track suspension question

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
Just another 240

i know alot of street-able suspension uses the eibach pro-kit/sportsline and kyb strut, etc.

i'm putting my car up at limerock this feb/march, what kind of suspension is good for track? it would be good to get a coilover than a spring setup right, for the track?

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

Setting up a good suspension entails a lot more than just putting parts on or looking for a type of part. you have to make everything work together well. Adjustable ride-height coilovers are a good concept, bus till require you to choose a good spring-rate and shock valving to make it work well. You'll also need to corner-weight the car to optimize handling with one of these. Alignment settings, tire choice, weight balance, roll-stiffeness and even alignment changes under load are things you need to consider as well. If you are competing, and the rules allow these types of mods, then I would consider it a requirement to be competetive against those that are setting up their cars well. If you are just there to drive and have fun, a set of springs and shocks will probably do the job. I'd recommend camber plates and some nice tires too. You'll find the 240 tends towards understeer a bit at the limit since they tend to roll over the outside edge of the outside front tire under heavy extended load. Transients tend to be fine, but I got a bit more response from the front with the camber plates since the contact patch is flatter.

Just another 240

what exactly is camber plate? i know camber is an alignment setting, is camber plate a part to install into your car, or is it like a tool to adjust your aligment?

C-Kwik

It replaces the front upper strut bearings. It allows you to push the top of the strut in or out yuo adjust the camber setting. You can use crash bolts to do this, but it isn't as easy to adjust. The camber plates will allow you do adjust the camber in a matter of a couple minutes, so you can change the cambe settings when you go to the track and change it back to your street setting to save your tires.

1 Dirty Truck

Just another 240 wrote:i know alot of street-able suspension uses the eibach pro-kit/sportsline and kyb strut, etc.

i'm putting my car up at limerock this feb/march, what kind of suspension is good for track? it would be good to get a coilover than a spring setup right, for the track?

When and why are you going to limerock?

Just another 240

1 dirty truck, i'm probably be going to limerock track around march ( i was told that's when it's open) and why? is because to put my 240 on track to 1-have fun, 2 compete with others 3- try to get the license from the SCAA

i'm never been there, i'm just tagging along wif my friends and his mechanic. His mechanic races there all the times and win mADD trophies.

Exar-Kun
Car: 2005 350Z

to be competitive do the following:

1. get with someone whos raced at the track before, preferable a chassis setup person, ask for his recomendations.2. get road race or "R" compound tires.3. find a shop that can corner weigh your car.4. after thats done get this in order:-race spec adjsutable coilovers, wither with an adjustable spring rate(via a secondary spring etc like TEIN RA or Apex-I n-1 or Cusco R coilovers) and dampner adjustment (the more adjustable the better)-A set of adjustable sway bars, or sway bars set the way you want them, -Full roll cage, front and rea strut bars-Upper pillow ball mounts-as much adjustable allignment/undercar suspension epices as you can afford, such as front tension rods, upper arms, and rear toe links, rear upper arms, etc.-replace every soft bushing you have with a stiffer one, ala NISMO, energy suspension, etc-LSD. LSD. LSD.5. once all thats installed, and you're broke beyond belief, take the car back to the corner weighing shop, and to the chassis setup person and adjust everything the way you, and he want it. 6. if possible, run a test lap on pre-heated tires.7. adjust a few things via experience from test lap8. run another test lap

if you improve your times, write down the suspension settings you used, and ticker away until you find a settup that yeilds your best performance, then get ready for track day.-chetalso, if you still have any money after all that, can I borrow a few grand?

Just another 240

god damn, i don't think i have money like that for all those shiet! damn~ u race on track?

i'm probably just gonna get some springs, shock and sway bar and run on the stock class or something like that~

but thakns for the info i'll write them down and do that when i have money.

by the way, what does 'corner weight' the car is?

Exar-Kun
Car: 2005 350Z

it lets you know how much weight each of your wheels carries on you car, so you can adjust your suspension to the weights..-chet

C-Kwik

not exactly. You do weight how much of the car's weight are on each corner. You adjust the weight on each wheel using adjustable ride-height coil-overs so that the weight bias between the left front and right rear wheel matches the bias between the right front and left rear wheel. You want to do this with the weight of the driver in the car as well for better results.

Dori Dori
Car: Cars of course

Everything you ever wanted to know about corner weighing but was afraid to ask.:p

http://www.grmotorsports.com/cornerweight.html

Exar-Kun, I tried to reply to that email you sent me, but no dice. I just wanted to say thanks again. Too bad we can't get a FSM for a s13 silvia.:(

1 Dirty Truck

Dori Dori wrote:Everything you ever wanted to know about corner weighing but was afraid to ask.:p

http://www.grmotorsports.com/cornerweight.html

Exar-Kun, I tried to reply to that email you sent me, but no dice. I just wanted to say thanks again. Too bad we can't get a FSM for a s13 silvia.:(

You are looking for a FSM for s13 with sr or ca?

Dori Dori
Car: Cars of course

SR in english. I downloaded the CA one for other referances, but would really love an SR one.

Got a link?

1 Dirty Truck

I have a link for the one with the sr but it is in the s14 chassis.

MarkEmark
Car: fully-built '95 240sx KA-T

Just another 240---What's happening up at Lime Rock in feb/march? Track day or something of the sort? I'm in CT, about 1.5 hours from lime rock, where are you located? I might be interested..

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”