Tire Pressure Warning Light On Constantly?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
2009 Indigo Blue
Car: Indigo Blue 2009 Rogue S FWD

Since almost when I first bought my Rogue in 2008, the tire pressure warning light went on literally every few weeks, so I'd put more air in & it would be good for a short while. This past summer (2012), I finally got 4 new tires because a screw...not a nail, but a screw was in my tire. NO pressure warning light...then, the light finally went on for the first time last week! WHY?! These are brand new tires only a few months old. I put more air in a couple of the tires. None looked like they were losing air though. But this is the first time the light didn't go off since I added some air. Now, the light has stayed on permanently.

What can I do? The Nissan dealership where I get all my routine maintenance services never are able to say much.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

2009 Indigo Blue wrote:Since almost when I first bought my Rogue in 2008, the tire pressure warning light went on literally every few weeks, so I'd put more air in & it would be good for a short while. This past summer (2012), I finally got 4 new tires because a screw...not a nail, but a screw was in my tire. NO pressure warning light...then, the light finally went on for the first time last week! WHY?! These are brand new tires only a few months old. I put more air in a couple of the tires. None looked like they were losing air though. But this is the first time the light didn't go off since I added some air. Now, the light has stayed on permanently.

What can I do? The Nissan dealership where I get all my routine maintenance services never are able to say much.
Let's start with the obvious, "I put more air in a couple of the tires. None looked like they were losing air though." Did you actually check them before adding air? You need to get a quality tire pressure gauge to make sure each tire is inflated properly.

If they're inflated properly, then you may have a bad sensor. The simplest (and cheapest) solution is just ignore it. People have been driving cars for 100 years now, and suddenly they can't seem to drive without all the added gizmos working (some people have panic attacks if their GPS can't find an address).

Black B15

Agreed with RogueOne....don't judge tire pressure by how the tire looks UNLESS it is completely flat or blown up like a balloon ready to pop.

These TPMS sensors are kind of moody from what I understand. I would agree...get a good air gauge and check em out yourself. Eyeballing a tire really only works if it is seriously low or seriously over-inflated. A tire can be low 10-15 psi and you may not be able to tell visually.

Qashqai

I am going to change my four tires next week and install winter tires with rims. I don't have TPMS on them, because:

1- I don't want to spend money on four extra sensors
2- I don't have time/budget to take the car to the dealer to introduce four sensors each time I change the tires.

So for the next siz months, I will live with TPMS light on and check my own tire pressure every two weeks. I think that TPMS in the ost unnecessary thing in my car.

I wish Nissan spend money on adjustable head rests on the rear seat, instead of that sensors.

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Rogue One wrote:Let's start with the obvious, Did you actually check them before adding air? You need to get a quality tire pressure gauge to make sure each tire is inflated properly.
VERY WELL SAID. on my infiniti g37s, with 19" rims, the tires have such a thin sidewall (245/40-19) that even at 12psi, the tires still look fully inflated, when in fact they are to take 36psi. my sportbike tires are the same = i checked my tires after a winter and they were at 8psi. the tires didnt even look like they lost an ounce of air.
Rogue One wrote:If they're inflated properly, then you may have a bad sensor. The simplest (and cheapest) solution is just ignore it. People have been driving cars for 100 years now, and suddenly they can't seem to drive without all the added gizmos working (some people have panic attacks if their GPS can't find an address).
VERY WELL SAID once again. i have this same exact problem since last January when i bought the car used. i didnt even bother returning it because tons of people have issues with those stupid sensors. i simply check my tire pressure every two weeks just to make sure they are not deflated via a good quality tire gauge.

I also like Qashqai, use winter tires/rims (on my infiniti) and dont have any TPMS. I simply installed regular black rubber valve stems and thats how wifey drive her car during winter. its not a big deal.

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

Also, don't fill the tire to the PSI on the tire itself, that is the MAX psi the tire can take. Fill the tire to the PSI on the sticker on your front door jam, that is the correct pressure your tire should be at.

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

darylzero wrote:Also, don't fill the tire to the PSI on the tire itself, that is the MAX psi the tire can take. Fill the tire to the PSI on the sticker on your front door jam, that is the correct pressure your tire should be at.
The sticker on the door jam, is only for the tires the car came with. the PSI rating on that sticker can over-fill new tires if they are designed for lower psi standards than the OEM tires. not all tires are created equal, and sometimes people mount slightly different size tires after changing from the OEM ones. ALWAYS refer back to the sidewall of the tire if your tires are not OEM ones.

always check your tire sidewall, and subtract 5-10psi(depending of weather/ambient temps, loading, etc)

ras_oscar

The TPSM sensors are calibrated to go off at 2 PSI below the manufacturers' recommended pressure. If the non OEM tires recommend a lower pressure, you would end up living with a perpetual pressure warning light, unless alternate pressure sensors are available?

jryka

I had a similar problem and stopped by the tire store. They brought out a handheld device to reboot the bluetooth connection and that solved the problem.

Return to “Rogue Forum”