took a ride in sentra out west last week......

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
grogman
Car: 2007 versa s hb at onyx blue

took a ride from las vegas through cali last week in a sentra. the rental agency tried to pawn a hhr on me but i saw the sentra and that was that. the conclusion is that if i lived in cali i would buy a sentra over a versa. the sentra eats up mountains and at 75 mph the rpm is at 2300. very quiet and i'm thinking better gas mileage than our versas in extreme driving conditions. the interior is wider but the interior also seems cheaper. this sentra was a base model no cruise etc. but if i could have found a program sentra in my area i would have bought it i'm thinking. in the tc area program sentras go for around 12 grand so they are out there at a good price. but i am happy with the versa. wish we had the 1.8 litre engine from the previous sentra though. the versa would have been more expensive, i'm assuming, if they had gone that route.

Andrews Chalmers
Car: Versa '07 SL CVT

What makes you think the QG18DE engine is more expensive? What is better about it?

I'll take the MR18DE's torque performance.

grogman

i constantly hi rev my versa when passing and the v sits around 3 grand rpm @ 70-75 when going up a gradual slope. the v is louder and seems to be huffing it in extreme driving conditions. the sentra didn't do any of that and i am assuming that the 2.0 litre in the sentra is an upgraded version from the previous 1.8 litre. that's all. i will check it out but i am sure the 1.8 litre sentra engine is better than ours.

grogman

QG18DE

The 1.8 L (1769 cc) QG18DE was designed for Nissan by Aichi Machine Industry, Japan. It is manufactured both in Japan and the Mexican city of Aguascalientes. Bore is 80 mm (3.1 in) and stroke is 88 mm (3.5 in). The engine is tuned to achieve most of its torque at low revs at the expense of raw power at high revs making the engine very responsive in day to day driving. It has a cast iron engine block and aluminum DOHC cylinder head. It uses MPI fuel injection, and features forged steel connecting rods, a one-piece cast camshaft, and a cast aluminum intake manifold. It also features N-VCT (Nissan's Variable valve Timing Control technology).

Specifications

* Displacement - 1.8 liters (1769 cm³) * Layout - DOHC Inline-4 (Straight-4) with VVT tech (called NVTC). * Valves - 16, 4 for each cylinder * Power - 126 hp (94 kW) @ 6000 rpm * Torque - 129 lbf.ft (174 nm) @ 2400 rpm * Redline - 6500 rpm * Fuel Delivery System - electronic fuel injection * Fuel compression ratio - 9.5:1

Emissions Control Devices

* OBDII - Onboard Diagnostic System (codes can be read/erased by a variety of readers, ie Actron) * EGR - Exhaust Gas Recirculation * HO2S - (4) Oxygen Sensors (2 before exhaust catalyst, 2 after) - note a series 2 1.8l has only 2 o2 sensors 1 pre and 1 post * TWC - Three Way Catalyst (2 in exhaust manifold, 1 under car) * EVAP - Charcoal Evaporative Purge Canister * Ignition Timing: 9 degrees BTDC (can be altered +/- 2 degrees using CONSULT-II handheld diagnostic tester) * Knock Sensor - located on engine block; retards timing if pinging/detonation detected. * Heated Throttle Body - heated by engine coolant

MR18DE

The MR18DE is a 1.8 L (1798 cc) version, bore is 84.0 mm (3.31 in) and stroke is 81.1 mm (3.19 in). It produces 128 hp (95 kW). It complemented the Nissan Tiida and Tiida Latio's lineup in mid 2005. This engine is the only one available in the Tiida's American version, the Nissan Versa. Output is 122 hp (91 kW) @5500 rpm and 174 N·m (128 ft·lbf) @4800 rpm.

On July 6, 2006 this engine is also fitted to Nissan Livina Geniss for China version and Nissan GRAND LIVINA for Indonesia and Malaysia version. Output is 93 kW (126 PS) @ 5,200rpm and 174 Nm (17.8 kg-m)/4,800 rpm.

Bore : 84.0 mm (3.31 in) ; Stroke 81.1 mm (3.19 in) ; Capacity : 1797 cc

looks like the qg engine hits high torque end @ half the rpm level of the mr engine. i noticed this low end power going up mountains. the sentra was always effortlessly moving up the mountain no high revving that i am sure the versa would be doing. the v does it on level roads.
Modified by grogman at 8:30 AM 3/28/2009

Slither

Less legroom (than V) in the back of Sentra.

grogman

Slither wrote:Less legroom (than V) in the back of Sentra.
where i live the v is the car i would prefer for all of the reasons why we like it. i am just saying that the sentra 1.8 litre is a better engine in extreme driving conditions. what hurts is that the qg engine is built in the same location as the versa and sentra. maybe the mr is also but i didn't read anything of that nature.

