Turbo product list

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
GriffinW
Car: 1991 S13 KA-T

So im planning on boosting my Max and im not sure where to start. Im going to buy the parts gradually over time. I need to know the dimensions of parts that would fit, tube sizes etc. any one who has a boosted max if you could let me know what turbo, diameter feed pipe, waste gasket, blow of valve, down pipe and anything else.

Im new to forced induction and have a basic understanding of it but any one who could shine a light on the situation would be helpful. One of my big questions is where does the turbo mount?

I do have an automatic so i know im going to need a VB mod and transmission cooler.

thanks guys for any help or suggestions.
Modified by GriffinW at 7:14 PM 9/21/2006

Beancooker
Car: Current Car: 2019 Toyota Tacoma (modded)
Past cars: Way too many to list

You may try emailing this guy, Hal, if you're serious and are ready to buy parts. [email protected] He is friendly, and had a turbo'd maxima that pushed 500+ HP and 600+ FT/LB TQ. on all stock internals and injectors. He can definitly lead you in the right direction. The turbo mounts to your up-pipe from the exhaust manifolds. Both manifolds (headers) feed into a collector then into 1 pipe that sticks up for the turbo to rest on.As far as trannys, for that much HP and $$$ invested, look at level 10's "bulletproof tranny". It's the last one on the page that says "call for price" http://www.levelten.com/store/...n.htm Hope all this helps!

GriffinW

beancooker wrote:You may try emailing this guy, Hal, if you're serious and are ready to buy parts. [email protected] He is friendly, and had a turbo'd maxima that pushed 500+ HP and 600+ FT/LB TQ. on all stock internals and injectors. He can definitly lead you in the right direction. The turbo mounts to your up-pipe from the exhaust manifolds. Both manifolds (headers) feed into a collector then into 1 pipe that sticks up for the turbo to rest on.As far as trannys, for that much HP and $$$ invested, look at level 10's "bulletproof tranny". It's the last one on the page that says "call for price" http://www.levelten.com/store/...n.htm Hope all this helps!
Thanks, I sent him an email and i am waiting on a reply.

Im only planning on about 8 pounds of boost because if i went any higher i would need forged pistons and rods and that is more money i dont have right now. Are those torque converters on that site what are going to save my automatic from getting destroyed?

Beancooker

No, the TQ only converts the torque from the engine to the axles. The weak points in the tranny are; you can shear teeth off the gears, valve body springs, etc. When you bulletproof your tranny, you start with the weakest point and strengthen it. Example; adding hardened steel gears, to keep from shearing off teeth/splines.

GriffinW

The Torque converter is 598 and the bulletproof transmission is 3300. im already going to spend labout 4000 on parts for the turbo so im not going to be able to get a whole new tranny. the website has 2 kits that have transmission parts in them, if i got one of those kits would those parts make my tranny able to withstand the force from the turbo?

Beancooker

It would probably help, they need your valve body to be sent to them, in order for them to do the service.

GriffinW

I did some more research and I read that if you only run about 6-8 pounds of boost, you dont really need an intercooler, is this true?

Beancooker

If you don't intercool your intake air it will be very hot air. you can also look at water injection, no need for intercooler and piping. However this won't cool the air, it just prevents detonation. Hopefully this is some food for thought. Personally, when I finally do boost my Max, I'll use an intercooler. Checkout these links:

http://www.rallycars.com/Cars/WaterInjection.html

http://www.racetep.com/wik.html

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/waterinjection.html

http://www.dawesdevices.com/water.html

http://www.google.com/search?h...earch

GriffinW

thanks for the links, i will take water injection into consideration. I will probably end up intercooling though. does anyone sell pipes already bent for the maxima?

Let me make sure i've got the layout of the turbb system correct... a pipe connects the exhaust manifold to the turbo which has a blow off valve on it, then the exhaust spins one turbine wheel connected to another turbine wheel that then forces air in through the intake and out through an intercooler then back into the engine.

