Tips for installing cylinder head (HELP)

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
brage

I'm installing my cylinder head after blowing a seal on the head gasket - and I want some simple advice... I want to make sure the head bolt threads are clean and the threads in the block are clean so that I can be positive about my torque specs... anyone have recomendations for this? Is there some sort of solution I can use in the block and remove with compressed air to ensure the threads are clean? Of course I have had the block covered with plastic since the head was removed and I will have the bolts in the head while cleaning the mating surface... The FSM and the altima/240sx chiltons book don't say anything about it :(. Corky bell tells me it is very important :ooo:

Question # 2 - I had the head cleaned and such and I have all of the lifters/shims removed (obviously labeled for where they belong :) and I wish to know what lube is recommended for installing these back into the head... should I lube the valve springs with something before doing this or what? Again, not mentioned in the FSM!!!

Thanks!

-Jeff

leper421
Car: Current: 2011 370z
Previous: 2003 350z, 1991 240sx

For a head job I did on a non-240sx, I used a wire wheel on a bench grinder to clean the bolts. If you can find a tap (used for cutting threads in holes) large enough of the exact size and thread pitch for the holes on the block, that will work for cleaning.

bruinbear714

leper421 wrote:For a head job I did on a non-240sx, I used a wire wheel on a bench grinder to clean the bolts. If you can find a tap (used for cutting threads in holes) large enough of the exact size and thread pitch for the holes on the block, that will work for cleaning.

I just used white lithium assembly lube that you can pick up in any hardware store. And remember to tighten the bolts to specs.

technoman
Car: puss

Do not use the used head bolts. put the head back together with vasoline or tranny red greese.

Dattebayo
Car: 2004 Frontier Desert Runner

whats this about coating the head in plastic? I need to know that if i should cause i gotta put in the 9.1:1 SOHC pistons in my dohc and want to put in a smaller gasket. Are you actually coating the head in a laminate of some kind or what?

brage

... stuff about friction and threads being in perfect condition ... "This limits the number of times a bolt or stud is used, because it becomes scored, gouged or otherwise damaged. Three times is probably stretching it." (Corky Bell)

My ascertation on the subject is that if your bolts are clean and there are no visible signs of a problem - they are probably fine... I would say re-using the bolts once on a car with less than 110,000 miles is probably fine.

-Jeff

technoman
Car: puss

Make sure after the engine is back together. You try to start the engine with it's ignition disabled. this brings up oil.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”