TPMS Reset

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
rwanttaja

Driving my Versa today, and the Time Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) light came on. Checked the pressures, all good. The light now exhibits the "TPMS Error" behavior described in the manual...when the car is started, it flashes for a minute then glows steadily.

Can't get it to the dealer for a couple of days...anyone know how to reset the system?

Ron

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

Most computer related electrics in cars can be reset by disconnecting the battery for 15-20 minutes... tried this?

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I believe the TPMS is reset from the in-car display somehow.Check through the M35/45 forum for posts on tire pressure monitoring. I know there were quite a few of them a while back. I don't see why the Versa's system would be much different from the M's.

TheToE

Same thing happend to me when i had to put a the spare tire on. Manual said that you have to take it to the dealership, ive been too lazy..

rwanttaja

TheToE wrote:Same thing happend to me when i had to put a the spare tire on. Manual said that you have to take it to the dealership, ive been too lazy..
My wife took it by the dealership yesterday...who told her the Versa was so new, they didn't even have the repair manuals yet!

I had considered the battery-disconnect trick, but wouldn't have tried it for the length of time suggested. Thanks, I may give that a shot, though I suspect all the temporary settings (radio stations, etc.) will get erased, too.

Thanks also for the M35/45 reference, I'll do some checking. My previous car had an "Oil change due" light that was reset by turning on the ignition, pressing the accelerator to the floor three times, and turning the ignition off again. I'm hoping to find a similar trick for the TPMS.

One point from the manual I'll mention, in light of folks dicussing putting window tints on the Versa: According to the manual, some tint films can cause problems by shielding the TPMS wireless signal from the receiver in the cabin. YMMV.

Ron

Ever Victorious

First car I've ever owned with a TPMS, so it's more of a "hey, that's cool" feature for me. If my tint screws up the TPMS, the TPMS will likely be disconnected.

scottiem
Car: 2007 Blue Oynx Nissan Versa SL

Talking to the wife the other day and TPMS came on, unfortunately I'm out of the country so I couldn't take it to the dealer. She took it in and the service center adjusted the sensors and 30 mins after leaving the dealer it came back on. Took it back in and this time they said they adjusted the computer. So far it hasn't came back on. I do have tinted windows so don't know if this affected it, have had the windows tinted for at least 2 weeks before I had this problem. Question I have is what is the tolerence for the TPMS, in other words normal tire pressure is 30psi at what psi above or below 30psi will the TPMS light come on.

XterraVersa
Car: Nissan Xterra & Nismo 350Z

Ever Victorious wrote:First car I've ever owned with a TPMS, so it's more of a "hey, that's cool" feature for me. If my tint screws up the TPMS, the TPMS will likely be disconnected.
Explain how tinting would affect a TPMS?

rwanttaja

XterraVersa wrote:Explain how tinting would affect a TPMS?
The status of the pressure transducers (in the wheels) is checked by the car computer by a radio signal...e.g., it's wireless. The antenna used by the computer is apparently inside the cabin of the car. The steel body of the car shields the RF signals from the transducers, so their only path is via the windshields (glass lets the RF through).

Theoretically, then, a metallic tint film on the windows would ALSO act as a shield, and will block the signals from the wheel transducers.

It sounds like TPMS problems are getting fairly widespread in the automotive community. I found a couple of companies selling universal TPMS-reset tools to repair shops and tire dealers. Enter the car type, attach the right connector, and it resets the TPMS.

Kinda bodes ill in the search for a simple reset that owners can do....

The TPMS is now required by the EPA, so there's no getting away from it. According to one source I found online, the EPA requires that the system be incapable of being turned off! So the dealer is apparently not going to be able to just kill the thing, and, apparently, the manufacturers are ensuring the TPMS share a fuse with a vital system. So you can't just pull a fuse to kill it without otherwise crippling the car.