**edit- I came across the cryogenic air cooling system on custom enterprise. could this be used in place of the intercooler?

sorry if any of this is hard to comprehend im at school and not supposed to be online so im somewhat pressed for time. What can I say, Im addicted to my Maxima.
Modified by GriffinW at 3:19 PM 9/25/2006

Beancooker

The cryo system sounds good, but I don't think it's not going to cool down turbo'd air enough, unless you get the intercooler kit, but then you need an intercooler. Ok, how a turbo works; exhaust comes from the manifold and into an up-pipe. The turbo is mounted to the up -pipe. the exhaust goes into the turbine and spins it. The turbine is connected to the compressor. After the exhaust spins the turbine, it is exhausted out the down-pipe. The turbine now has the compressor (another turbine seperated from the exhaust) spinning. The spinning compressor turbine draws in air, and compresses it. This is where your air heats up. Since the exhaust turbine and compressor turbine are connected by a shaft and only a plate of metal seperates them the whole turbo itself gets hot. You have a wastegate connected to the turbo and that is where you control boost. If you have too much boost, the wastegate opens and releases some of the exhaust to control boost. The compressed air is now being put into the start of the I/C piping. it passes thru the I/C and is now cooler, or cold. Just before the air goes into the MAF (mass airflow sensor) it gets to the BOV. Only at a sudden throttle lift does the BOV open, sending compressed air into the atmosphere. That way you are not cramming compressed air into an engine that is slowing down rapidly. At this point the air goes into the MAF and TB and you know how it works from there. Don't sweat the fact you're at school. At least your not looking at pron, which is what schools usually have problems with.As far as piping, look here; http://www.turbo-kits.com/maxima_turbo_kits.html Here's a picture of a turbo to help explain my words;

GriffinW

Thanks for all the info, I can't stress how helpful you've been. One thing im still curious about is where does to down pipe go? Is it connected back to the exhaust system somehow or does it just act as a small exhaust system for the turbo?

Beancooker

The down-pipe is the start of your cars exhaust system. ALL of your engines exhaust goes thru the turbo (that which the wastegate doesn't dump out). The "small exhaust system" you may be thinking of (guessing you've seen pics in Super Street; Import Tuner) is probably the wastegate dump. Depending on where you live (emissions testing) you can dump the exhaust from the wastegate into the open atmosphere. EPA frowns on that stuff. If you have emissions testing you have to dump into your exhaust system , or recycle the exhaust for the turbo to use again. (not sure how that works, and I gotta leave for work. If I have a few min. today at work, I'll check in on this thread. Oh, I am really glad to help, I'm planning on T/C'ing my max by spring, so all this benefits me too!

GriffinW

Ok the whole t/c system makes perfect sense to me now. Im guessing that there is a company that fabricates an up-pipe to connect to the headers? Can the downpipe be mounted directly into the existing Y-pipe? I dont think this is possible because the Y-pipe has two inlets, one for each header, and the downpipe is a single pipe.I was planning on buying an aftermarket Y-pipe within the next couple days but if im going to be ordering something that replaces the Y-pipe, im not going to waste my money.

The turbo-kits.com website has pipes but im going to be ordering things piece by piece so i need to find somewhere that sells the piping by itself, or somewhere that i can send the dimensions and angle measures of the bends for the pipes i need and then have them fabricate the piping.

Beancooker

You can order piece-by-piece from turbokits.com. Read their FAQ's. The up-pipe replaces the Y-pipe and if you're really going forward with this, don't order the Y-pipe. As you said, you can't re-use the Y-pipe. You will however, want to start saving $$$ for a complete exhaust system. You'll want to run a 3" pipe from the turbo back. Backpressure on a turbo slows it down and can lag it. That also includes a 3" cat and muffler. Buying the up-pipe from someone who makes them specifically for your application is the way to go. Having someone fabricate one for you is way too time consuming and expensive. I used to be a metal fabricator (when I lived in Tx.) and it is not something I would attempt. Too many angles and necessary placement of the turbo for everything to function correctly.

GriffinW

Oh thanks i didnt realize you could order piece by piece. Im really serious about t/c my max so i wont get the Y-pipe. I figure ill buy all the parts that are necesary to run a turbo on my engine first, like the 3 inch cat and cat-back, tranny cooler, oil cooler and whatever else is necessary. Where can i get some pricing on the VB mod? Ill have about 400 to spend on parts in the next week. Any recomendations on what to start off with?

