Transmission Filter & Oil Change Question?

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
NewfoundlandDude
Car: 2001 Nissan Maxima SE - 20th Anniversary Edition

So I bought my 01 Max with 87K km's on it (about 55K Miles). I didn't know the last time that all of the fluids were changed so I went out & bought some Mobil 1 Higher Mileage, Valvoline ATF Transmission Fluid, & some Prestone Coolant.

I changed the oil, including oil filter, replaced the tranny fluid, and replaced the coolant. The stealership told me that they have never replaced the tranny filter, and that there is never a need to do this with the Auto 5th Generation Maxima's.

I've had some problems with my tranny on cold mornings, having some hard shifts and even seeming not to take first gear before it warms up (~1km). Does anyone know more about replacing the transmission filter and transmission oil (Which I didn't know existed, is this the fluid itself?).

Also the Mobil 1 Higher Mileage is a 10W30, which is the same as the conventional 10W30 that the manual recommends. Since the oil change I can definately notice a difference in the sound of my car. Is this something that the oil change might do, or is it not related to that at all?

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”