TPMS light cleared, but still no good

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

Went to my dealer for my appointment to look at the TPMS system.

I took them the TSB number listed on the NHTSA's ODI website for the TPMS problem with the Versa.

The tech at the dealership said this TSB "does not apply to this vehicle" (WTF?!) and then proceeded to reregister the wheel sensors, which made the light go away.

I have every confidence that the light will come on in another 1000 miles, just like last time.

(Sigh)... I hate to say this, but I may have to build a lemon law case on this car. I love the car, but hate the flakiness of this damn system.

MIdnkight-lude

in your case, i would because you have a crash car (resale value might be lowered because of that) but i think i would ask for my sensor to be turn off completely. ebcause i will end up with rims.

good luck EV

Fla_Versa
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa 1.8 SL

Sorry to hear about your dealer's "fix" for this.

Just today I was also thinking about Lemon Law aspects of a perpetual problem like this one. I don't want to go that route (making a claim), but I won't be too happy if I have to keep taking my car in every couple of months for not much more than a "reset" rather than going in for a "cure".

My new job has me traveling more night-time hours and it is extremely annoying seeing a bright yellow warning light blinking and/or steady in my face during the long drive home.

I hope Nissan is "working" hard on this one. I am already working hard at being patient.

-paul

Ever Victorious

As I understand, this piece of equipment is supposed to be standard starting in 2008 as part of a federal mandate. Does anyone have a web link to a government site with the language of this law?

In my state, you have to prove that the defect has had repair attempted at least twice AND is not fixed AND is an immenant threat to life or a fire risk, OR has had repair attempted at least four times AND is not fixed AND causes "serious impairment" of driving ability, or poses a safety risk.

I want to make sure that the law spells out that this device is a SAFETY system, so that there's no question about the validity of the argument.

(Yes, that means in my state, if your stereo burns out 4 times, you don't get to make a claim unless the stereo actually causes a fire...)

motoguy128
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa S - 6 Speed

It's disappointing that Nissan wasn't able to make this system cheap and reliable. I'm only at 1500 miles so it's too early to know if I will be affected, but I have an S model (not sure if that matters) and I think my car was built several months after yours... so maybe they fixed it. I haven;t heard of as many new cases (that weren't actually caused by low tire pressure). I suspect that sometime around September, most cars comming off hte assembly line had an "updated" part. Why Nissan is not willing ot replace you part to solve this is beyond me.

On a side note, some '07 BMW motorcycles are also comming with a TPMS system as an option, but there, I think the pressure is simply measured using the ABS sensors to detect if one tire pressure has changed in relationship ot the other on level surfaces when the RPM's are steady. Traction control/stability control is also offered (again part of the ABS system).

I think TPMS, will become a standard feature like front disc brakes. As ABS becomes standard, I suspect stability control and traction control will also be standard within 2 or 3 years. I think the government may mandate it soon.

OKVersa
Car: Nissan Versa

I'm so sick of arguing with my dealer over this. It's 120 mile round trip to be told "The light's not on" and "we have no fix."

Here is the Bulletin:

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Owne...8.htm

XterraVersa
Car: Nissan Xterra & Nismo 350Z

You have horrible rip-off dealers.

Tynans in Denver actually called Nissan's tech line trying to figure out the problem. After 3 days of talking to Nissan, they had me come back in to run more tests and check parts/Vin... to see if it was the TSB, but it turned out to be a failed sensor. They replaced it & hopefully that is that.

You can reset a failed sensor as a temporary solution, but it will fail again, and again...

Drop that dealer and try another one if you can.

Call 1-800-nissan-1 and complain loadly & often. They do listen & take action if a dealer is ruining the Nissan name.

XterraVersa
Car: Nissan Xterra & Nismo 350Z

49 CFR Part 571.138 Tire pressure monitoring systems

http://www.gpoaccess.gov/cfr/index.html

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7...8.pdf

rwanttaja

OKVersa wrote:I'm so sick of arguing with my dealer over this. It's 120 mile round trip to be told "The light's not on" and "we have no fix."

Here is the Bulletin:

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Owne...8.htm
Well, if the light's *not* on, then the service bulletin doesn't apply. The bulletin describes specific conditions, and if any of the conditions don't apply, Nissan says they won't honor the warranty claim. Note the requirement to provide print-outs that show the required conditions.

Interesting that the bulletin applies only to the very early production vehicles...which, sadly, includes mine....

Ron

Ever Victorious

But what really pisses me off is that my car is ALSO an early production vehicle, and the light was on, in a fault condition (meaning there HAD to be an error code!).. bad dealership!

I'm waiting to hear back from NNA today, they said they'd call me by COB today.

Maybe Campbell-Nelson would do some good... their Nissan store is less than 2 years old, but their Volkswagen store has been around decades and is one of the best in the area...

Fla_Versa
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa 1.8 SL

If the last 6 digits of your VIN are less than 360230 then you will most likely be joining our club.

Nissan's TSB identifies this VIN sequence (and below) as the subset of vehicles who are highly suspect for the "problem" with TPMS.

My V falls into this category and is experiencing TPMS failure. (won't matter if it is a S or SL model). If you have TPMS in your Versa check you VIN.

This TSB thus implies that all Versas with a last-six VIN higher than 360230 should be O.K. But, be aware that manufacturers will adjust the VIN sequences as new cases are identified.

Ever Victorious

Mine is definitely in that range, being a 35xxxx series... and probably manufactured WELL before July 17th, as I bought it on July 30th...

I found another local dealer (Campbell Nelson) that is aware of the TSB and agrees with my assessment that the TSB DOES apply to my car... so I will be taking the car in there when it fails again.

Return to “Versa General Chat”