Mubbly
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa S Magnetic Grey

I love my V, but here in California I sometimes have trouble sustaining 60mph uphill. It is pretty embarrassing and I don't want to hit 4000rpm+ to make the speed limit.

Slither

grogman wrote:
where i live the v is the car i would prefer for all of the reasons why we like it. i am just saying that the sentra 1.8 litre is a better engine in extreme driving conditions. what hurts is that the qg engine is built in the same location as the versa and sentra. maybe the mr is also but i didn't read anything of that nature.
The Sentra is a good car. Will be interesting to see what happens when Cube arrives - which of the three gets choked.

ADOversa
Car: 2008 Versa S 6MT Hatch, 2005 Chevy 3500 LWB

I have noticed that they do rev pretty high. Even driving along the highway at 110 I am over 3000rpm... I hate that, it makes me think that I am beating on the car or something

grogman

i'm thinking they all will be around. the cube won't be the entry level nissan but the sentra needs one more good styling change in the front. the grille tries to be too much like big brother altima. i am guessing that the sentra will remain the same next few years but they will be changeing the front somewhat. interior could use some spiffing up also. otherwise that car has low end power to spare. nice car. nice trip. rent a sentra or test drive one. you will notice in the mountains the difference.

Rockhound
Car: 2007 Versa 1.8 SL HB CVT / 2008 Mazda3 GT

Most of the complaints of Versa torque and high RPMs seem to come from Versa S owners that have the 4-speed auto. It's just not geared to make the most of the engine's output. The same was true for my 2002 Infiniti G20 - the SR20 engine was peppy enough at 145hp, but the G20 weighed in at nearly 3000 lbs and it had a frustratingly antiquated 4-speed auto. These two factors conspired to make the car a 10-second 0-60 slug. The standard transmission cut about 1.5 seconds off the 0-60. That's problematic.

The CVT definitely helps the MR18 - highway RPMs are relatively low, low-end torque is more than adequate for uphill acceleration, and to top things off, fuel mileage is better, too. I think Nissan should make all Versas equipped with either the 6-speed manual or CVT - it would definitely help with the mileage rating.

Nissan will have a glut of small cars with the Cube - personally I think the Sentra needs a major facelift inside and out to really compete with the Civic and Corolla as it is intended. It has been neglected since the B13 chassis, getting cheaper and less competitive with each revision. Plus, with the Versa, I've 'seen the light'. Small sedans just aren't very practical - a hatch makes a small car very versatile for cargo hauling.

Atx_Versa
Car: 2008 Nissa Versa SL

Sure the Sentra has some more power behind it. I was just insanely cramped in that car.

*Hatchback FTW!

iluvmyVersa08
Car: 2008 SL Sport

ADOversa wrote:I have noticed that they do rev pretty high. Even driving along the highway at 110 I am over 3000rpm... I hate that, it makes me think that I am beating on the car or something
with the CVT SL i have, i never have that problem. it never revs that high when i'm passing or speeding up, i really love it!

VersaMG08
Car: '10 Mazda 3 s hatchback
'14 Nissan 370z

I test drove a blue onyx '08 Sentra S before I bought my car. If they didn't have my car at the dealer, I probably would of got that instead.

IMHungry
Car: 2008 Versa SL H/B cvt, sport, tech (mine)/2007 Versa S H/B, VOP, 4 spd auto (hers)

I had a Sentra for a demo for about 6 months and IMHO it is a superior car to drive than the V. Two problems though.

1. It's not a hatchback and I definitely wanted a hatchback.2. It's ugly. I mean Nissan has gotten the styling right on the Versa, Altima, Maxima, Rogue (just barely), Murano, Pathfinder, Xterra, and all the others. The only dog in the bunch is the Sentra. Nothing sexy about it. The SER Sentra is the only one that looks decent IMO. The Versa on the other hand is a great design and looks great, especially with the sport package.

But if you could drive with your eyes closed, the Sentra would be the car to get.

iluvmyVersa08
Car: 2008 SL Sport

IMHungry wrote:The Versa on the other hand is a great design and looks great, especially with the sport package.
I agree! Our Versa's looks awesome w/ the sport package!

