Towing a 2001 Qx4

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
robdancarter
Car: 2001 Infiniti Qx4

I am moving across the country and would like to tow my 2001 Qx4, which has the 2wd/4wd capability. Has anyone done this? Does it require a flat bed? Ideally i would hook it to the back of a uhaul moving van, but I'm not sure if you can do that in a RWD. I'm open to other options if anyone has some ideas/advice.

atraudes
Car: 2001.5 Infiniti QX4 4WD

Put it in 2WD (drive it around the block to make sure only 2WD is engaged), and put it in neutral if you go with the approach of having 2 wheels on the ground. You'll need to pop off that shift lock cover and press the button to shift to neutral with the engine off.

I've moved cars across states like that and have always gone the flatbed/full trailer route. Those 2 wheel carriers always made me really nervous, especially with greater distances. This is what I used last time:

Either way, make damn sure the wheels are torqued down good and check on it every few hours for good measure. All of the road vibration and such will make it hop around a bit and wiggle its way loose, like with any strapped down load.

Maybe deflating the tires that are strapped down a bit would help...

Chuck Tribolet
Car: '01 Nissan Pathfinder, '87 Corvette, '01 Camry daily driver, '98 Boston Whaler Montauk

Across the country? 2001 Pathfinder owner's manual nets out to: DON'T.

And don't flat tow it AT ALL if it's an automatic.

You'll need a flatbed trailer.

Chuck

robdancarter
Car: 2001 Infiniti Qx4

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'm going to use the flatbed trailor from uhaul or just have someone else drive a moving truck and I'll drive the Qx4. You've convinced me to give up on the 2 wheel tow. I was uneasy about that option anyway.

atraudes
Car: 2001.5 Infiniti QX4 4WD

Chuck Tribolet wrote:And don't flat tow it AT ALL if it's an automatic.
I'm curious, why do you say that?

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”