Ron

electech
Car: '02 Explorer Limited, '03 Escape Limited, '07 Versa SL HB CVT, Convenience group, splash guards, flo

Could you tell me more about the EPA requiring TPMS, it is the first I have heard of that. What is the reasoning behind that?

rwanttaja

electech wrote:Could you tell me more about the EPA requiring TPMS, it is the first I have heard of that. What is the reasoning behind that?
Sorry, I botched it: It wasn't the EPA, it was Congress! The TREAD act of 2000 requires the addition of TPMS. The NHTSA, not the EPA, is the implementing agency. Justification for the addition of TPMS:

"Under-inflation of tires increases the likelihood of many different types of crashes, including those involving: (1) Skidding and/or loss of control of the vehicle; (2) hydroplaning; (3) increases in stopping distance; (4) flat tires and blowouts, and (5) overloading of the vehicle. We anticipate that 90 percent of drivers will respond to a TPMS low tire pressure warning by re-inflating their tires to the recommended placard pressure. Once all new light vehicles are equipped with compliant TPMSs, we expect that a resulting 119–121 fatalities would be prevented each year."

Full text of rule at:

http://www.tireindustry.org/pd...3.pdf

The system is supposed to activate when the pressure is more than 25% lower than the recommended cold inflation.

Some counter-arguments here:

http://www.tireindustry.org/go...s.asp

Ron

Cowboys Fan 87

Same situation....I had the windows tinted with 35% film about 2 weeks ago and this morning the TPMS displays the error code (1 min flash then solid). I'm taking the car to the dealer in the morning and I'll let you know what they say.....stay tuned.....

electech
Car: '02 Explorer Limited, '03 Escape Limited, '07 Versa SL HB CVT, Convenience group, splash guards, flo

Ok, lets hear what the news on this TPMS is. I have had mine one day, a total of 250 miles so far and this afternoon, while on a trip up into the mountains, the light started to blink and then remained on. I thought maybe the 4400 foot elevation may have affected it, then I stopped to check all the tires. I didn't have an air gauge, I will in the future, and all looked good. Turned the vehicle off several times for planned stops and it stayed on. It goes through the error code flash and then on solid. Once home, I checked all the tires, they read 40 pounds all the way around. Now, couple that with the cover for the passenger side airbag on the dash loose and raising up on one side and I am not a happy camper after one day ownership and only 250 miles. Cuss Fords if you want, but I have never had any of them back after only one day!!!

toby

I don't know where all of you live, but where I live, I can only legally tint the rear three windows, and even then only so much (have yet to find out the exact "percentage" allowed). I'm gonna call my dealer tomorrow about the TPMS issue you all are talking about. While I expect they'll have little info (seeing as how they had only two Versas on their lot- and now only one!), we'll see. If tinting does interfere with the TPMS, that will really suck.

Ever Victorious

electech -

The Versa is brand new. Brand brand brand new. So far what we've run across are little issues here and there that for the most part don't affect drivability, and our dealers have been able to quickly resolve them.

Until the cars have been made for a little while, I would expect these kinds of problems. Lord know the Focus wasn't a perfect car when it was first introduced.

Don't worry about the little stuff. Just have the dealer fix it.

electech

My windows are stock and the dang TPMS still is scrogged. There are two kinds of tinting, one has metallized film sandwiched in the middle and may not be good for wireless sensors. I am going to check on tinting this week and will ask what the maximum tint is. I know on the Honda CRV we had done, the back door windows, rear side glass and rear hatch glass all got very dark and the driver and passenger door was lighter. You couldn't see the occupants in the back. But they wouldn't let you tint the driver area. Now, the cop cars they were doing were a different story!!

electech

Lets hope the dealer can fix it!!! Seems like there is a common problem on TPMS cropping up. Different cars, different states, same problem. I would be curious to see if the culprit is common as well or is it many different problems. Time will tell. What do you guys run for tire pressures? Mine were at 40 when I checked them.

Elmojo
Car: 2007 Versa SL

electech: I have no idea where Hamptonville is, but I'm near Greenville, NC.I believe the maximum allowed tint is 35% statewide.As far as I'm aware, this applies to only the two front windows, and of course the windshield cannot be tinted at all besides a 'sun strip' across the top.

I spoke with one of the highest rated tint shops in the state on Friday, and he suggested 35% Charcoal tint, which is the non-metallized type. He said that the metallized or 'mirror tint' films would actually push the rating under 35%, which will result in you not being able to get the car inspected unless you know someone who will ignore the tint, which is illegal. Anyway, he said that 40% mirror tint is fine, but looks so light that it really isn't worth doing.I plan to go with the 35% Charcoal all around.This should look good, block a decent amount of heat, and hopefully not screw with my TPMS.

electech

Thanks for the numbers Elmojo. Hamptonville is 35 miles west of Winston-Salem. I took both of my Hondas to a place in Winston that does all the police cars and they go strictly by the law. So, whatever they said is legal is what I went with. I think the film they used was Formula 5000 or something like that. I will post back after I get an estimate. I don't know the numbers but we had everything tinted on the CRV except the windshield. It worked great for the wife and newborn to sit back there without being seen. I don't know what the percentage was though.