Mubbly
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa S Magnetic Grey

Rockhound wrote:Most of the complaints of Versa torque and high RPMs seem to come from Versa S owners that have the 4-speed auto. It's just not geared to make the most of the engine's output. The same was true for my 2002 Infiniti G20 - the SR20 engine was peppy enough at 145hp, but the G20 weighed in at nearly 3000 lbs and it had a frustratingly antiquated 4-speed auto. These two factors conspired to make the car a 10-second 0-60 slug. The standard transmission cut about 1.5 seconds off the 0-60. That's problematic.
Should have bought an SL! It gets really frustrating.

grogman

the sentra i was driving was also a 4at. i'm thinking the renault engine was going to stick with the versa. they had no choice since engineering sense rules always. if nissan built this car from scratch i'm thinking one of the qg engines would have been used. torque power in an engine should always peak @ low end revs. this mr engine peaks @ high end which is basically useless. porsches and old vw engines thrived on low end torque. the v will never be famous for low end torque because there isn't any. do yourself a favor and buy a sentra if you do mountain driving.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Rockhound wrote:and it had a frustratingly antiquated 4-speed auto
You ain't kidding. The 4 speed in the '02 G20 was first used by Nissan in nineteen EIGHTY FIVE. And it sucked then. It was used until 2003!

Red Devil
Car: 1990 240SX w/t SR20 and 08 Nissan Versa SL

The Nissan Sentra has the MR20DE as its base engine, not a QG. You're thinking of the previous gen Sentra.

grogman

Red Devil wrote:The Nissan Sentra has the MR20DE as its base engine, not a QG. You're thinking of the previous gen Sentra.
red devil is right.....

2009 Nissan Sentra Specifications Sentra Engine Performance & Fuel Economy • 1,997 cc 2.0 liters in-line 4 front engine with 84.0 mm bore, 90.1 mm stroke, 9.7 compression ratio, double overhead cam, variable valve timing/camshaft and four valves per cylinder MR20DE• Unleaded fuel 87• Multi-point injection fuel system• 14.5 gallon main unleaded fuel tank 12.1• Power: 104 kW , 140 HP SAE @ 5,100 rpm; 147 ft lb , 199 Nm @ 4,800 rpm

i'm now thinking nissan was outsourcing the qg engine manufacturing so they bought renault and now they are using their engines. of course they are refining them i hope. i thought nissan made their own engines i was mistaken. that mr engine in the sentra also has a hi end torque @ hi revs. i wonder if i was driving with the 2.5 litre engine out in cali. it seemed so effort free up the mountains never upshifted.

Red Devil
Car: 1990 240SX w/t SR20 and 08 Nissan Versa SL

grogman wrote:
red devil is right.....

2009 Nissan Sentra Specifications Sentra Engine Performance & Fuel Economy • 1,997 cc 2.0 liters in-line 4 front engine with 84.0 mm bore, 90.1 mm stroke, 9.7 compression ratio, double overhead cam, variable valve timing/camshaft and four valves per cylinder MR20DE• Unleaded fuel 87• Multi-point injection fuel system• 14.5 gallon main unleaded fuel tank 12.1• Power: 104 kW , 140 HP SAE @ 5,100 rpm; 147 ft lb , 199 Nm @ 4,800 rpm

i'm now thinking nissan was outsourcing the qg engine manufacturing so they bought renault and now they are using their engines. of course they are refining them i hope. i thought nissan made their own engines i was mistaken. that mr engine in the sentra also has a hi end torque @ hi revs. i wonder if i was driving with the 2.5 litre engine out in cali. it seemed so effort free up the mountains never upshifted.
Renault bought a controlling interest in Nissan in the mid-late 90's. The MR was jointly developed. The QR25 is only on the SE-R Sentras, 2.5 Altima's and the Frontier.

grogman

renault bought out nissan. just read in the sentra forum that the sentra only has a cvt tranny no 4at. so i was driving a cvt sentra. that is the difference. so really the way to go is a cvt sentra or a cvt versa. the 4at is junk and if the price is similar for the sentra or versa then i would go for the sentra because it's quieter and wider in the interior. the versa 4at wants you to beat it up almost. out.

Onyxblue
Car: 1990 300zx n/a, 08 Versa SL, 07 Pathfinder SE, 08 Sentra

I also bought a used (18k miles) 2008 Sentra 2.0 base for my daughter. Even it has more power than Versa, I do like my Versa better then Sentra.

Rockhound
Car: 2007 Versa 1.8 SL HB CVT / 2008 Mazda3 GT

MinisterofDOOM wrote:You ain't kidding. The 4 speed in the '02 G20 was first used by Nissan in nineteen EIGHTY FIVE. And it sucked then. It was used until 2003!
Wow. I wasn't aware of the history there. I only had the car two years, and sadly enough, that damnable 4-speed was one of the reasons. I overlooked the sluggishness when I bought it, and since I had revered the G20 since the day it debuted, I wasn't about to delay gratification at the time and hold out for a 5-speed model. I should have, though, I'd probably still own it today.

Return to “Versa General Chat”