Top Glove Box repair/removal???

Discussion forum for body kits, repair, modifications, interior styling, Audio / Video and internal/external lighting.
joshcloud9
Car: 04 Infiniti G35 Sedan

This is driving me nuts!

How do I repair this lose trim on the top right of the top glove box (refered to as a Center Box in the manual?

I've removed as many screws as I can find:

Here's what the manual says, not much help as if doesn't work as described!Instructions to remove side ventilator grill state remove center box first...AND Center box removal instruction state to remove the side ventilator grill first?? Not making any sense!?

And

Any help will be much appreciated My G is an 04 sedan
Modified by joshcloud9 at 12:14 PM 3/24/2008

G_whizz
Car: 2010 G37 Coupe Sport

To be honest... I haven't a clue...

Hang in there... someone will be around shortly

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

If you are still under warranty why not try the dealer?Even if you are not why not let them at least look at it & perhaps they can give you an idea of what needs to be done. Just my $.02

Telcoman

MaximA32

From what I'm reading from the manual there, you remove all the screws and then you give the assy. a tug because it's held on with metal clips. I would be firm but gentle as you don't want to break anything.

tollboothwilley
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan w/ NAV

I had the same issue with mine and it pissed me off until I figured it out.

As long as you have removed all the screws then you will pull it out from the left side while pushing it to the right.

Make sure that you don't have any screws holding the piece in.

It might require more force than you'd expect...just make sure you pull the left side out first.

tollboothwilley

if its still bugging you, send me a PM and i'll do a write up of the fix

I'd also recommend the strongest glue you can find as well as C-clamps to hold it while the glue set

joshcloud9

Thanks!

If this is a common issue? anyone else have this problem? Maybe a write up would be good if so!

Do you have to lift away the outer lid of the door while it is unscrewed from the hinged inner section? Or is the whole lid assembly going to come off (somehow) in one piece? What direction does it pull out?

If it is the whole box that is being removed, where are the screws holding it in place...nothing obvious or reachable?

There is nothing that looks like it can pull apart, it just feels like the plastic hinge will break if I pull it hard! Per the diagram the hinge is screwed in from above...not seeing how this comes apart at all!

I see no clips visible?
tollboothwilley wrote:I had the same issue with mine and it pissed me off until I figured it out.

As long as you have removed all the screws then you will pull it out from the left side while pushing it to the right.

Make sure that you don't have any screws holding the piece in.

It might require more force than you'd expect...just make sure you pull the left side out first.
Modified by joshcloud9 at 10:40 AM 3/25/2008
Modified by joshcloud9 at 11:30 PM 3/25/2008

tollboothwilley

Problem: Trim piece to upper glove box coming off on one side

Time: About 45 min for disassembly/assembly plus drying time for glue

Cost: about $5 for the 3M super adhesive spray (i dont remember the price because i bought it 2 years ago)

This part is where you feel like you are going to break something. Be gentle and pull the radio trip piece up as you pull the upper glove box out and to the right.

After glue dries, put the car back together and you are set.

Hope this helps

doug_stanton
Car: 2003 AT G35 Sedan

I am having this same problem with my leather trim on the door. I tried tucking it in and gluing it but that never worked. Is there a slightly easy way that I can get the panel off and then glue it? Thanks.

G_whizz
Car: 2010 G37 Coupe Sport

Nice job Johnathon!!!

We'll have to get this added to our write up for sure

tollboothwilley

G_whizz wrote:Nice job Johnathon!!!

We'll have to get this added to our write up for sure
Thanks Sean, I'll do more if I can think of anything worth doing....
doug_stanton wrote:I am having this same problem with my leather trim on the door. I tried tucking it in and gluing it but that never worked. Is there a slightly easy way that I can get the panel off and then glue it? Thanks.
Doug

I've used the same glue for the door trim. As far as taking off the door panel, forget it. I've done that and it doesn't help anything. What kind of glue did you use on the door panel trim? I used the same stuff as in the above fix and worked fine for me. When using this glue, I've found it best to get both sides wet with glue and keep apart. After a short while press together and it will hold much better.

joshcloud9

Thanks so much for the brilliant write up Tollboothwilley!

BTW I think it would be useful to add that the right hand vent comes of with the top box. Helps when you are tugging on things to know that!

I used Locktite Plastic Epoxy which dries in around 20 minutes. Good stuff.And held it together while drying using a strip of trim wood to protect the surface and give a flat area to be clamped.

I undid way too many screws, I had 4 left after putting it all back together! I swear everything is held together properly, no idea where they're from!!!

Cheers

tollboothwilley

Glad it helped you out. The locktite plastic epoxy work good for you? LIke a super glue or what?

joshcloud9

The Locktite glue is a 2 tube epoxy that you mix together, worked real easy on that yellow foam backing. I tried a hot glue gun first and that did not work at all!

That lose trim bugged me every time I got in the car!!!!!

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

Johnathon, very nice writeup!!!

ByThaBay
Car: 2005 G35 Sport Sedan 6MT

I found that for the 05+ coupe/sedan that you will first need to unscrew the left side vent before removing the rest of the upper glove box. Be careful with the vent on the right side of the upper glove box - if you are too rough with that portion of the assembly, you will brake the fragile tabs and your right side vent will be come unstable. I broke my tabs off and had to epoxy them back on trying to follow the directions here. so remember, unscrew the left side vent first if you have an 05+ first gen.

JimmyNewtron
Car: 2004 G35 6MT

I also had this issue and instead of taking it apart to fix it, I simply fixed it in place. Here's how:

1) Peel back the loose leather panel -- just enough so you can inject Goop Automotive or other suitable silicone adhesive between the panel and the glove box
2) Clamp it in place as per the attached photo
3) Leave it overnight to dry

That's it! Whole job took less than 5 minutes and the end result is perfect...
Jimmy

P.S. The whole photo upload thing is crap. I'm a computer techie and even I find it way too hard!!! After the third attempt (Dropbox, Gdrive and Onedrive), I almost gave up. And BTW, who uses photobucket???

Return to “G35 and G37 Interior, Exterior and Audio”