P.S We drove down your way, Sanford actually, to get our Versa. Great dealership.

Ever Victorious

Electech, Elmojo -

My car is 35% charcoal metallized film.

Metallized does NOT mean mirrored. Mirrored film is completely illegal in my state, it can't be installed, but I have metallized film on the car. Specifically, made by Llumar.

Thus far I have not had problems with my TMPS coming on, although it sounds to me like this takes a couple weeks to show up, so it will be a while before I can say for sure if mine is affected or not.

I have not checked my tire pressure, I assume it is factory spec (32? 34?)

I've also posted a pic (in the Versa pic thread). 35% charcoal is not terribly dark. I can still see easily into the car, but when I'm driving I don't need to use my sunglasses. The "dark" tints I see on the road around here are 20% or less, which are illegal.

Edit: Rephrase. less than 35% is illegal on driver and front passenger windows, but you can go as low as 5% behind the driver in this state. People here still ignore that and tint the front windows too dark.

Cowboys Fan 87

Well....I took the car to the dealer and their answer to my problem was..."Don't know, everything checks out fine....we pulled the battery and reset everything in the car computers back to factory settings."

So, they cost me at least 1 to 2 hours of work (Hands Free Phone Programming, Radio Programming, BlueTooth setups, etc), not counting the 1.5 hour drive to the nearest dealer, for something I could have tried myself.

I asked the mechanic about the window tint and he had never seen a car have TPMS problems because of tint. I asked if this could happen again and he said "It's very possible, we didn't change anything on your car."

So, I don't know if the 'repair' will last, only time will tell.

Ever Victorious

It still amazes me that even here in 2006, we can't spend a few extra bucks and put some damn NVRAM in our stereos to keep our settings from getting wiped when the battery/computer are reset in our cars.

rwanttaja

Cowboys Fan 87 wrote:Well....I took the car to the dealer and their answer to my problem was..."Don't know, everything checks out fine....we pulled the battery and reset everything in the car computers back to factory settings."
I have found a 3/4" square of black electrical tape works, too. :-)

I'm living with it until my first oil change. Maybe by then they'll have it figured out.

Ron

toby

Thanks for jinxing me! On my way home from work today, the second full day of owning my Versa, the damned TPMS light came on, and I don't even have any tinting on the windows yet! I called the dealer, who said the system might be responding to brief pressure changes, such as bumps in the road, and failing to clear for some reason. In other words, they don't have a damned clue as to what the problem is, any more than the rest of us do. First model year is always the worst...

electech

Interesting, my light came on on the first full day of ownership after climbing up to 4400 feet on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I thought it could be altitude related but after cranking back up for work this morning, the light was still on. I am taking it in at lunch tomorrow for that and for the airbag cover on the dash coming loose.

gr81

electech wrote:Interesting, my light came on on the first full day of ownership after climbing up to 4400 feet on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I thought it could be altitude related but after cranking back up for work this morning, the light was still on. I am taking it in at lunch tomorrow for that and for the airbag cover on the dash coming loose.
Oh that would suck that every time you have an altitude chage while driving it comes on. We make regular trips that can have +/-2000 feet swings in altitude. I wonder how many complaints they need to get before it would be a candidate for a recall.

karmandrew

We had the light come on after aroun 200 miles too. Check tyres and the pressure was lowish (30), filled up to 35 and light still on. It is a little annoying, I can live with it though. Considering what I read on the Fit forum about the paint work, it could be worse.

Ever Victorious

Ooh, paint work probelms on the fit? Do tell.

karmandrew

Ever Victorious wrote:Ooh, paint work probelms on the fit? Do tell.
http://www.fitfreak.net/forums...=7154

Ever Victorious

I know it's not nice to laugh at others' misfortunes, but that's funny.

I'll probably be the odd man out here in saying this, but within my immediate family, we have never had a reliable Honda product, with the exception of a lawnmower.

Return to “Versa General Chat”