Towing a 2008 sl awd rogue with a tow strap...

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
xjayy

I was in an accident tonight and damaged my radiator so we decided to tow the car home with a tow strap. We stayed 30 mph and under for about 12 miles total and I started it up every 10-15 mins throughout the towing to get the fluid circulating (just in case that matters). When I was done I tried to pull the car in the driveway and for the hell of it I put it in awd and tried to drive but the rpms went up but the vehicle barely moved. When i took it out of awd it seemed to run and drive normal again. Is it possible I damaged the transfer case or transmission towing it like this?. There was no damage to anything from the accident other than the bumper and radiator and no engine lights on. any info will be greatly appreciated. thanks...

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

i'm sorry to inform you, but you are not allowed to tow any awd, 4x4, part-time four wheel drive, etc unless its on a flat bed.

what happens is, the wheels spin, causing the gears inside the rear differential to move. that movement then wants to move the clutch pack(which could or could not be engaged when the car is off. no one really knows). if the clutch-pack actually is engaged, its turning the propeller shaft, with turns the transfercase, which then turns the output shaft inside the transmission.

by turning the car on, you put the system through its initial checks, which could have engaged the awd.

id let it cool down and see what happens. i would also drain the fluid in the rear differential and see what comes out. if its got a lot of flakes = done for.

xjayy

so its likely I could have screwed up everything?...the rear differential, transfer case, and transmission?

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

1, 2 or all 3 - unknown. you have a 10yr 120k warranty on the tranny though. so thats good! ;)

DTASFAB

Forgive my total ignorance, and I know this probably sounds like a stupid question, but how is towing with all four wheels on the ground any different than coasting down a hill in neutral?

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

cars are not as simplistic as they used to be. now days when a car is on, its engaged or disengaged a lot of systems. when a car is off, we dont know what state it is actually in. especially with an AWD. there is a clutchpack in the rear carrier/differential and we dont know what state its in when the car is off. when a car is on, its throttle position sensor, transmission sensors, and everything else knows whats going on: is it parked. is it moving. is it coasting in neutral. is it in drive. is it slipping. etc etc.

if the rear carrier assembly/differential engaged the clutch-pack, and you dragged the car - you could have very well over-heated the clutchpack and caused issues that might or might not go away. thats why i said, let it cool down and see what happens.

the good news is you can get a used carrier with about 60k on it for around $200-$300
i believe we have the 5.173 GEAR RATIO

xjayy

thanks, I really appreciate the info. So alright... ill drain the fluid in the rear differential and check to see if it has flakes in it. If it does you have the correct one I can buy for 2-300?

DTASFAB

Ah ha, so neutral maybe isn't really neutral unless everything is on and running and burning fuel.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

xjayy wrote:thanks, I really appreciate the info. So alright... ill drain the fluid in the rear differential and check to see if it has flakes in it. If it does you have the correct one I can buy for 2-300?
ebay has many carrier assemblies.
DTASFAB wrote:Ah ha, so neutral maybe isn't really neutral unless everything is on and running and burning fuel.
not really in a modern awd automatic.
If the car has a manual t-case, you can put the t-case in neutral, then put the gearbox in neutral, totally disconnecting the engine from the complete drivetrain. That's the only way you can tow a 4WD vehicle. But, since AWD is completely automatic and requires no operator intervention, there's really no way to completely disconnect the drivetrain from the transmission, I wouldn't try it.

Return to “Rogue Forum”