Tire advice sought for G37S

Shocks, springs, sway bars, coliovers, bushings, brakes, wheels, tires - This is the place to discuss G-Series suspension modifications!
marcgold
Car: 2008 G37 Coupe Sport 6MT

Hi everyone,

I have an '08 G37S coupe (RWD, 6MT). I need to replace the rear tires, Michelin Pilot SuperSports, which have worn down after only 18 or 19,000 miles (the front tires still have life left in them). I was happy with the tires up to now, but was expecting to get more life out of them - I don't track the car, and don't do burnouts. I get enough snow where I live that I was thinking of switching to a high performance all-season tire. Does anyone have experience with A/S tires on these cars? How badly would they compromise the dry-weather handling, at speeds up to 75 or so? What would happen if I put A/S tires on the rear and kept the Pilot S/S up front for now? And if A/S tires aren't a good idea, what are your collective thoughts on Michelin vs. Bridgestone summer tires; and what other brands are worth considering?

Thanks in advance,

Marc

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

I've had a good bit of experience with the Continental XtremeContact DWS all season tires. They seem like some of the best all seasons I've ever come across. Dry weather handling remained very good (on par with some dedicated summer tires I've used).

You can mix the fronts and rears, but if your fronts are still good and sticky, your car might be more likely to oversteer at the limit with all seasons in the back.
Michelin makes a GREAT tire. They are the best in terms of roundness and balance. Bridgestone, Dunlap, etc also make good, sticky tires. I currently have Dunlap Direzza ZII tires on the back of my Miata. They are sticky as hell.

Starter
Car: 13 G37X sedan
11 G37S sedan

I replaced the OE summer tires on mt G37S sedan with Hankook S1 Noble2 high performance all seasons about a year ago. I've been very happy with them. Good handling, low noise, good wear. Very nice in the dry or wet.

I'd strongly advise replacing all four. The difference in tread pattern, rubber compound and construction, while not too noticeable in normal driving, could really catch you out while driving quickly or in an emergency avoidance maneuver.

Return to “G35 and G37 Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tires”