Throttle Lag Firmware Flash?

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
Rockhound
Car: 2007 Versa 1.8 SL HB CVT / 2008 Mazda3 GT

I've been researching vehicles to determine what I want to replace my G20 with...after a few months of home ownership, I can see that something with more cargo space is a must. I've set my sights on the Mitsubishi Outlander, for various reasons, instead of a compact truck as I originally thought.

Anyway, as I browsed various Outlander forums, I read thread after thread about the DBW throttle lag that owners were experiencing. Mitsubishi then released a TSB to re-flash the computer's firmware, and apparently the throttle response is nearly instantaneous now.

So my question is...I wonder what the chances are that such a procedure could help quicken the response on the Versa? But perhaps that's putting the cart before the horse - how do we get Nissan to acknowledge that the Versa needs such a re-programming? It is apparent that other companies know how to improve response time of their DBW systems.

reyes1212
Car: Super Black '07 Nissan Versa

geeze that would be grand because I hate the lag once you shift into second lol

Rockhound

Yeah, although I've got the CVT, it's still pronounced. Like when you're slowing down when approaching stopped traffic ahead at a light - then the traffic starts to move and you don't come to a complete stop, when you step on the gas again (say you were down to sub-10 mph) it's pretty jerky. Sounds like an isolated situation, but it happens more often than I'd like.

A few weeks ago there was a discussion about the DBW and whether or not it could be made to respond faster - but I think this example of the Outlander proves that a DBW can have better responsiveness if programmed properly.

So now what, do we just complain to Nissan?

Bubs daddy
Car: 2007 Versa SL
ABS, CVT

I haven't noticed any lag on the throttle since I bought the car last December.

Joker69
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa S Sedan, 1978 Datsun 280Z 2+2, 1983 Mercedes 300SEL, 1997 Eagle Talon

That would be great, cuz i hate the lag too. so do we gotta tell Nissan or what?

07Vsdn
Car: 2007 Versa SL Sedan

i have an 06 mustang gt and the first mod everyone recommends on the forums is to get a new intake and re-tune of the computer.

(they switched to a dbw for the new mustang and it has some pretty fierce lag.)

i purchased a new intake/tune and it turned my car into a monster!

why these car companies can't get their dbw systems right i don't know...

Rockhound

Bubs daddy wrote:I haven't noticed any lag on the throttle since I bought the car last December.
Well, then it seems that you just haven't noticed it...it's quite pronounced. Put your car in Park on your driveway sometime and then blip the throttle to rev the engine slightly - there will be a delay. Or, while driving on a secluded street, slow down to 10 or 5 mph, and before coming to a complete stop, step on the throttle to accelerate again - that's when it'll probably jerk the car.
07Vsdn wrote:why these car companies can't get their dbw systems right i don't know...
Yes, that confuses me, too. DBW systems have been around long enough to have been mostly perfected. If they can tune the firmware to reduce throttle lag, how come they don't just program it that way from the beginning?
Joker69 wrote:so do we gotta tell Nissan or what?
I'm really not sure what the next step is...call Nissan USA?

lain
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa S

It's not that bad of a delay. I put my car in neutral and pressed the gas, tried kicking the gas pedal, and even smashing on it. The delay was about .2-.5 seconds. Nothing bad, just have to rev up whenever I want to move fast.

Rockhound

lain wrote:It's not that bad of a delay.
Any delay, if noticeable (which it is very noticeable to me, coming from a cable-throttle car) is not good, if you ask me.

The point here is that other manufacturers have stepped up and provided what amounts to programming updates to improve throttle response...many, many folks on here have mentioned that the delay is noticeable to them. Everyone's going to have their own level of tolerance for such things - but I still think Nissan should provide a re-flash update a la Mitsu & Ford.

NewToVersa

Please everybody write to Nissan, it's the only way they will wake-up.

Return to “Versa General Chat”