TRANSMISSION FLUID CHANGE GOOD OR BAD IDEA

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
jakobz
Car: m35x

HEY my machine told me that its time for a transmission fluid change my car has 85k miles and drives good the transmission has a slit shift which sometimes don't even

notice. i heard thats its not good changing the transmission fluid. so i want to know if i should do it or not

thanks for your help guys

zerg711

I drain and fill every 30k for all my cars.

My 2001 Honda accord's transmission died due to bad transmission fluid. I vowed never to make that mistake again.

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

A drain and refill is a good idea every 30k miles, with a complete flush at least by 90k miles

lovemycarM35
Car: 2014 Lexus GS 350
With F-Sport Package
Nebula Gray
19" wheels
12.3 inch display
Navigation

Mine was done at 30K and 60k full flush at the dealer im at 68K now my tranny is very smooth..I Can't see why it would be a bad thing to change the fluid

nissan789

we just got one at 117k and don't know whether the previous owner did it or not. Would it be fine to change it if it were the first time ever?

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

Yes it should be. The way transmissions are flushed now days isnt nearly as dangerous or damaging as in the old days.

autoengr
Car: 2008 M35x
2012 G37x sedan

There is a school of thought that if you have waited past the recommended change interval, you should avoid changing the fluid. The anecdotal experience was that after removing the fluid heavy with suspended particles from the friction plates, the transmission would start slipping.

In my opinion using this as a justification to leave old fluid in place is faulty logic - it is like finding that you have high cholesterol and neglecting to change it. Or worse, attempting to change lower it through diet and exercise and then blaming a subsequent heart attack on the change.

The bottom line is that fluid wears out over time and needs to be changed. If it is overdue, it should still be changed. The next question of drain+fill vs flush is separate. I felt better about doing multiple drain+fill routines on my overdue G35. I felt OK having a shop flush my M35x on the regular service schedule.

axefire
Car: 06 M35x
Umbria Grey/Burbon Interior
Navi
Tech

70k on my 06 M35x - I'm going to do a full flush ASAP. Not going to the dealer to do it though, gonna have my shop that changes my oil as I trust them more, been going to them for years, they helped keep my 95 Maxima going to 260k and still going!

Unless anyone says I' crazy for not using the dealer and can explain why?

lovemycarM35
Car: 2014 Lexus GS 350
With F-Sport Package
Nebula Gray
19" wheels
12.3 inch display
Navigation

autoengr wrote:There is a school of thought that if you have waited past the recommended change interval, you should avoid changing the fluid. The anecdotal experience was that after removing the fluid heavy with suspended particles from the friction plates, the transmission would start slipping.

In my opinion using this as a justification to leave old fluid in place is faulty logic - it is like finding that you have high cholesterol and neglecting to change it. Or worse, attempting to change lower it through diet and exercise and then blaming a subsequent heart attack on the change.

The bottom line is that fluid wears out over time and needs to be changed. If it is overdue, it should still be changed. The next question of drain+fill vs flush is separate. I felt better about doing multiple drain+fill routines on my overdue G35. I felt OK having a shop flush my M35x on the regular service schedule.
I couldn't agree more well siad..

zerg711

axefire wrote:70k on my 06 M35x - I'm going to do a full flush ASAP. Not going to the dealer to do it though, gonna have my shop that changes my oil as I trust them more, been going to them for years, they helped keep my 95 Maxima going to 260k and still going!

Unless anyone says I' crazy for not using the dealer and can explain why?
Make sure the non-dealer uses J matic or S matic or you can get screwed.

M35 Sport
Car: Infiniti M35 Sport

I just had my trans drained (not flushed) and refilled by the dealer at 115K miles. I noticed that I could feel the torque conventer locking and unlocking when driving on the highway. Since the drain and refill, things have improved but still are not perfect. I am wondering if I will need another drain and refill in a few months to completely get rid of the jerkyness. (I drive about 30K miles a year)

gavnator
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35X Obsidian Black, Bourbon Interior, Journey, Navigation
2013 Mazda CX9 Grand Touring

I had Infiniti service do flush at 30,000 and will have them do same at 60,000.

06M4.5
Car: 2006 M45

I too will get this done at the dealer and nothing is wrong with my trans. Car now is in the 60k ml

gavnator
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35X Obsidian Black, Bourbon Interior, Journey, Navigation
2013 Mazda CX9 Grand Touring

Flushing at recommended intervals in my opinion is cheap insurance and I agree that just because it hasn't been changed at recommended intervals is no reason NOT to do it.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”