Transmission problem during cold weather...

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
keleko17
Car: 1996 Nissan Pathfinder, XE

My 96 XE, auto transmission, is having trouble with this winter. The truck will not shift into drive or reverse without stalling out. In the morning, or after about 3 hours of being left in the cold, after I start it will run just fine, but then when I shift into drive it stalls out, or just dies.

It almost acts like there is something frozen, and it shuts down to prevent damage. When it does finally engage into drive, and I drive off, it seems like the transmission slips a little.

Once it warms up there is no problem or evidence of the situation...

I have checked the transmission fluid, it is at an acceptable level, and it doesn't smell bad. I can't help but think that it is a fluid. My dad seems to think that it is a sticky choke or something, but I don't even know where to look for something like that.

Please help!

timmack
Car: 2002 Beige Pathfinder SE

a dirty filter can cause cold(thick) oil not to flow, when the car is cold the fluid might be too thick to pass through the filter properly.

02pathy

try flushing it and using synthetic oil as it warms up faster than the regurlar thicker stuff

VladCZ
Car: Chevy Nova

Here's another auto transmission problem I have on 2000 Path SE:

Getting the kick when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear - doesn't matter warm or cold tranny

While cold, looks like the torque converter won't lock. It takes about 10 minute driving before it finally "kicks in" and locks and my RPM lower. Of course, I can see that on increased gas consumption too.Dealer checked with the computer, no codes, shows that everything works just fine. I asked if it is possible that there is some mechanical damage to the converter that computer wouldn't sense and mechanic disagreed. Told me he have nowhere to start to pinpoint the problem if computer doesn't read anything....

Any suggestions? I had done flush and change of the oil - no changes. Truck has only 100K kilometers or about 60K miles.

Densetsu
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Chinook
Prev: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder Chilkoot

I changed my tranny fluid and filter a few months ago and overfilled it a bit. Maybe a quarter-inch over the max line on the dipstick, I thought it was pretty insignificant. After that change, though, I noticed that once every few weeks the OD took a few minutes to engage. I'm within spitting distance of the highway, so usually everything is still cold when I get on it. Now that it's getting warmer outside, I might be convinced to drain a bit out.

This is probably the first thing that you and/or the mechanic checked, but high or low tranny fluid levels can cause shifting problems.

hospitalbuilder
Car: 1999 Infiniti QX4

Maybe it's the engine rather than the tranny? I had a rough idle and I replaced the fuel and air filter and cleaned the MAF (you should get a spray can from the auto parts store specifically for this), and that has solved my issues, going on three weeks now. I did all three at once, so I cannot say which one was the culprit. All three are fairly easy DIY's, but the fuel filter can be a wrestling match. I think that the parts and spray all in all cost me less than $30. They are routine maintenance so, it's probably not a bad idea to do it regardless. Good luck.

VladCZ

Yeah, I was reading somewhere here about the fluid level potential problems but, unfortunately, it's not an issue in my case. I was reading some posts that possible MAF sensor cleaning helped somebody to fix transmission issues, so I go try that too. Another post commented that 2000 models take longer for overdrive to shift in if cold to protect the engine - the thing is that my overdrive (4 th gear) is shifting - being all 4 gears get in, just the last 4th gear is "slipping" while cold, meaning torque converter doesn't lock up to make it straight gear. First, I thought I have 5 speed tranny and 5th gear won't go in but then I pushed the OD button and it downshifted, so that means it was in the last gear but it won't make it straight until really heated up. Really weird. If this is normal, then I guess my Pathfinder goes for sale :-)

SnowSurfLax
Car: 1999.5 QX4, 2006 M35 Sport

You might also have some issues with our TCU. It's possible.

That is not normal. However, it doesn't sound cheap to fix. I would definitely do a flush and fill and get the transmission fluid filter replaced.

If that clears it up, then I'd also go ahead and flush and fill again 10-15K miles after that to make sure you got any and all sludge free from the tranny.

VladCZ

Hi SnowSurf, I did flush and oil change already but no change whatsoever. About the TCU - mechanic said there's none on my model, he said 2001 and 2002 had them already, but not me :-(So, yeah, sounds interesting and possibly expensive .... well, I'll keep searching and will post if will find anything. Thanks for replies guys.

JonathanPrem
Car: 02 Nissan pathfinder 4WD SE

I've got similar problem on my pathy to. My torque convert doesn't look-up at 100. I also changed transmission oil,filter and did flush. But it still didn't change it. I also changed fuel filter,clean throttle body and the MAF senor but still no change.

SnowSurfLax
Car: 1999.5 QX4, 2006 M35 Sport

I think you need a new mechanic.

There definitely is one, properly called the TCM. There's multiple ways of pulling codes. Look for the FSM on here and it can tell you how to run the self diagnostic.

VladCZ

SnowSurf: yeah, that's what I was thinking about today. I'm going at different Nissan dealer on weekend to see if I can get anything solved there.

Jonathan: does it happening while cold?? On my Path, it takes about 8 minutes driving from cold (doesn't matter street or highway - still appx. 5-10 min) before converter starts locking. It almost makes me think there must be some temperature sensor telling transmission that engine's not warm enough yet so converter shouldn't lock yet :-)

I'll keep you posted what I'll find out at the other dealership. Hopefully I'll get hold of some knowledgeable mechanic.
Modified by VladCZ at 8:40 PM 3/18/2009

VladCZ

OK, so as I promised, I'm posting results of my visit at different Nissan dealer this weekend trying to solve the problem. Unfortunately, no positive results :-( SnowSurf was right (maybe I misunderstood mechanic in previous dealership) TCM is there but shows no codes of any problems. I've been told that TCM might have effect on torque converter not locking while cold (but not likely since it shows no codes) or there might be some mechanical issue inside of the converter or transmission but there's no way to determine unless transmission is open. To rebuild tranny cost little over $3.000 CAD :-)I still didn't try clean that MAF sensor (fuel filter is new) so I'll go ahead and do that but doubt it will have any effect on my problem.

One thing I noticed in last few days is that with the weather warming up it takes shorter distance to drive before converter starts locking up. So I'm right about link of the problem to the temperature of engine or transmission. IMHO there can be some temperature sensor feeding TCM with info and it might be out of correct setting but not faulty so it doesn't feed TCM with any fault codes. Or - torque converter is just simply messed up.

Now, when I think about it - I use to have Lincoln Town car that wouldn't shift more than to 2nd gear until engine was heated up significantly. It took it about 5 min driving before it started shifting 3rd and 4th gear (was living in Dallas at that time so it was hot anyway :-)They told me at the shop they have to rebuilt the transmission but it didn't solve the problem at all (just added hard shifting problem). So I brought it back, raised the hell, and it took them couple hours to fix that. Never found out what they did to it but I assume there had to be sticky valves or something since they couldn't remove and put back the tranny so quick. I think they just removed pan and cleaned up or replaced something (possibly the valve assembly......?? )I think I have to find some reliable transmission shop (I know; good luck :-) instead Nissan techs and ask them for opinion.....
Modified by VladCZ at 8:20 PM 3/24/2009

Fisherdude
Car: 1996 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 SE

yeah my car will stall out when the engine is cold unless i have my foot on the gas. the air filter is good and the oil is fresh so i know its not that...my fuel filter i can't figure out how to change and i think that might be the culprit.

leroal
Car: Nissan Pathfinder 1999 R50 Automatic

Hi, did you ever get to solve the problem as mine has now got the same problem.
I have tried the filter and fluid.
When warm as good as gold.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”