Timing Advance in NY/NJ

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
silverkorn

hey guys just wanted to let you know i can do the timing advance for anyone in the NY or NJ area. I have personally done this on my own vehicle, Nissan Titan and Nissan Maxima, as well as other Nissan owners. send me a PM or email if your interested.

tollboothwilley
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan w/ NAV

i have heard mixed feelings about this....

shed a little more light on it if you would, from your perspective.

how much do you charge to do the timing advance?

RED_DET
Vendor
Car: 2004 6 speed G35 Sedan, 2011 G37x, 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R SR20DET, C7Z06

Normally there is some room to advance timing on most nissan/infiniti vehicles I have seen by 2-3*. It should be set 15* BTDC, but most are around 13. The limit is 17* and still be within recommendation. I wish I had someone that would do mine, I would be all over it. This was one of the cheapests mods on the ole SR20 and still is.

silverkorn

sorry took me so long to reply, but to answer your question...

you can find a good amount of info here:http://www.2degreeadvance.com/

in my own words, i found this to be a really good addition to cars and trucks that have a throttle-by-wire type of throttle body primarily. It is hard to describe to people but it makes the throttle response much better and gives you a little more power, it feels like the car/truck has woke up and reacts much quicker. the power increase is very small but the throttle response advantage can be felt instantly and is not something you think is working. There are no disadvantages to doing the timing adjustment, even if by some chance you get bad gas and expierence some knock the engine will detect this and retard the timing back to a stock level.

on older cars you could adjust the timing by simply rotating the distributor on the engine to advance or retard timing, but now with direct ignition (distributorless) setups on most newer cars the ignition timing is controlled entirely through the ECU/ECM which means you now need a computer and software to advance the timing.

tollboothwilley

whats the cost on this?

4drmadness
Car: 04 g35 infiniti sedan

hmm im interested. can you ship it with a DIY

tollboothwilley

ummmmm....

you hook the car to the computer to do this

4drmadness

i c. im down to give this a shot

silverkorn

At this point i am only aware of three ways to get your timing advanced.

1. go to your local nissan/infiniti dealer and have them hook your vehicle to their Consult computer diagnostics tool. In there you can adjust the timing advance +2 degrees. However some dealer will not perform this, as they think it will void your warenty (which is wrong), or they usually want a sum of money for a standard "diagnostics" hookup, which can be close to $80 in some cases. Thats one of those thing it all comes down to who you know and how well you know them. 2. AutoEnginuity (http://www.autoenginuity.com) - you need to purchase the standard OBD-II Scan tool ($250) and the Nissan/Infiniti enhanced packed ($150) you can then use a laptop, or desktop with long enough cables, and change some of the same settings that a dealership can with their more expensive Consult3. UpRev's Cipher (http://www.uprev.com/products.php) - you need to purchase the cipher software package ($300) which will allow you to change certain settings in most newer nissan/infiniti's

there is a fourth option, which is much cheaper depending on the situation. You can find someone locally who has access to the software and they can perform the service for you, some people charge a nominal fee and some will do it for free. I personally have been charging people $20 to do the advanced, mainly to pay for gas as i will meet people halfway. But i know some people will perform the advance for free at certain meet & greets, check the link i posted previously for people that would be near you.

i personally have the Autoenginuity software and would be glad to help answer any more questions if you guys have them

tollboothwilley

thanks

i'm gonna be looking into getting this done for sure.

4drmadness

let me know what option you go with

silverkorn

any update?

BrandAidDesignG35
Car: G35

See the new post in general discussions

I'm looking to get this done soon! Thanks for all the info!

Geo180
Car: 2007 G35x

Hi,

How far are you from the George Washington Bridge?

silverkorn

im at 10990
Geo180 wrote:Hi,

How far are you from the George Washington Bridge?

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”