Transmission Interchange

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
VillagerStu
Car: 1994 Mercury Villager

Hi, all! I am new to the site and really need some help. I have a 94 Villager (Quest) with a blown automatic transmission. I have been unsucessful in finding a useable replacement here in Winnipeg. Can anyone tell me if a similar year Maxima auto will fit? Thanks!

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Look for any Maxima with the same VG30e engine your Villager uses, and you'll have a perfect match.
Specifically, any 1989-1991 model, or GXE only from 1992-1994. VG30e Maximas have distinctive red valve covers.

The transmission model number you're looking for is RE4FO4A. There is also a "V" variant which has a limited slip differential (RE4FO4V)...but it should still work fine in the Villager, and could be considered an upgrade.

And, in case you're not aware, the Quest and Villager continued on until 2002 with that exact same transmission, so you can always look at later years of Quest/Villager as well.

VillagerStu

Well, thanks. That's way more information than I would have expected. Now I have a much larger playing field, so hopefully some recycler in this city will have what I need. You are the Minister of AWESOME!

VillagerStu

So, most of the recyclers are telling me that the electronics are different from Maxima to Villager/Quest??? B.S. or fact? Thanks.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Actually, it looks like I got a couple wires crossed in my last post. The Maxima years I mentioned actually use a slightly older variant of that transmission (the RE4F02A). So the recyclers are probably right. It might still work, but it won't be a direct replacement...as the recyclers said some sensors would have to be changed out.

I also noticed, looking closely at the specs for the transmissions, that the Maxima version of the RE4F04A has a different final-drive (differential ratio). That would mean some sensors would still be different, but everything should still be compatible (or, at least, you could swap the electronics from your current transmission onto the replacement).

Sorry for the mixup. My thinking got messed up somewhere in there with the reality being that earlier Maximas have the same engine as the Quest, but later ones have the same transmission. Should have checked more closely.

Just to clarify, it is still the RE4F04A you're looking for for your Quest. I just to the Maxima models wrong.

VillagerStu

No problem! Just the last guy I called was kinda snotty, like " I know better than you " so I was a little cheesed with him. I have another guy who says he might have a 97 Villager... I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I'm not holding my breath....

Unafraid

Is it bad form to post like this?
I hope not, I own a 97 quest with a blown engine, and found a possible donor, in a 93 villager, is it an even swap all the way? Same sensors, same harness?
Also, is there a noob section where I can ask questions without an angry overworked moderator banning me? Thanks, I have about five questions that I can't find answers for...

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Welcome to NICO!

Yeah, Villager and Quest were the exact same vehicle, only difference was the badging and tail light housings. You can confirm the trans model in both cars by checking the ID plate on the firewall. It'll have a bunch of info including VIN number, engine code (VG30e) and trans code (should be very similar to the ones we talked about above, like RE4F04A) in addition to paint codes and some other stuff. If the two match, you're set for sure.
The plate look like this (HUGE picture, but the only half-decent one I could find quickly with google). It's the TRANS AXLE line that you're looking for.
http://asavage.dyndns.org/Nissan/Sentra ... ic_20b.jpg
Unafraid wrote:Also, is there a noob section where I can ask questions without an angry overworked moderator banning me? Thanks, I have about five questions that I can't find answers for...
No worries. Feel free to post up in the Quest forum and you should be set. No need to worry about angering the staff...we're here to help. Plus, banning takes more effort than answering your question anyway. :gapteeth:

If you've got more technical questions, you can also try the Online Mechanic section:
nissan-online-mechanic.html

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”