M35X Long Range Trip

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
gavnator
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35X Obsidian Black, Bourbon Interior, Journey, Navigation
2013 Mazda CX9 Grand Touring

Just got back from a long run from CT to Louisville KY to see family members. 1700 miles round trip. I purchased a front bra cover from Infiniti before we left and I'm glad I did. The thing is a pain in the a** to put on but it saved the front end and hood. Weather sucked on I-80 going through Penn. I averaged 22.5 MPG at an average speed of 80 MPH. Not bad I guess. Car ran beautifully down and back to CT. I think I saw 4 troopers on the way down and back. Lots of truck on I-80.

a.blanco0905
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45
91 300zx TT
07 Kaw ZX6R

Cool, I've never invested in any sort of "bra" maybe I will some day... I usually use a liquid that makes it easier to remove bugs & bug juice and it works real good without any damage to the paint. As far as 22.5 MPG at around 80 MPH, that's interesting... I do 75-80 on my M45 and I avg about 19.9 MPG and I thought guys with M35's avg'd about 25 MPG, granted you have the X model which should be a little worse than a regular M35...

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

I think it depends on your ECU training.

I heard recently that the car learns how you like the RPM's to be and will stay in gear longer, etc. thus killing mileage. When I drove from NY to FL a month ago I averaged 20mpg and that was with an ECU that hasn't been reset in who knows how long. When I go to Missouri in June I'm going to reset the ECU prior to leaving and see if I can get better mileage doing 80mph.

I might recent it tonight just to see if I can get better around town if I baby it. If I baby it right now, I can get about 22mpg.

This thread:

m35-ecu-reset-t529045.html

You guys think plugging in my OBD-II reader and wiping all data will be the same as a reset (force the ECU to relearn everything)?

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

IlyaKol wrote:I think it depends on your ECU training.

I heard recently that the car learns how you like the RPM's to be and will stay in gear longer, etc. thus killing mileage. When I drove from NY to FL a month ago I averaged 20mpg and that was with an ECU that hasn't been reset in who knows how long. When I go to Missouri in June I'm going to reset the ECU prior to leaving and see if I can get better mileage doing 80mph.

I might recent it tonight just to see if I can get better around town if I baby it. If I baby it right now, I can get about 22mpg.

This thread:

m35-ecu-reset-t529045.html

You guys think plugging in my OBD-II reader and wiping all data will be the same as a reset (force the ECU to relearn everything)?
Just reset my ECU using those instructions and they do work.

On my way home from work 7.2 miles, about 2 or 3 miles of hilly country roads, I averaged 24.2 by babying the car. I could normally get like 21mpg if I reset the meter and baby'ed the car. Definitely an improvement. Going to drive like this for a few days and see if it tends to fair better even when I do punch it.

As far as the CEL flashes in case anyone is interested:

The flashes are the CEL codes. They consist of some long and some short flashes which help identify which reason the CEL is on for (if it's on for a reason). 10 long and 10 short flashes is normal or means everything is okay. On my Maxima, it was 5/5. I guess on these ECU's it's 10/10.

Bottom line? AWESOME. I should be able to get 24/25mpg on my trip to Missouri no problem. Maybe even better. On a 20hr trip, that is a LOT of gas savings.

gavnator
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35X Obsidian Black, Bourbon Interior, Journey, Navigation
2013 Mazda CX9 Grand Touring

Here's how I see it. I-80 if you have ever driven it is a truck route which has only 2 lanes on each side.. I mean there's more truck's than cars. It's also very hilly and forget about using cruise control unless you plan on sitting in the right lane doing 60 MPH or have a death wish... This was my first drive. It runs the entire length of PA. You are driving in between these trucks and you are on the hammer. This is a " 2 hands on the wheel" drive. I have gotten as much as 23.5 MPG on other trips. I pulled the window sticker from my Infiniti manual zip case and it says 17 city/ 24 hiway. I knew what type of milage I would get when I bought the M and I use nothing but tier 1 93 octane. If you live in Texas like blanco you may get 24/25 in an X/non-X. In this part of the country I believe 24MPG hiway in a M35X cruising at 80-90 MPH is a pipe dream. Remember, that 3.5 in the M is spinning a 3200/3300 RPM at 80/90 MPH. Regarding the ECU reset; can that be done using a Actron ODB II scanner/reset device? I thought the "M" re-learns shift points and adjusts to alternate driving patterns? What say the forum?

a.blanco0905
91 300zx TT
07 Kaw ZX6R

As far as the ECU relearning your patterns of driving, yes... that's accurate, however, take in consideration that even at the state your ECU is currently in, I highly doubt that an ECU reset would help your MPG because once you're on the freeway mostly cruising there's not a driving pattern but just that... "cruising" ...thus the ECU is in a state of optimal condition to achieve the best MPG it could anyways. I'm sure I could get 24-27 MPG if I "babied" the car, but that's not my regular driving style. I like to cruise (not neccesarily with cruise control engaged) at 75-80 Mph, never above that, and below it only when there's traffic. An ECU reset (for MPG purposes) is usually done when you buy a car used and you want the car to learn your driving style and do away with the old. Also, as you're human you're most likely going to revert to your usual driving habits unconsciously... so actually the best thing you could do is set the cruise control (if possible) at a speed lower than what you would usually drive (I do that at 70 MPH and I still feel tempted to go up anyways, lol) and save your ca$hing!!! Ilya, you're def on the right track, however, 7.2 miles, hardly constitutes a good MPG average reading... makes sense? To get the 19.9 Highway I said I got, I reset the computer's MPG computer once I was on the highway and drove to San Antonio, then maybe 20 miles in the city, and back to my town and then I got the 19.9, at one point it read 20.2 MPG...

Ilya

Even at 7.2 miles you can tell there is a difference. Why? Because I've reset my car many times JUST on that route. A 3mpg increase on the first reset after an ECU rest? Very plausible.

We'll see what happens. I'll be going to Syracuse (2.5hrs) soon and a bunch of other places so I got plenty of trips to see if it helped.

a.blanco0905
91 300zx TT
07 Kaw ZX6R

:bigthumb:

Theo
Car: 2006 M35X - sold (now 18 Accord Touring)
2012 Xterra SV 4x4

I'm in the middle of a return trip to Florida and averaged 22.8 mpg at 75mph, i tried to keep the rev's just under 3000 and used a mix of 87 and 93 oct. 3 adults, one kid and the trunk jammed full with lots of extra weight.

I drove through the crazy weather in the WV/SC area and missed the serious stuff by one day. some of the heaviest rain I've seen. RainX is worth every penny!

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”