Transmission flare update!!!!! Anyone with tranny issues similar please read!!!

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Joe99qx4

all, I have the 99qx4, with 3.3l, 4wd. What doyuou mean by flare? Mine shifts hard from 1st to second and shifts slow from 2nd to 3rd. Are you experincing the same thing? And did cleaning the MAF fix this?

donald
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4 (RIP, 2011)
2010 Pathfinder LE

Joe99qx4 wrote:all, I have the 99qx4, with 3.3l, 4wd. What doyuou mean by flare? Mine shifts hard from 1st to second and shifts slow from 2nd to 3rd. Are you experincing the same thing? And did cleaning the MAF fix this?
bmlawless described it earlier:
bmlawless wrote:Flare is when the transmission slips just before shifting. If you watch your tach, you'll see your rpm's increase suddenly just before the shift occurs.
I usually see this on the 2-3 shift.

and I need to correct myself in my earlier post - it's not only on morning-startups.
I just noticed it also happens when I get back to my car after my workday.
Just to reiterate - temps where I live are about 48-51'F in the morning, about 51'F when I get off work (around 6-7pm), and the coldest it gets overnight is about 45'F.

I just got this car but 1-2weeks ago, so I don't know how it'll react in the warmer/summer temperatures.

It almost seems (in my novice guessing) as if the tranny fluid is "too cold" and doesn't run through the lines freely enough (ie. too viscous??).

I will do the MAF clean first and drive around
then the fuel filter
then the TPS clean
and finally a tranny fluid exchange.

Joe99qx4

My shifting problems seems to "lighten up" when the engine/transmission warm up. The hard 1 to 2 shift softens up and the flared 2 to 3 shift seems to be quicker..so does this mean that the oil warming up is causing the shift to get better. OR could it be that the oil temperature sends a signal to the TCM and then the TCM controls the pressures inside the transmission differently, which causes the shift to change? Were are all the tranny experts at???

I have changed my fluid twice, with no help, but I never changed the filter. I'm thinking if the filter is somewhat clogged, the pressure to the hydralic lines inside the tranny would be less and maybe this would cause some weird shifting behaviors.

donald
2010 Pathfinder LE

Joe you can try to drop your tranny pan and take a look at the filter if you're so inclined?

Here's the HowTo:
how-to-change-transmission-oil-filter-p ... 66068.html

I believe Infiniti/Nissan knows about it (ie. they have TSB's) but haven't submitted any official resolution for it.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/probl ... pe=VEHICLE

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/probl ... pe=VEHICLE

I believe all the TSB does is just say that the manufacturer acknowledges the issue, but not sure what is causing it - i think...

SOUTHSHOREQX4
Car: 2002 QX4

I've had this problem since I've owned my truck. It only happens at first start up for me. 2-3 gear flares up pass 3000 rpm or even more depending on the throttle. After a few stoplights and when the transmisson warms up the flaring goes away. I think it is what it is. Other trucks I've also did similar things like the OD not kicking in right away. My dodge ram on cold mornings the OD wouldn't kick in until 10 mins after I've been driving on the hwy. I know its a stupid analogy but you wouldn't complain that the heater blows cold air when u start you car in morning, obviously it has to "warm up" to come to its operating temperature. Same with the transmission.

Wkz1gg0a
Car: 99.5 Nissan Pathfinder SE limited edition

My Tranny holds my Rpms between shifts once in a blue idk if it me gassing to much or what sorry for posting on a thread from 08

donald
2010 Pathfinder LE

don't worry about posting on this 2008 thread - just go by the latest post is what I say.
If you track this thread back up - I'm the one that dug this thread out of it's 2year hibernation from 2009 :chuckle:

Anyway - there seems to be 2 different interpretations to the "flare".
[*] I think some folks that experience/think of the "flare" to being related to the engine itself revving (surge?), but the transmission is still in gear. This surge seems to happen regardless of engine/tranny temperature.
[*] Then there are the folks like me that experience/think of the "flare" as being related to the transmission not "catching" into gear and thus allowing the engine to rev (aka flare). This flare usually goes away after the drivetrain (engine and/or tranny) has warmed up

In the former, i think that's related to the MAF clean, fuel filter. I've done the MAF clean and have had no results. :tisk:
In the latter, I think there's something funky going on - but there are members/owners who say they've had the issue since 1st purchase and they're still fine; they just give it some time to warm up before getting on the gas.

