Jbaker1121's 2009 FX50

A forum for lovers of Infiniti's hot-rod crossover, the FX! In 2014, all FX models will be named Infiniti QX70, in line with Infiniti's new naming structure.
Jbaker1121
Car: 09 FX50, FULL OEM Aero kit, GTspec STB, HKS -style mufflers, 367awhp/358tq UPrev Osiris tune
---- for sale!!!!!!

'84 Z31 300zx 50th AE VG30ET...build in progress SOLD :(

Longtime lurker, member on other FX-specific forums but never really post here…

I got my 2009 FX50 a couple years back basically brand new with not many miles from the dealer's owner (family friend) - It was one of the first in NY/the country.

currently have 38k miles on it.

Blue Slate, Premium, Touring, non-tech and non-S but since the 2009's had a weird mix of packages before they changed it in 2010 to get more money from buyers, I still have paddle shifters and a few other things.

I bought the full OEM aero kit and had it dealer installed a while back, was one of the first before it caught on on the forums (although most opt to only get the front spoiler)

Right now my modifications include 20% front tints to match back,
a set of 10" polkmomo subs & amp in a custom box in the back, carried over from my 05 FX35,
Independent foglight control, remote start, window/sunroof up/down control from KP tech,
2012+ chrome foglight surrounds,
Paint-tinted my taillights, vinyl-tinted my 3rd brake and rear reflectors,
Refinished/Painted my OEM 21" wheels a toyota gunmetal color (forgot the name)
(was running GTR 20" wheels for a while but sold them to pay off the OEM aero kit)
HKS hiPower replica exhaust from g35/350z (dual canister muffler design) custom fit to my FX
(I originally did a muffler delete but it was "too much" - this is much more refined)
UpRev Osiris dyno tuned (going tomorrow 12.6 will update)
Planning on ordering Fortune Auto 500 coil overs (figuring out camber adjustment issue)

most recent pictures:
figured I would introduce myself and spread the knowledge.

RED_DET
Vendor
Car: 2004 6 speed G35 Sedan, 2011 G37x, 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R SR20DET, C7Z06

Very nice... don't see many of these with any modifications.

Jbaker1121
Car: 09 FX50, FULL OEM Aero kit, GTspec STB, HKS -style mufflers, 367awhp/358tq UPrev Osiris tune
---- for sale!!!!!!

^ Thanks. There's not much of an aftermarket (besides Russia) but even then it's pretty much just body kits that cost $10k+ and there are a few sets of coil overs available, but our cars have an issue with no camber correction in the rear so any lower (even with the avail springs) gives it camber you can't adjust.. (Im currently in the process of ordering Fortune Auto coils, then figuring out the camber issue since I don't drive it much while at school anyway)

As for exhausts, there's 1 -> the Borla. most do custom (there's also an ARK muffler avail)
but ones from the 37 models (g/z) can be modded to fit. Same with HFC/test pipes (I think)

For suspension besides springs/coils, GTspec/Summit has a full line of chassis braces.

Otherwise that's pretty much it.

Jbaker1121
---- for sale!!!!!!

So, the results are in:

RESULTS: Gain of about 5hp and 12tq, giving me

329hp and 338tq at the wheels (Mustang Dyno)

baseline is 325hp, 326tq (unlike the "I gained 30hp" FX that showed 305 as the baseline, ~330 after tune)

Modifications
K&N Drop-ins
HKS Replica Dual mufflers
Stock cats, Stock resonators.

The Tune:
Adjusted A/F
Removed Rev/Speed Limiter
Removed fuel cutout w/ braking (for "launching")
(Couldn't adjust Ignition timing)
True 100% WOT
ETC.

Right now I guess the car does drive better than it did before, feels peppier. Obvi I'm not going to feel 5hp/12tq but the driving is a bit different from adjusting the WOT, etc.

Dyno printout:

I'm going to try and get HFC or test pipes, maybe change the stock resonators too, then do a retune (may also try and do custom intakes w/ ducts)
then hopefully by then ignition timing adjustment will be available again… however…...

