timing chain labor costs?

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
mewt240
Car: multimedia artwork

hello- I've read just about every thread related to the fabulous timing chain replacement. I was wondering if anyone took their car to a mechanic to have it done. I have a '93 with 105K mi. and the ratttling seems to be more apparent than it used to be. does anyone know what a realistic price is for that service? I (unfortunately) have no workshop and the tools I do have are in storage. I am also trying to determine what else I could upgrade and replace at the same time without too much added cost. I figure if the engine is already stripped down that much I might as well throw some decent parts in there. I am looking at a metal head gasket and possibly a port and polish job. any suggestions?

BTW-I just got a new cooling system installed-radiator, waterpump, thermostat due to failure of old parts.

bj180sx
Car: cars

buy the parts from courtesy-nissan and save. Should run youy a total of $800-$900 for a total of parts and labor. Get a pulley and intake.

R240NA

mewt240 wrote:hello- I've read just about every thread related to the fabulous timing chain replacement. I was wondering if anyone took their car to a mechanic to have it done. I have a '93 with 105K mi. and the ratttling seems to be more apparent than it used to be. does anyone know what a realistic price is for that service? I (unfortunately) have no workshop and the tools I do have are in storage. I am also trying to determine what else I could upgrade and replace at the same time without too much added cost. I figure if the engine is already stripped down that much I might as well throw some decent parts in there. I am looking at a metal head gasket and possibly a port and polish job. any suggestions?

BTW-I just got a new cooling system installed-radiator, waterpump, thermostat due to failure of old parts.

Porting and polishing and a metal head gasket will be more work since you'll need the head off, a timing chain job doesn't require that. You'll only need to pull the front covers. Parts can be had for as low as $200, it's about 4 hours labor for someone experienced. Nissan book rate is 16 hours, so find someone who charges hourly rates.

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

I've done it twice, if you live close, I'll do it for cheap.

(The itsy bitsy post whore posted on Nico, down came the moderators and booted his as* out, up came the lawyers and shut the f*ckers down, and the itsy bitsy post whore is a rich f*cker now ;) )

float_6969

I'm a creative genius!

240_s14

I had the timing chain replaced when I bought the car, but when they actually got into it they had to replace the gears and rails that came with the timing chain. While they had it ripped apart I went ahead and got the water pump replaced. All in the end I spent near $1100. I don't understand one thing, and maybe someone could answer it for me. . . why use a METAL chain and PLASTIC GEARS AND RAILS???. . . why?

:confused:

float_6969

well..... first of all there aren't any plastic gears, so I hope they didn't feed you a line of **** on that one. As for the plastic guides, you kinda have to. If you use metal, you're gonna have metal shavings in your oil pan. Also, it could wear the chain and a broken chain is a bad thing. But rest assured, Nissan changed the materials that they used on the guides, so they should last longer, and I think they made the tentioners stronger too, but I could be wrong about that. I am sorry that you spent so much money on it though, I think you kinda got ripped, but I'm not sure either, I've never had someone else done it.

240_s14

Well I could be wrong with using the word plastic, the shop told me that the tensioner, gears and rails were not metal, but gave me some other type of material, can't remember the name right now. I know he didn't rip me off, he has worked on many many cars from me and my family. The big part was the damn labor. I know he is expensive, but he is really really good and backs his work to the fullest.

float_6969

the gears are metal. no plastic at all. the tentioners have plastic on them where it comes into contact with the chain. The guides are made of plastic. Well I guess it doesn't matter regardless, if he does good work and you trust him and the work is done, they drive the car and love it!

240_s14

Must agree with you totally.

mewt240
Car: multimedia artwork

I thought the head would come off because that is how the service manual describes the process, if it doesn't REALLY have to come off then that must save on some labor. I was thinking of getting the timing chain kit from courtesy nissan for $400, I have a trustworthy mechanic that I am planning on getting a quote from soon. Thanks for the info, much appreciated, I just wish I had the means to do it myself (time, tools, workspace!)

BTW-I have noticed that I am burning some oil, not too much, but I was wondering if a leaky head gsket could be a cause? I t probably isn't that much more too have it replaced if the front covers and associated parts have to come off for the chain job anyway then right?

float_6969

I know that the service manual says to take the head off, but this isn't neccisary. The only reason that they say to do this is because the gasket between the upper and lower timing chain covers, is part of the head gasket. If you are careful when doing the work, there is no reason to take the head off. Like I said before I've done this twice and I pretty much know the quick ways of doing it. Oh, and if you think that you can do it w/o taking the oil pan off, think again. I know that it is a pain to have to take the front subframe off just to get to the damn pan, but it'will save you alot of headache, trust me. As for burning oil, no it's probabally not the head gasket. If it is burning it all the time, it probabally means that you're due for a new set of rings/pistons. If it only does it at start up, then it is the valve guides.

93_240sx

Hi, R240NA , where did you get your timing chain for $200 bucks

jericson
Car: golfing, and oh but ofcourse trying to make my car faster, and better looking

hey Mewt 240,

now i cant tell you how much a mechanic costs, but I will suggest that you go to one or if you have a Good mechanic friend do it. I say this because I did it with a friend of mine who is a descent mechanic and it took forever. When we finally figured out that the timing chain cover on the front of the engein was connected all the way to the oil pan it was to late, and I had to go to a dealer and get a new cover for like 400 bucks! When I put it back on before I knew that I had radiator coolant leaking into my engine oil and boy did that suck. As far as the tensioners they are a hard plastic. I wish now that I had also got a performance cam gear at the same time. So just wanted to tell you about my bad luck.

Joe:)

red240ne
Car: mmm...donuts

you could just be like me and ignore it:D my problem with it just went away:icesangel

sil80drifter
Car: 1990 240SX Hatch

OK. Napa has a Timing Chain Kit, includes Chain, Tensioner, both guides, and both gears. 114 bucks. Gasket is sold separatly for 19 bucks. Where/Why the hell one should spend 200+ dollars is beyond me. If the kit is unavailable then Napa also has: everything separatly for about 150 bucks.

hope u save some money.

I am doing the chain thing in a week or so.

Wish me luck.

sil80drifter

sil80drifter
Car: 1990 240SX Hatch

The Beck Arnley Kit costs 174 bucks, also at Napa, but it's contents are unknown.

sil80drifter

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”