01qx4bad
Car: 2001 infiniti QX4

Hi new to this board,new to owning infiniti.Have a 2001 infiniti Qx4 with 130k on the odo.I'm the second owner and I noticed this flare shift from 2 to 3 in low speed conditions,but in a parking lot, going less than 20 kph (canadian vehicle) in first gear at 1500rpm the engine bucks(kind of missing feeling)before shifting into second gear.When driving on the street stop light to stop light no problems because I'm over the 1500 rpm.Bought this vehicle because 1st owner hated this problem and the dealer could not fix it,lots of new parts,tps,trans service with new screen and soleniod packs,complete tune up,no coils,and no codes are given,other wise this truck runs awsome.Anyone have this same problem before?

JunkIt
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4X4

Hey all - I think that I'm having the same problem with my 2001 Pathfinder (187K miles): when getting onto the highway, the engine will tend to rev up to 4000 rpm (or higher) when I put the pedal down regardless of whether or not the engine is cold. It gets no power and seems like it's skipping a gear. Here's what I've done so far:
- cleaned the MAF (it wasn't dirty)
- changed the fuel filter
- changed the spark plugs
- changed the air filter
- put sea foam in the gas tank (haven't had the nuts to put it into my air intake)
- completed a full tranny service with synthetic fluid (can't remember which one though)

I'm going to clean the throttle body tomorrow but if that doesn't do it, I'm running out of ideas. If anyone has any experience with this, please let me know.

Thanks!

TheReplay

01qx4bad wrote:Hi new to this board,new to owning infiniti.Have a 2001 infiniti Qx4 with 130k on the odo.I'm the second owner and I noticed this flare shift from 2 to 3 in low speed conditions,but in a parking lot, going less than 20 kph (canadian vehicle) in first gear at 1500rpm the engine bucks(kind of missing feeling)before shifting into second gear.When driving on the street stop light to stop light no problems because I'm over the 1500 rpm.Bought this vehicle because 1st owner hated this problem and the dealer could not fix it,lots of new parts,tps,trans service with new screen and soleniod packs,complete tune up,no coils,and no codes are given,other wise this truck runs awsome.Anyone have this same problem before?
I have your same problem... it happens often, but not always.... The vehicle doesnt "bang" into second gear with noises or clunks or anything like that... it sort of lurches forward aggressively, kind of like a manual transmission would do if you rev too high during the shift. Only does it from 1-2, and again it only does it at low RPMs/speeds, and even again it doesnt happen on every low RPM 1-2 shift, but it does happen often.

I was hopeful a new/used TCM would solve the problem, but that didnt help at all. I was also hopeful a new MAF might help the problem, and it seemed like it did for my first drive after changing, but it came back shortly after so i attribute the first nice drive to luck and wishful thinking. Changing spark plugs had no effect. Changing fuel filter had no effect. Changing trans fluid had no effect.

I have not gotten it looked at, mainly because this is just a secondary vehicle for me.

If you happen to find anything out, please post here and let me know.

jkonugres
Car: Nissan Pathfinder 2001

I own a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder and I have been experiencing "flare"........what can I do to get it fixed?

donald
2010 Pathfinder LE

Hmm... I still get the flare.

So far from from search for answers I've come to 2 options:
1. take it to a "reputable" or "reliable" Infiniti/Nissan dealership and tell them the problem. Hopefully they don't try to blow you off. Usually, Infiniti won't work on Pathfinders, and Nissan won't work on Qx4, but who knows - maybe they'll be nice.

2. live with it. After sitting for a significant period of time, take it easy on the gas until "it" warms up and doesn't flare between 2-3 shift.

Currently, I following option#2.

DAiNiUS
Car: 1999.5 Infiniti QX4

I've had this problem ever since I bought my QX4 last August. It does not appear to have gotten worse, but it still troubling. My mechanic said that the transmission might be loosing pressure (I'm not too mechanically inclined so this might be a paraphrase). He also suggested adding some sort of additive that might help, but I've yet to try it.

Do you guys think that this issue is detrimental to the transmission and might end up damaging it, or is it just an annoyance?

donald
2010 Pathfinder LE

I'm no mechanic myself, but when I think about it - something like this can not be healthy for the transmission functionality.

Althought 2 different methods and machines, I compare it to a manual transmission.
Transferring this issue to a MT, it's like revving the engine higher during your shift between 2-3 and then finally letting the gears connect via clutch-release.
To me - this spells more wear/stress on the gears of 2-3.

Which is why I take it easy so as to minimize the allowed "flare" between 2-3 when driving after the truck has been sitting for a while.

As to putting liquid-magic into the transmission - I'm skeptical about it. IMO, addivites or "fix-it" cans address general problems in which it comes in contact with. The flare only occurs on the 2-3 up-shift and no other gear. So I'm not sure what additives can help with that healthy transmission fluid cannot.

