trunk release inside the rogue?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
jmol

I have the premium package on the SL AWD rogue and I'm trying to locate a trunk release. I've come to the conclusion that there is none! I know anyone can open it from the back but I'm looking to open it from inside the car. Does anyone know if there is a trunk release lever/button inside the rogue?

lozen13

nope no release

Pescakl1
Car: 2008 Iridium Graphite SL FWD Rogue

Yes, there is. Here what I wrote about it in another forum:

Quote »I was checking the owner manual for something else and find something about the lift gate release (in case of a discharged battery).

It is page 3-21 of the owner manual.[/quote]You have to remove a small panel and then you have access to the lift gate release mechanism.

philipa_240sx

Yes, that's the emergency release. Not very practical for everyday use.

The rear hatch on the Rogue behaves like a conventional car door, not a trunk. A remote release is not very useful as the hatch will not lift up by itself like a normal trunk lid would.

Now, if it had a powered hatch/liftgate, then I could understand. But the likelihood of this feature ever being incorporated into a Rogue is nil.

Robteesit
Car: 2009 Rogue SL AWD

Has anyone tried to install an aftermarket truck release in the Rogue yet? If you could get it on the key fob that would be even better.

takeshi
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

I'm not sure I see any real benefit. The lift gate isn't powered so you'd have to lift it via the handle which is exactly where the external release is anyway...

philipa_240sx

takeshi wrote:The lift gate isn't powered so you'd have to lift it via the handle which is exactly where the external release is anyway...
Very good point. If you simply push the button without lifting the hatch, many times it will stay latched from the weight of the hatch. To get this to work, you would have to add some sort of helper springs or a powered assist to lift the hatch upwards to keep it open.

A powered hatch brings up another point: without the built in auto-reversing found on OEM powered assisted hatches, you could do some serious damage or injure someone.

Robteesit
Car: 2009 Rogue SL AWD

Sorry I have to disagree with your thinking but I have the remote on my other car and it does not have a power lift hatch. It simiple unlocks the lack where you can manual raise the hatch - comes in handy when loading grocery in the pickup lane, you don't have to get out of the car to open the hatch when the bag boy is waiting to load you and there are a line of cars behind you. Or at the club house when droping off your golf clubs? What really makes the remote release is having a button on the key fob,when carrying a bunch of bags and walking to the car in the rain, is you can unlock the hatch and your young'ens don't have to stand in the rain waiting for the old man to get to the car. Belive me guys if you ever had it on other cars you would think it is something that should be standard on every car.

cdmuile
Car: Nissan Rogue, Scion tC RS4.0

+1 to that post. It's a really handy feature.

philipa_240sx

I have never encountered those issues. Then again I do not have kids, play golf, or anything like that... so I never came across these issues.

Anyway, a power release that will 'pop' the hatch would be nice, but it's not simple to integrate this feature into the fob. The keyless entry cannot be reprogrammed with another button nor can it be swapped with another Nissan fob that has a trunk release. This is because the door lock/unlock and other features is part of the BCM (body control module) and not the fob. The BCM cannot be reprogrammed or swapped as it's specific to each model. The only option is to somehow replace the fob with an aftermarket system.

A simple inside push button release is a real possibility. Simply wire another switch in parallel with the exterior door mounted one. You will also need to add a spring of sorts to 'pop' the hatch a couple of inches to prevent it from re-latching. I believe something like this can be found from the mfg's that make remote release doors for the 'shaved' door handles used on some show cars. They use some sort of spring system to pop the door open a couple of inches to facilitate opening.

Leo2005

philipa_240sx wrote:A simple inside push button release is a real possibility. Simply wire another switch in parallel with the exterior door mounted one. You will also need to add a spring of sorts to 'pop' the hatch a couple of inches to prevent it from re-latching.
Just a button in parallel...that's an idea. I'll install a new hatch this weekend and might do it at the same time. Now I have to think where should I locate the button so it won't push by accident when the trunk is full.

philipa_240sx

Before you get too excited, try this:

Activate the release button on the hatch without lifting. The hatch will unlock but the secondary safety latch will prevent the hatch from opening freely. You need something to push the hatch open about 1" to clear the catch.

sprocket

Robteesit wrote:It simiple unlocks the lack where you can manual raise the hatch - comes in handy when loading grocery in the pickup lane, you don't have to get out of the car to open the hatch when the bag boy is waiting to load you and there are a line of cars behind you
Umm, if you have all the doors unlocked which you can do from the switch on your driver power window switch finisher, why couldn't the bag boy just open it himself (just tell him to push the trunk release button)?

I will have to check this myself.

Elton Noway
Car: 2009 Rogue SL FWD Phantom White Black Cloth

sprocket wrote:
Umm, if you have all the doors unlocked which you can do from the switch on your driver power window switch finisher, why couldn't the bag boy just open it himself (just tell him to push the trunk release button)?
You beat me to it!

Yep... I thought the same thing and actually tested it over the weekend. I got inside the car and locked all the doors. Then with my wife standing behind the car (pretending to be a bag boy) I hit the unlock button on the driver side door panel and bingo... she was able to open the hatch. No need for me to exit the car.

Return to “Rogue Forum”