FYI UPREV IS SUSPENDING SUPPORT FOR THE INFINITI FX50 Until they can "figure out" the issue with the Ignition timing..
So I guess everyone will have to wait a bit until they figure this out before tuning….
They "don't have" the correct files/tables for ignition timing tuning and therefore you cannot get a "full" tune with osiris…
also there is nO WAY to see KNOCK while tuning the FX50….another problem

Jbaker1121
---- for sale!!!!!!

---

So, in the meantime while they try to figure that stuff out, I've decided that I want to do a few more things that are PERFORMANCE-oriented to squeeze some more power out of the FX50. Hopefully by then, the ignition timing tuning will be back.

So, I am not looking to get a set of High Flow Cats, Test Pipes, but more likely Resonated Test Pipes (best of both worlds, less rasp, no catalyst material to break up and clog my exhaust system)

And to make up for the potential rasp from the TP/RTP, I will add an X pipe pre-resonator on the mid pipe. (that's what the G guys do) However I'm sure the "rasp" with the v8 will not be as bad as the type found on the v6 vehicles...

I am also looking at doing an intake setup utilizing factory ducting (to ensure I am getting cold, fresh air and not heatsoak engine bay air)

I have also decided to take the plunge on coil overs, however I will be ordering Fortune Auto 500 coil overs with a 10k rear /8k front spring setup and "street" valving (Fortune coil overs can be ordered with custom spring rates, valving, and the option to use Swift springs) These are higher quality than BC/Megan and are assembled in the US, dyno tested, and have great support for rebuilds etc (which are done in the US)

Best Pricing I got was $1149 shipped, takes around 2 weeks because they build to order. For the few more dollars it is well worth it over BC/Megan imo.

After the coil overs, I'm going to be working with a shop to develop a solution to our 2nd gen camber issue, whether it is an extension on the factory camber arm or developing a part to replace factory parts for supporting camber adjustment - and they have agreed to a group buy once the problem is solved.

I'm also looking at getting a set of wheels, but will most likely do performance mods first.

So, stay tuned.

Jbaker1121
---- for sale!!!!!!

Purchased a set of used GTM RTP with ~100 miles on them, essentially brand new. 30% MSRP. (not too bad)

They come with the needed extended Jpipe for o2 sensors, additional bungs for sideband, and are 'quieter' than standard test pipes due to resonating chambers.

Should be to my house before I am, but they'll be on in about two weeks. If they're too loud, I'll just sell them to thenext guy in like from the thread I bought them on, and go HFC.

GTM claims +~12hp and ~10tq with a dyno(Stock exhaust but w/ test pipes) for these on the vq motor, but the gains may differ on the vk. We shall see.

Paired with a true CAI this should free up some more ponies with a proper tune.

Jbaker1121
---- for sale!!!!!!

So, The test pipe project is complete, and… it was a lot more complicated than I thought.

To start, the flange where the cats meet the header are 2-bolt on the FX50, not 3bolt like the RTP themselves. So I had to buy new flanges (vibrant)

Then, it turns out that the test pipes for the z/g, which may bolt straight up to an FX35, do not bolt in to an FX50… so we had to cut and weld.

So a "quick" swap turned into an ~8 hour fitment job including cutting, welding, a broken stud that had to be drilled out and rewelded, and heat paint treatment.
For this reason, It turned out to be a lot more work than I expected, leading it to cost a lot more than I expected.

However, I am happy with the result (and I haven't even gotten it tuned with these in….hopefully I see similar gains of 12-16hp that g/z guys got)

^ As you can see, we had to cut out the resonator, cut the piping, and were lucky the distance needed to the flange was exactly that of the resonator itself, without needed to cut out the extra bungs for wide band

We were also able to reuse the factory brackets that bolt in to where the catalytic converters meet the headers (really where the primary cats meet the secondary cats, I replaced the secondary cats with these RTP)

^driver's side done
V passenger side done

Compare the shape and size of the pipes to the pic when I bought them…..

After we made sure they were a perfect fit, we blasted them with heat-resistant paint..black for stealth.

(yeah it's salty under there)

as for sound, it did not really change drastically due to the resonator on the test pipes. The exhaust note from the back is a bit throatier now, but no drone nor much bass was added to the exhaust note. When I'm at WOT, however, the engine really opens up compared to how it sounded before. It seems to be enjoying the missing cats….

