TPMS install with aftermarket wheels..help!

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
FndMspot
Car: 2007 M35 Sport

Hey guys,
I have had my aftermarket wheels for several years now with no issues until today, during an UPREV tune on the dyno, when they hit 130MPH, they heard rattling noise coming from back right wheel. They shut down the dyno and pulled the tire off the wheel and discovered that the wheel installer had strapped the sensor to the lower innner(dip) portion with plumbers strapping tape, and this shredded when the wheel heated up at 130 MPH. I brought the wheel to the installer and they stated that they do this will all aftermarket wheels that have stock wheels that have a straight valve stem and with the aftermarket wheel which has a 90 degree valve stem.
Options? and need your feedback:
1. Remove the sensors and have the light annoy me the rest of my car life. Is there a way to permanently turn off?
2. Re-strap the wheel with new material on all four wheels?
3. Fabricate a bracket for the sensor near the valve stem, but would be sheared off during a tire change?
4. Drill a hole near the bottom dip, for new valve stem, but they mentioned that this may not hold the air pressure in the tire, may leak?
I am surprised that the high end wheel vendors did not account for this and modify the valve stem to accomadate the OEM TPMS sensors.
Any feedback would be appreciated!

DeanM45
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport 1 or 2 mods

Good question....in for the solution.

FndMspot

Dean,
appreciate your input, but not sure of your answer?

svard75
Car: 06 M35x

I've got winter wheels without tpms and the light comes on every now and then but no sounds. Messing around with your wheels is risky I would have them taken out. Just remember to check them at least once a month or each time you fill whichever is easier.

ctsedan
Car: 2006 M45 blk on blk. 1995 s14 Sr20DET.

Most aftermarket wheel companies do offer two hole stem design wheels. I have two valave stems in my ICONZ wheels. I had the same issue with my tpms sensors, they would not fit the shape of the rim and seat correctly EVEN in the 2nd drilled valave hole.
The solution is these brackets
http://www.iforged.com/store/product_in ... ucts_id=11

These are made by few companies, they work great and will work with almost any wheel design. What they do is mount the TPMS inside the wheel attached by the above bracket via the valave stem.
Hope this helps

DoN_BLaZe34
Car: 2007 M45 Sport - Sold
2006 FX45 - Traded
2014 Q70S 5.6 - Sold
2017 Q70L 5.6 - Current

I was going to recommend the same exact thing

FndMspot

Thanks guys for the input,
Has anyone used this adapter and does it screw into the wheel itself?

DoN_BLaZe34
2006 FX45 - Traded
2014 Q70S 5.6 - Sold
2017 Q70L 5.6 - Current

I've used them before...don't have any pix but this is how they'll look:

check out this thread:

http://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-susp ... k-etc.html

FndMspot

Hey Don,
Thanks for the bracket detailed info and link, I called two companies, both which will help in the solution:
1. Called Iforge and ordered the brackets as suggested.
2. Called California Wheels who was the intstaller to the original two piece wheel back in 2009.
They stated that back then, the TPMS sensors were just starting to take off with most CAR manufacturers and now wheel vendors are starting to take notice and either make secondary stem hole for the TPMS or provide a adapter with the wheel.
My only concern about your link provided is that the sensor may be too high up and not in the wheel DIP and protected from Tire mounting and demounting which may be yanked off in the process?

DoN_BLaZe34
2006 FX45 - Traded
2014 Q70S 5.6 - Sold
2017 Q70L 5.6 - Current

No, no prob, happy to help.

To be honest, given the placement of the tire sensor, it's possible for it to be yanked when being dismounted. If I were you, I would just make note of it and let who ever is dismounting your tire(s) that you have those adapters in them so they know to be careful. It's either the adapters or drilling new holes lol.

Hope this helps.

Hatsuharu
Car: 2010 Infiniti M35x

Is this legit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-Infiniti ... 1199155598

Seems like too good of a price unless I am missing something?

merlinq2
Car: 2007 Infiniti M35x

I have a set, they work fine, you will need to provide them with your vin number at the time of order so that they can calibrate them for you. I think my total cost was $100 bucks shipped to me. They work fine

FndMspot

Update!
Hey guys, thanks for all your feedback, thats what is great about these forums, so much great knowledge and experience!

Currently waiting for Iforged adapters to ship, in holding pattern.
Meanwhile, the TPMS sensor light is blinking for about a minute upon startup, no audible alarm, then remains steady, located in the left instrument cluster at bottom below temp gauge.
If you sit back in your seat, it actually blends in with the other display lights, barely noticeable.
1. additional info from dealer: Yes, the TPMS sensors need to be in the wheel and moving to work, you cannot place in trunk spare tire, or PVC pipe filled with 36PSI.
2. The battery in each sensor has about a five year life and is sealed into the sensor, you would have to replace the whole sensor, not just the battery.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”