Transmission strength

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
formula94lt1

I am considering the vgXXe as a mid engined project, but wanted to clarify my options for a transmission that would readily work. Obviously the FWD maxima came to mind and I was curious what this transmission has been known to handle. Or if there are other manual FWD transmissions that would work?

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

All FWD Nissans in the 90s used basically the same 5 speed manual. The Maxima got the stronger version, though, along with the Altima/Stanza and a few other cars. So there aren't any good alternatives without resorting to adapter plates ant the like. But that's not really a big deal; the stock manual trans should stand up to anything even a built VG can throw at it. The auto is weak, though.

One thing worth noting, though, is that that manual (the RS5F50a/v) comes in both open and viscous limited slip models. The open is the RS5F50A, and the LSD is RS5F50V.

Torgus
Car: Nissan Maxima

why not use a vq30? cheaper to build imo.

oh and i have a spare 5spd lsd tranny lieing around from my 92 max. brand new rebuilt, never used. let me know if you wants.
formula94lt1 wrote:I am considering the vgXXe as a mid engined project, but wanted to clarify my options for a transmission that would readily work. Obviously the FWD maxima came to mind and I was curious what this transmission has been known to handle. Or if there are other manual FWD transmissions that would work?

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”