I'd say just stay on top of transmission service. As a paranoid motorist, I'm going with a bi-annual (or like someone else suggested a "every 2x oil changes" - which is almost the same depending on how much you drive) tranmission drain and fill routine. Transmissions are the least maintained part on the mechanical side of a car, and has just as many moving parts than the engine, if not more.
Flushes scare me, and I think a gradual "renewal" of fluid is a little easier on such a old engine on my 2001 @ 160k-miles (it's 10years OLD folks!!! and I'm the 3rd owner :S)

Pathfinder3.5
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE Gold

My Tranny Flares on the 2-3 shift but litterally feels like a DSG on the 1-2 shift. It just slams into second. When turning or harder on the throttle it shifts smooth as it should. I've just learned to live with it. Any idea what the rough 1-2 shift would be caused by? Its a 02' LE.

chicoson

FYI additives do not help this. i had a complete trans serivce done at a performance trans shop and they always add lube gaurd (best sh#t to use ever!) and mine still does it when cold. look up lube guard reviews. I still dont know how to resolve this issue. oh well ill keep on granny driving it until it warms up haha.

lokl12

I have this same problem. Mine happens all the time, but is much more pronounced when the 01 pathy is "cold" (regardless of outside temp). I have had the trans flush, and I replaced the MAF. No change. The RPMs jump between 1st and 2nd and 2nd and 3rd. Its terrible.

I am trying to have Nissan Consume Affairs 'help' with the fix. They said there may be financial assistance.

DAiNiUS
Car: 1999.5 Infiniti QX4

What's interesting is that both pre-2001 as well as post-2001 Pathfinders & QX4s have this issue. The engines are different, and I would presume so are the transmissions, right? Do the newer pathys/QX4s have a variation of the older transmission?

Also could you guys post up your millage and if you recall when you started seeing this issue. It would be interesting to see when it starts and how many miles can be racked up before the transmission craps out.

I bought mine with 211k kms/131k mi and still have this issue at 230k kms/143k mi without it having gotten worse.

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

I think all R50s with automatic have the RE4R01A transmission - the same one as most WD21s with auto.

How noticeable is this flaring? I do notice the RPMs rising by some amount from 1 -> 2 shifts once in a while, but everything after that seems normal. My transmission fluid is clean and fresh, and I have an auxiliary 13,000 BTU stacked-plate auxiliary cooler in line with the stock cooler, and a Magnefine in-line filter. Using Valvoline MaxLife ATF (which is synthetic).

Swanicyouth
Car: 2001 Pathfinder Le 4x4 Bayshore Blue

Any update on the shift flare issue? Anyone transmission fail after first noticing; or does it just stay the same ??? Thanks!

ashman2k2
Car: 300zx 2+2 TT

I have a 2001 Infiniti i30t and it has the same flaring between gears...I absolutely hate it. Been driving it for years like this...In the recent years it actually squeals during the flare...What makes sense to me is that the flare is exactly a clutch slipping (not enough pressure/delay in full pressure) and over time it has worn out the clutch material and now squeals during slipping.
Is there seriously no diagnosis? It seems like during these years all Nissan transmission were having issues like this. No TSB?
Sticky valve body? Bad solenoid? or bad trans ecu programming?

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

ashman2k2 wrote:I have a 2001 Infiniti i30t and it has the same flaring between gears...I absolutely hate it. Been driving it for years like this...In the recent years it actually squeals during the flare...What makes sense to me is that the flare is exactly a clutch slipping (not enough pressure/delay in full pressure) and over time it has worn out the clutch material and now squeals during slipping.
Is there seriously no diagnosis? It seems like during these years all Nissan transmission were having issues like this. No TSB?
Sticky valve body? Bad solenoid? or bad trans ecu programming?
There is no similar TSB for Maximas or I30s. One for a harsh 1-2 shift appeared for some reason, but in the TSB it states that it only affects 2003-2004 Maximas (A33 and A34), vehicles built between December 1st, 2002 and August 27th, 2004, and the RE4F04B and RE4F03B transmissions. I don't know why this would appear under a search for 2001 Maxima, but if you'd like to take a look at it you can download it here.

What's the condition and level of the transmission fluid?

1. Drive around for 10 minutes in the city after the transmission is at operating temperature.
2. Park on level surface and apply parking brake.
3. With P selected, shift through every gear and return to P.
4. Pull transmission dipstick with engine idling, wipe clean, reinsert completely, and read level. It must be within the notched areas labeled "HOT". Check for fluid contamination after wiping on a paper towel.

The fluid should be red, and not smell burnt.

bucksluts
Car: 1981 280zx (sold)
2001 Pathfinder

I've had a similar flare issue into second and third on my 01 pathfinder when the truck is cold (below 50F) for nearly 100K (current mileage 191K), but its gone within a few minutes once warmed up. I've changed the fluid a couple times (pan only) but the flare stayed the same.