On the electronics side of t/c system, what is the difference between a Greddy Emanage and a Turbo Timer? im a bit comfused about the turbo timer, ecu, FMU etc.

One more question. If i get a Z32 MAF right now, will my car have any problems with it (not being turbo charged)?

**edit- I had a thought today, instead of having madrel bent piping, could you just use pieces of straight piping with thick ruber/ plastic connecting the two pieces of straight pipe at the bend.It would be flexible and it would be a lot cheaper than buying bent pipe. My friend works for a company that uses big trucks and thats how their piping is done on the trucks with turbos.
Modified by GriffinW at 8:19 PM 9/27/2006

Beancooker

What's wrong with your stock MAF? Why the change? I'm a little confused about the electronics also. I went to Tino's shop (Import Customs) who specializes in Nissans and turbos and he said to stay away from Emanage. He recommended a fuel air controller but I can't remember which one. VB mod. find a local tranny shop you trust. Ok, I can't find the name of the company, but email maxhopper, he knows who to get the parts from. They are in NY state somewhere.You could go with something other than mandrel bent (plastic, but the more hose clamps, the more places for leaks. BTW, you don't have to use mandrel bent for the I/C piping. You can use crush bent, it'll save you a little bit. I believe the tractors (semi trucks) you speak of are only running about 6-8 pounds of boost. But that's a guess. A little bit of air goes a long way in a diesel engine. They already have a really high compression ratio.

GriffinW

Well I've read that sometimes when you boost a maxima, the MAF can "max" out causing the engine to stall. They reccomend getting the Z32 MAF.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=327382

do control F and type in Z32, i think its the second match but I have to go to school for now ill post more later.

maxhopper
Car: 02 Maxima SE 6spd

beancooker wrote:VB mod. find a local tranny shop you trust. Ok, I can't find the name of the company, but email maxhopper, he knows who to get the parts from. They are in NY state somewhere.
http://www.maximumtuning.net/

Beancooker

Thanks, Scott!!!

GriffinW

Thanks for the link. I might have some sort of tranny mod already. The guy i bought the car from said he had done some Transmission work on it before he gave it to me, If im correct the VB mod takes away the smooth transition between gears, right? Well my car can almost squeak the tires from 1st to second gear and its basically stock.

In case anyone was wondering, Turbo-kits price for a downpipe is $329 and $350 for their universal intercooler kit.

Modified by GriffinW at 10:19 PM 9/28/2006
Modified by GriffinW at 10:20 PM 9/28/2006

GriffinW

Did the thread die out?

What else is out there for piggy back systems other than the Greddy E-manage. Iv'e heard mixed reviews about it so im not so sure about it with this being my first turbo install.

If I get a boost controller, turbo timer, and EMU, is that all I need to run a turbo on the stock Engine and ECU safely, or atleast for a few months? On the boost controller, there are two prongs that stick out, what hoses plug into these prongs? What is a FMU and is it necesary?
Modified by GriffinW at 9:44 PM 10/1/2006

Beancooker

Apexi SAFC. But from what I've been understanding, it will allow the vehicle to stall at a red light, or any stop after boost. I normally NEVER link to this site, but for turboing a Maxima, they've got some good info. Read all the "stickies". Here is the most informational stickie: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=327382

GriffinW

That link is great, thanks.

If I get a boost controller, turbo timer, and EMU, is that all I need to run a turbo on the stock Engine and ECU safely, or atleast for a few months? On the boost controller, there are two prongs that stick out, what hoses plug into these prongs? What is a FMU and is it necesary? im not so sure about all the lines that are ran to various parts of a turbo. I know there are oil lines but what elses needs to be ran?

Beancooker

Sorry I've not gotten back to you yet. Way busy, will research and see what I can find. Try going to google and searching some. That's where I get most of my info, or use the search option here. Check out the 240 forum, they can answer a lot of turbo questions. Also you know that to do this properly, it'll be upside of maybe $4k. Good luck, and I'll see what info I can find you.

Beancooker

Bumped for DJNikos. Hope this helps!

DjNikos
Car: Nissan Maxima 2000

this is a tromendous help man. I appreciate it alot. Theres still alot to research but this really addresses most of the issues. thanks

Beancooker

Anytime

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”