Told Remote Car Starter can't be installed

All things Altima Coupe.
LAG727

Is it true that a remote car starter CAN NOT be installed in the Altima Coupe because of the Intelligent Key? I have never owned a car without having a remote car starter. The fob is not as important to me as the car starter would be. HELP, please!

AltiCoupeDriver
Car: 2008 3.5 SE Nissan Altima Coupe

http://forums.altimas.org/zerosearch <----- Use it next time.

The remote start can be installed by your Nissan dealer using the factory Intelligent Key, I don't remember but someone had it done. I know its not cheap. Do you have a 6MT or CVT?

rjdmmfl1
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe, Radiant Silver, 3.5SE, Premium Package, VDC

LAG727 wrote:Is it true that a remote car starter CAN NOT be installed in the Altima Coupe because of the Intelligent Key? I have never owned a car without having a remote car starter. The fob is not as important to me as the car starter would be. HELP, please!
1st, welcome 2 NICO... try to stick around, there's a lot of good info on here!

2nd, yes, remote starters can be installed on our cars... I have had one on my car for about 8 months, and I didn't have to give up my kley fob.... I would suggest you

A. Find a better, more competent shop to do the install. At this point, the Altimas have been out for about 2 years now (including Altima Sedan)... any install shop worth their salt should either know how to install a remote starter on a vehicle with intellikey and push start, or at least be able to contact a shop that has this knowledge.

B. WHen you do find a more knowledgeable shop, be sure they use the can-sl2 Can-bus data interface kit... this will allow them to do the install and not have to destory one of your key fobs in the process

While we are on the subject, I would suggest either the Viper 791Xl remote start w/ two way pager, or the Auto Page RS-1000... these are two of the top of the line kits on the market! They include OLED remotes that show you the real time zone that has been breached... try a google search on them! Also, see this post...

http://forums.altimas.org/zerothread?id=310139

the pics are deleted, but the discussion still holds true

rjdmmfl1

AltiCoupeDriver wrote:http://forums.altimas.org/zerosearch <----- Use it next time.

The remote start can be installed by your Nissan dealer using the factory Intelligent Key, I don't remember but someone had it done. I know its not cheap. Do you have a 6MT or CVT?
1. That's a horrible way to greet a new potential member...2. only certain dealers offer the add on remote start using the factory key fob... many don't know hot to do it, or won't do it!3. It doesn't matter whether you have a manual or CVT, remote start kits can work on either with the correct add on module!

headhunt3r
Car: Altima Coupe 2.5S w/ CVT

While we're on topic, can I get more information from those who's gotten the remote starter installed from the dealer? Part numbers, prices, experiences in general would be greatly appreciated. I've seen people talking about this but have never seen this myself nor any great amount of detail.

rjdmmfl1

there's not a lot of info out there on it... try to search, and see if you can get the contact info of the person that did the factory remote start thing... I don't think they are an active NICO member anymore

AltiCoupeDriver

rjdmmfl1 wrote:
1. That's a horrible way to greet a new potential member...2. only certain dealers offer the add on remote start using the factory key fob... many don't know hot to do it, or won't do it!3. It doesn't matter whether you have a manual or CVT, remote start kits can work on either with the correct add on module!
1. I wasn't in anyway overly rude, and showing somebody the search feature isn't a bad thing, for all you know he wasn't aware of it. If he wants to stay, he won't let me deter him.2. He didn't even know if this feature was even possible, and finding a dealer that will/can't/won't install it comes after the fact.3. He may want a clutch bypass switch... (I think so it doesn't ever start in gear, not sure) I never insinuated it only works on a specific one.

Sentientbydesign
Car: 03 Evo VIII - 330 AWHP
05 Subaru Legacy GT Stg 2 - Sold
05 G35 6MT Coupe - 278 WHP - Sold
04 WW Evo VIII - 302 AWHP - Ex's
96 I30 - Sold

I would have been nicer to a new member. Especially regarding such a touchy topic.

CVT versus 6mt can make a difference. My understanding is that it is against the law here in CA to have one on your MT. I don't know and for the price I was quoted, I don't care.

AltiCoupeDriver

You're right, in hindsight I could've been more welcoming, but I didn't exactly give off the 'eff off' attitude. I've seen much much worst here, and elsewhere.