I'll try and have a vid together soon. I'm in the process of packing to drive back to buffalo for the semester so things are a bit hectic

The BUTT DYNO is telling me that it pulls a bit harder (or revs more freely) hopefully after a tune the actual dyno shows me i've improved on my power.

To be honest, It will be cool to make the extra 15hp and to have pioneered test pipes on the FX50 (as far as I know)
but for what I paid to have these then alter them, it was bit much out of my pocket.

For what I paid to have these RTP tailored to fit, and to have the HKS replica muffler tailored to fit, I could have simply bought a Borla catback from the start and had enough change left over to tune it… but again this is the price of going custom (pun intended) plus I wouldn't have test pipes with the borla

---
here's a little teaser of how the new setup is sounding... full video with accel, etc (and hopefully less "noise" from wind or whatever that is)

Reminder, this is with factory headers, factory primary cats, secondary cats are now Resonated Test Pipes, factory Ypipe, factory Midpipe + resonators, HKS Hi-Power replica dual resonated mufflers...

The video doesn't really catch how much more "V8 throatiness/choppyness" was added without adding any bass/drone..but it sounds.. more german?
I'm not sure how to explain it. Hear for yourself:

(yes it sounds similar to my muffler delete but trust me it is quieter, less bass, and minimal drone added from the RTP)

Jbaker1121
---- for sale!!!!!!

Took my FX50 to the 1/4 mile drag strip for the first time:

Mods: Custom Resonated Test Pipes, HKS knockoff Mufflers. (ypipe, midpipe are stock) + Partial UpRev tune (no ignition timing adjustment and the test pipes were not tuned in i.e. I added them after the tune)

Best R/T: .533
Best 60': 2.096
Best 1/8: 8.860 @ 81.16
Best 1/4: 13.697 @ 102.02
Altitude @ 45 degrees

other runs were 13.8, 13.77, 13.9, 13.8, 13.8

Top run slips attached (I'm 114) Mainly races against my buddy in his '10 WRX hatch and got him every time except for the 1 time he beat me because he caught me sleeping at the line (and he dumped the clutch and launched for once).

Another FX50 owner (Da mayor on forums) got 13.523 @100.37 mph in his with FX50 with 22" wheels and a muffler delete, and that was the number I was trying to beat. Looking at his slips it looked like he was able to get out of the box faster, (.4 r/t, 1.9 60') which let him have a little bit quicker 1/8 (8.5@ 81) and thus a quicker 1/4, even if at a lower speed. (13.523 @100.37)

I guess I need to play around with how I launch it. The fastest runs were simply smashing the gas in DS mode. I tried brake boosting, manual shift, etc. DS mode from idle was the fastest. I also left from the two-light stage position instead of "deep' which would have allowed me to roll a bit. Next time I will try this method because it's the method some use to get out of there more quickly. I also chirped at the line each time a little but so it could have been my tires, the temp, the track (45*) etc.

if I can nail my launch, I don't see why I wouldn't be able to beat his 13.5 figure. It was my first time at the track. Another issue may be the tuning, which gave me more power up top but sacrificed a little bit of low end by moving the power band a bit. (higher speed, slower time)

May have to finish my tune and practice my launch, then see what happens.

Jbaker1121
---- for sale!!!!!!

anyway, Finally got around to filming an Exhaust video.

again, mods are - HKS Hi-power replica resonated mufflers (from G/Z); Custom GTM Resonated Test Pipes (from G37/370z). Everything was custom fit to my FX50.
Other modifications include: K&N drop in filters, UpRev Osiris tune.

Enjoy

http://youtu.be/qN07NMHdtMk

stm37s
Car: 2012 300 SRT8
2011 M37S
2006 Range Rover HSE (Wife's Ride)
2012 Camaro LS (Wife's Ride)
95 Impala SS (sold)
2004 Impala SS (sold)
2012 Hyundai Veloster (Daughters Ride)

Nice build thread so far man, ride looks good.

roark187
Car: 2008 EX35

Where'd you get the exhaust?

Jbaker1121
---- for sale!!!!!!

roark187 wrote:Where'd you get the exhaust?
Ebay and had it custom fabricated to fit.

Jbaker1121
---- for sale!!!!!!

Got my car back after a month at the dealer. 2 TSBs done, a polish, detail, brakes, new fluids, and straight to the dyno for tuning.

