transmission problem on my 91 maxima

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
singlemom

Hi everyone I'm singlemom just got my car 5mon ago the guy who sold it to me said he had the trans rebuilt and that it had a 25,000 mile warr, any way my problem is its slipping and i brought it back to the trans guy,he said he won't warr it cuz,on the orignal sales slip they recomended the axles need to be re- placed and this is what made the trans fail dose this sound true? please help me this all i have and i don't have the money to fix all of this!!!!

thanks to all here

singlemom

Beancooker
Car: Current Car: 2019 Toyota Tacoma (modded)
Past cars: Way too many to list

I don't believe that bad axles would cause a tranny to fail. Not saying that it couldn't happen, but sounds unlikely. If they were bad, it may cause slipping (when the splines don't catch). That could cause the internal splines to wear, but should not need a full overhaul.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Agreed.

Please don't tell us you took it to Cottman Transmissions?

Let's hear what shop said this and see if we can help you get your warranty honored.

internetautomart
Car: more than you!
currently 94 u13 (electrical gremlin), 97 u13 (incoming)

Axles will NEVER cause a trans to slip.They may damage the differential, if the wrong ones are used, but NEVER will they cause the trans to slip.

Transmission slippage is caused by friction surfaces internal to the trans being glazed or worn beyond limits.

Tell them they either warranty it or you get the Attorney general on them plus your own lawyer and they WILL be held financially responsible for the rental car you will need while in court and the cost of the teardown to find the problem, and whatever the next shop charges to have it rebuilt since they obviously do not stand behind their work.

You'd be amazed at how quickly they move

nitink
Car: 95 maxima GLE, 95 volvo 850

Tranmission will slip due to excessive heat or insufficient oil pressure or worn gears.

Most of the time rebuilt convers only non metal parts, so I guess gears were never changed and for 16 yrs old car no wonder they wear out.

You can still try for heating & oil pressure

0) Check tranny oil if its not black try following1) put in a bottle of seafoam transtune and drive around a bit 2) flush transmission and change filter & gasket (flush first & than change filter & gasket that will bring crap out of torque convertor, use penzoil or castrol tranny oil , they are thicker and hold better in heat than chevron)4) test drive and if it does not slip for say first 10 minutes and then start to slip heat is causing slip3) Put a bottle of lucas tranny fix4) Put in an external tranny cooler (buy something on ebay for 20-25 bucks)

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”