Anyway, I would've never thought it was illegal. I have read that people have gone through some bad times by accidentally starting it in gear.

adidas2go
Car: Cycle through all kinds of cars, trucks, motorcycles, and boats 🤙
Once upon a time: 1st turbo Altima Coupe

A clutch bypass switch doesn't keep your car from going into gear during the start, it just creates the same signal your clutch pedal would send if you manually actuated it.

LongBeachCoupe
Car: 08 Altima Coupe (RIP Hurricane Sandy)
2005 Lexus RX

JET LAGGED 727! Welcome!!!

If you dont mind carrying another fob around (rjdmmfl1 carries 2, and the alarm/autostart looks SWEET).. its def possible!

Find the right shop.

AltiCoupeDriver

Still don't get why its illegal.

adidas2go
Car: Cycle through all kinds of cars, trucks, motorcycles, and boats 🤙
Once upon a time: 1st turbo Altima Coupe

I don't think it is.

LAG727

It is a CVT 2.5. I probably shouldn't have joined the NICOclub forum because I am a middle aged woman who really knows nothing about cars. I just searched the web to find an answer and this site seemed like the right place to try. You have all given me a starting point....thanks.

rjdmmfl1

LAG727 wrote:It is a CVT 2.5. I probably shouldn't have joined the NICOclub forum because I am a middle aged woman who really knows nothing about cars. I just searched the web to find an answer and this site seemed like the right place to try. You have all given me a starting point....thanks.
I wouldn't say you shouldn't have joined this forum... you must understand that since this a a majority male forum, there tends to be a certain level of aggressiveness here. BUt that's just guys being guys. Honestly, when it comes to info on your car, there is no single better online site than this one. This is the largest community of Altima Coupes on the net, and IMO, has the best knowledge out there.

So again, welcome 2 NICO, use the search at the top to search random topics of interest regarding your car (you'll find a lot of neat little things like

1. fixing the auto up feature on your windows after you've disconnected the battery.2. using your key in your key fob to roll up your windows from the outside3. using your key fob to roll down your windows4. setting the alarm to silent if you ever have to

those sound like things that may become of some interest to you, and that way you won't have to read through the entire car manual!

Oh yeah, if you want info on puting TV's, rims, and a booming sound system in your car, we can help with that also ...

just joking... if you have any more questions on your car, feel free to post away!

marlin29311
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35x

AltiCoupeDriver wrote:Still don't get why its illegal.
Putting a remote starter in a manual car is illegal because you technically don't have control over the car. If you were to remote start your car and it's in gear, the car can jump and move on it's own, causing a your car to be "operator-less," which is illegal. Hell, in Jersey it's illegal to coast in neutral (how they'd find out, i have no idea...)...

Electric Magma
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5 w/Premium Package

what? So what you are saying is that KITT is illegal when the hoff wasn't driving it? Whatever.... rules are made to be broken....

headhunt3r

so nobody has information on the mythical factory remote starter eh...

rjdmmfl1

headhunt3r wrote:so nobody has information on the mythical factory remote starter eh...
honestly, what would you people do without me?????

http://forums.altimas.org/zerothread?id=296213

apparently, you can use an aftermarket remote start, with the can-sl2 unit I mentioned earlier, and use your factory remotes... this is probably the same thing the dealer does when they charge you $700 at the factory... hit up the guy in the thread , meanwhile, I'll speak to one of the admins to get them to link this thread in the FAQ page stickies!!!! This question gets asked a few times a year, when each new wave of newbies come to NICO... that's a good thing, I'm not downing newbies at all, I use to be one!

headhunt3r

Ah ok, so it's not so much factory as it is factory looking. Thanks a *ton* for the search result! I tried to do a search but never saw that particular thread.

rjdmmfl1

it may very well be possible that nissan uses its own modules to do this... I'm not sure if any of the infiniti vehicles have remote start as an option, but of so, they may just use that module

LAG727

I think you have solved my problem. Thanks, and once I have the remote installed I guess I will end my forum participation. Not because you aren't all great guys but because I am so clueless that reading the posts make my head spin. I'm the ditsy blonde who, when someone asks what kind of a car do you have, I say "blue". That was an exaggeration but you get the picture. Thanks again.

rjdmmfl1

glad we could be of some assistance... feel free to lurk around and search for other random goodies about the car

Return to “Altima Coupe (2008-2013)”