Went to my old buddies at Vinny Ten Racing out in Long Island, NY. (Some of you may remember my experience with them in the past with my FX35)
also, they are known for some nasty VQ35 builds (first to 800hp with the Jim Wolf Twin Turbo kit) and Vinny Ten got his name to fame in the 90's getting his Supra MK4 the first into the 10's on the 1/4....so my FX is in good hands.

I'll get to the numbers: (keep in mind these are DYNOJET AWD DYNO numbers)

Base run with old tune not setup for test pipes: 367 awhp / 348 ft/lb
Not a smooth curve, power was all at 7k aka not practically usable

Maximum numbers achieved after tuning for top end power and pre-smoothing: 368 AWHP / 358 ft/lb Tq

FINAL Average numbers after smoothing and adjusting power curve: 361 AWHP / 352 ft/lb TQ

The tune moved more usable power to around 5k vs. the 7k it was at before, and made the entire curve much smoother
(red is new curve, blue is old - ignore the red dropping out at end, this is from the transmission overheating after 15+ runs, explained more in my Uprev Tune thread)

VIDEO:
https://youtu.be/VLSL8-S9b6s

after a long evening, the FX50 emerged with not just a few more ponies, but more usable power than before.
Butt dyno felt it on the hour drive home on both the highway and from stoplight.

These numbers are from a DYNOJET AWD DYNO, which reads differently than the MUSTANG DYNO my last tune was done on.

my MUSTANG DYNO numbers after a tune with just the Mufflers and Filters was 329 AWHP / 338 ft/lb TQ
That same tune on the DYNOJET (albeit with test pipes added) was 367 AWHP / 348 ft/lb TQ

So yes, the DYNOJET read ~30 more HP but only 10 more lb/ft - this is both because they read power differently and the way they are set up.
The guys at VTR swear their number is more accurate, and that because they let the transmission be cool before doing pulls, this is what produced the higher number.

So, whether you want to saw one number is reading high or the other low, keep in mind they are not that far off, and even if you take the average between them, it comes out to a healthy average of 348 AWHP / 343 lb/ft TQ- Which isn't that ridiculous a number for the 50.

Now I am unsure of how exactly to calculate crank HP and what not, but I used some online calculators and it seems that the numbers are follows:

Original Mustang Dyno run at 329 HP / 338 TQ = 404 crank hp (+14 HP / 18.5% drivetrain loss)
+ ~5 for Test pipes = 410 crank hp (+ 20 HP / 18.5 % drivetrain loss)
VTR Dynojet Dyno run max: 367 HP / 358 TQ = 450 crank hp (+ 60 HP / 18.4% drivetrain loss)
VTR Dynojet Dyno run avg: 360 HP / 352 TQ = 440 crank hp (+ 50 HP / 18% drivetrain loss)

I think that the MUSTANG Dyno numbers are a bit more realistic,
so I think it is safe to say that I added around 20 horsepower after mufflers, test pipes, intake filters, and a tune

#NOFILTER

So, the FX50 is all dolled up, freshly tuned, and is ready for my ROAD TRIP IN TWO WEEKS!

mexillis
Car: M45s

nice work with the FX man, should get rid of the oem exhaust parts remaining to let it breath a little more.

Jbaker1121
---- for sale!!!!!!

mexillis wrote:nice work with the FX man, should get rid of the oem exhaust parts remaining to let it breath a little more.
the only thing left is the resonators which aren't really restrictive - they're more for sound deadening. Only option is to chop them out, making it louder, or just convert to bigger pipes but I don't want it any louder than it is. Too much breathing will be good for top end HP but not really worth it right now imo

thanks for the support

still for sale, for the right price ;)

Laughingjuice
Car: 2010 Infiniti fx 50

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I have 10 fx 50, borla cat back exhaust. K&N drop in filters. But I wanted to put the resonated test pipes like you have. But I just have a couple questions for you. I have a local exhaust shop here in the city that does really nice custom work. But he said he can just cut off the secondary cats and weld in a straight pipe. But I said there would probably be o2 sensors to deal with because I wasn't sure. So I thought I would ask you since you have been there done that. Any feed back is much appreciated!

Return to “Infiniti FX35 / FX45 / FX37 / FX50 / QX70 Forum”