Name that ground

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
ple99
Car: 2008 M45S

2008 m45s. I had engine removed/replaced (3rd engine at 124000 miles but whatever). In the process of that, the garage didn't remove a ground strap coming off the driver wheel well and it's now torn and I can't find the other end. Can anyone look and see where it goes? I can't post pics but will happily email or whatever I need to do if someone can. It's a 1/4 inch flat ground strap coming off a connector screwed to the driver wheel well about 6 inches inside and down from the shock mount.

EdBwoy

Is it a braided strap? If so, it will go to the exhaust manifold shield. Most likely top bolt, front most, easiest to access from the front of the engine.

If I may ask, what happened to the other engines - rod bearings?

ple99

Ding ding ding. Looks like we have a winner. Yes it was braided. And it reaches where you said. Looked like a good place. So if that wasn't where it went before, it is now. Thanks.

Yes, rod bearings. First time at 50,000. That one I kind of accepted blame for because it was one quart low and I was running it hard. I had leased it new and got a new short block under warranty so went ahead and bought it off lease.

The second time was 74000 later. This time, not low on oil at all and wasn't running hard at all. These engines have an oil flow problem apparently.

EdBwoy

Good! We all love a quick solution. :bigthumb:

I have had the pleasure :rolleyes: of dropping 2 engines into M45s over the past 2 months. One is an 06 the other is an 03.
When I hear about an 06+ with a bad engine I can almost certainly call the rod bearings. Say, would you know which cylinder #s it has been, perhaps #8 and #6?

ple99

I think the first engine threw 8. Not certain I remember correctly but pretty sure. This last one I don't know. Just had it pulled and shipped off to have it completely rebuilt. Then had it pulled and shipped off again a month later because something went bad with the heads. Butterfly came loose or something.

I read these forums often and I'm always surprised more people aren't on here crying about spun rod bearings in these things. I drive it hard but I drive everything hard and this is the first engine I've had this happen with. Twice at that.

Outside of averaging 62000 mile life per engine, everything has been great! Haha.

EdBwoy

Hmmm, might be time for a poll or a thread on engine failures. Let me come up with something, and maybe we could spark some conversation.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”