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

bucksluts wrote:I've had a similar flare issue into second and third on my 01 pathfinder when the truck is cold (below 50F) for nearly 100K (current mileage 191K), but its gone within a few minutes once warmed up. I've changed the fluid a couple times (pan only) but the flare stayed the same.
You can try throwing in a bottle of Lubegard Red; it's well lauded by transmission shops and can help lower transmission temperatures. I'd also suggest the installation of a Magnefine in-line filter (the link says power steering filter, but AFAIK Magnefine's P/S and trans filters are identical) to prolong the fluid and transmission life. What kind of fluid did you use for the drain & fills?

bucksluts
2001 Pathfinder

I'll try that additive next time I drain and fill. So far I've used maxlife atf. If I stay light on the pedal while it's cold the flare is almost eliminated.

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

I didn't like how Maxlife ATF was shifting in my Pathfinder - it seemed too harsh and I had some strange hunting and a rough, nasty feeling bang-shift at moderate/high throttle once in a while (usually after a U-turn). I did a cooler line exchange using 12 quarts of Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle and the shifting has improved. I also run a Magnefine in-line filter and a 10,000 GVW transmission cooler in-line with the stock cooler. How do you feel the Maxlife is shifting in comparison to when you bought your Pathfinder?

bucksluts
2001 Pathfinder

Haven't noticed a change in the shifting with the maxlife drain and fills, granted those result in only a partial fluid change. Had a UOA done with one of drain/fills and it it showed substantially higher metals than compared to those typically seen in a 23K change interval. I couldn't say how many miles my fluid had, but most likely several times more than that (truck had 140K).

Towncivilian
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

If the transmission was not serviced for 140k miles, that would explain the high metal count. An automatic transmission generates 75% of its lifetime wear within the first 10k miles or so, which includes break-in and manufacturing crud. The in-pan filter is more of a rock-catcher than a filter - even the best in-pan filters only filter down 80 microns or so. A Magnefine has filtering media in the vicinity of 35 microns, but the magnet increases the efficiency somewhat because it traps all ferrous material floating around in the fluid.

If you're happy with MaxLife, by all means continue using it. It uses synthetic base stocks and is a reasonably cheap fluid, so that is a bonus. I still highly suggest the Magnefine installation - $20 every 30k miles is a drop in the bucket. See a Magnefine opened that was in-use for 23k miles here.

2537buzz
Car: 2004 nissan pathfinder le platinum

I am new to the forum and to Pathfinders. I just bought an 04 LE Platinum. Mint, one owner, clean car fax and appeared to be well maintained with a lot of maintanance parts replaced. It has 105,000 miles on it. After, we bought it we had the transmission flushed, and a tune up done. I notice that it flares as you put it when it's cold in the mornings. Just in 2nd and 3 rd gears. After driving for a bit, it's fine. Also, if I start it, and put it in neutral and warm it up in neutral, it drives fine. I had read online that someone that had this issues warmed it up in neutral and the issue went away, as long as the car was warmed up in neutral. Now, the shop that did the trans flush, said it's normal for hard gear, or hesitation in gear shifting when it's cold. I've never had an older truck or car, always had new so do not know. This was actually bought for my son who will be driving in April. Thanks for any info. Elaine

2537buzz
Car: 2004 nissan pathfinder le platinum

I have a 2004 pathfinder LE edition. 105,000 miles on it. Had the trans flushed, and rune up , platinum spark plugs. Same issue many are having, after sitting over night and starting out I have the flare between 2nd and 3 rd. but after driving a bot, and it warms up it runs fine. I read online another area, someone else had same issue. They said it stopped, if they the warmed the car up in neutral then drove. It gave the transmission fluid to warm up, thus stopping the hesitation in shifting. I tried it and it worked, but that does not correct the reason it is happening. Just worried, it could be the start of a bad trans, but reading here it just seems to be an issue quite a few have. I would like to add that I do warm my car up in the morning, but in park and that never helped, I still had the hesitation or flaring in 2nd and third gear, until I drove for a few miles. Again, warming it up while in neutral stops the issue. Weird no? I have a friend of my dads, who is a Nissan tech stopping g by in the morning to take take it out cold to see what he thinks the issue is. I will keep you posted. We just bought this for our son, who loved it and will be driving in April. The car is mint, had a clean car fax, one owner, with new $900 tires, exhaust and muffler, struts, breaks, and wheel bearings and some other stuff. Looks off the show room. I think we got a good deal at $8,000? but will be a bit upset if an issue with the trans. Really drives wonderful and smooth if not for this issue with the cold shifts.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”