks. I have had two...one the guy over reved his SR20det and blew it up...not my fault...and, one time, I forgot to plug a guys e-fan in and it got a little warm on his way home. He returned and I plugged in the fan...havent gotten any complaints otherwise...

BUT, HEY IT COULD BE THE BELTS...

E7-S14

my belts are finemy PS system is perfect

when i try to put the shifter in gear w/o clutching in it whines louder( i dont do this.. i just noticed this)

i just got back from a drift event this past weekend if that says anything about heat/clutch wear etc..

the whine it makes gains intensity as teh rpms raiseonce the exhaust get loud enough i cant hear it. when i shift. it drops with the rpms then does it again.and it does do it while im driving.just a constant whine(like someone said in this thread.. like an F1 car or a supercharger)

blacksrjdm

TO bearing, it has every symptom... G/L hope I helped.

Space Monkey

now now, there is no need for you to get personal. You have no idea of the experience of everyone on this forum, although i will admit you probably do have more than me and i don't have a problem in being honest. I was just clearly stating that the possibility of belts and or anything the belts are connected to could be a suspect, but we need more info. I never said you were wrong, i said you MAY be incorrect. For your numbers 1 and 2:

1) he never stated he wasn't driving his car.2) That is all interpretation.

E7-S14

well i bought a comp clutch before i did my swap and was just waiting to swap it in.guessing now's better time than ever cuz it comes with a T/O bearing

and as far as interpretation of beltsits not a squeal.. its a whine..a constant whine.

got chub
Car: pearl white 95 240sx

i have a similar noise and everything you said is the same as mine. i still dont know what it is but if i drive the car hard for about 15 minutes it goes away just for that day then its back. i have no clue what it is.

ddgsxr504
Car: 1995 Nissan 240SX SE 2007 Infinit M35 Sport 2011 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition

I have an alternator whine that is due to my amp power wire running next to my RCA wires that run from my cd head unit. Do you have an aftermarket stereo setup?

zoneoneoni
Car: Nissan 240SX SR20DET

I love how there isn't one thread on Nico where someone gets pissed off and starts to get mad about literally nothing. Just chill out, if you know you're right and if he figures out that you're correct, no reason to get pissed right? Man, some people really just have anger issues I guess. Especially the people in this forum.

xweav32
Car: 2011 Nissan Versa S 6spd (daily)
1995 Nissan 240SX SR20DET 5spd (fun car)

here is my 2c. i had the same whine. exactly like yours and i also had a whirring noise with the car in neutral and clutch out. well i replaced the clutch(i am a certified nissan tech btw)t/o and pressure plate. noise was still there. a week later the trans blew. it turns out i snapped the input shaft of the transmission. if you wana get really technical i sheared the connecting gear from the cluster shaft. this gear connects the cluster shaft to the main shaft. the car would only move in 4th btw.

keynotes: i had same noise, replaced clutch. noise still ther. blew up trans.

blacksrjdm

xweav32 wrote:here is my 2c. i had the same whine. exactly like yours and i also had a whirring noise with the car in neutral and clutch out. well i replaced the clutch(i am a certified nissan tech btw)t/o and pressure plate. noise was still there. a week later the trans blew. it turns out i snapped the input shaft of the transmission. if you wana get really technical i sheared the connecting gear from the cluster shaft. this gear connects the cluster shaft to the main shaft. the car would only move in 4th btw.

keynotes: i had same noise, replaced clutch. noise still ther. blew up trans.
Damn that sux, thats what I'm worried about for the OP. Theres a small chance that input shaft bearing is bad and that would lead to a broken or sheared shaft. I sheared the output shaft perfectly clean, but unfortunately I didnt have any symptoms prior to the break.

blacksrjdm

Double post...woops.

E7-S14

xweav32 wrote:here is my 2c. i had the same whine. exactly like yours and i also had a whirring noise with the car in neutral and clutch out. well i replaced the clutch(i am a certified nissan tech btw)t/o and pressure plate. noise was still there. a week later the trans blew. it turns out i snapped the input shaft of the transmission. if you wana get really technical i sheared the connecting gear from the cluster shaft. this gear connects the cluster shaft to the main shaft. the car would only move in 4th btw.

keynotes: i had same noise, replaced clutch. noise still there. blew up trans.
well i replaced my tranny and t/o bearing and the noise is still there.

i hope to god i didn't blow F*** up my tranny...

i dont have an aftermarket stereo setup but my stereo wiring is hacked upthe previous owner did a shi**y job on it and i still cant find where the wires go to connect the rear speakers.they stop somewhere.

the motor and trans has about 60k on it so if i broke it now that would be a *****.

xweav32when yours was making a noise did the car feel sluggish any?

it doesn't make any whirring noises and only makes the noise when the clutch is out.NOT in neutral

xweav32

yea i did but i really didnt notice it until i swapped trannys. mine sounded like a straight cut gearbox. like the sound your car makes in reverse.

E7-S14

well damif this is it.. then im most certainly F*cked.

i just bought a dam kazz 2way..so no money for a transmission.f*ck!

its not as bad as when my cars in reverse tho.its no where near that loud

aw dami might as well beat on it till it breakstheirs a gymkhana event coming up soon.im enteringif it breaks it breaks.

i just hope that's not what it is.im gonna let some of my friends drive to see if they can tell.

xweav32

well sorry to say mine wasnt that loud either it just made the same noise

Space Monkey

Arn't trannies at the junker really cheap? like under $100? Usually only about 500 to get it rebuilt if you take it out yourself and deliver it to the shop?

E7-S14

Space Monkey wrote:Arn't trannies at the junker really cheap? like under $100? Usually only about 500 to get it rebuilt if you take it out yourself and deliver it to the shop?
its a SR trans behind a SR motor

xweav32

the sr and ka trannies are the same. they just have diff bellhousings

E7-S14

xweav32 wrote:the sr and ka trannies are the same. they just have diff bellhousings
yeah i know.i think i just have to find a 95-96 KA trans since the SR trans is a 96 trans and motor..

eh..we'll see how things turnout.thanks for all the help guys

Return to “240sx General Discussion”