tranny filter?

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
nismopu
Car: 1987 Nissan 300ZX
1997 Nissan Maxima
1976 Datsun 280Z Turbo

213k on the ol girl and she is starting to show some signs of transmission wear. Its a 97 auto max and a few weeks ago she would barely make it up a very steep grade without shifting down into first. It almost felt like the CV shafts were gonna break it shifted so hard, lol! Anyway, how hard is it to replace the tranny filter? It only shifts hard like that on hills but around town its fairly normal, so I figured its the tranny filter. lemme know what you guys think. peace.

lightsout
Car: 00 Nismo Maxima SE

the tranny filter is a pain in the a$$ i hear. I was recommended to have a ASE Certified Mechanic replace the filter, flush the system, and install a new gasket. Our cars have a drain plug for the Tranny Pan...just start by changing the fluid yourself, AND check your motor mounts. I had 2 BAAAD motor mounts, and that causes the engine to jump around when shifting, and can make it seem like the tranny is bad.

Try the Royal Purple Automatic Transmission Fluid, or Redline!!

Darktide

The tranny filter is not serviceable by a normal person. It would require you to disassemble half the transmission to remove it. Not to mention it is only a stainless steel screen so it really doesn't need replacing. Just replace the tranny fluid and put in 1 bottle of Lucas Tranny Fix and thats about all you can do.

maximaman
Car: 96 maxima

I guess u can call me an aboveaverage person cuz i just did it today matter fact. It is kinda a pain in the *** tho i wont lie. But cop a 19 mm drive socket for the plug... The rest is like 12 i think. 1 nut gave me a hard time but i eventually busted that nut so to speak with a little patience. The whole project cost me 90 bucks with the socket rail i had to buy. Lucas included. You will be surprised at how much tranny fluid comes out homie..

nismopu
Car: 1987 Nissan 300ZX
1997 Nissan Maxima
1976 Datsun 280Z Turbo

Thanks for the tips guys! Yeah, I have two blown motor mounts it turns out, so I gotta fill em it looks like and make them solid. I am sure a tranny flush wouldn't hurt, so I will probably tackle that as well. thanks again. peace.

lightsout
Car: 00 Nismo Maxima SE

maximaman wrote:I guess u can call me an aboveaverage person cuz i just did it today matter fact. It is kinda a pain in the *** tho i wont lie. But cop a 19 mm drive socket for the plug... The rest is like 12 i think. 1 nut gave me a hard time but i eventually busted that nut so to speak with a little patience. The whole project cost me 90 bucks with the socket rail i had to buy. Lucas included. You will be surprised at how much tranny fluid comes out homie..
i guess i am a little scared to take apart my tranny just for a metal screen. How did your filter look(obviously dirty, somewhat dirty, clean)?

woot woot for the Royal Purple Tranny Fluid!!!
Modified by lightsout at 2:16 AM 4/2/2008

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”